Good Value, So Far
By Matt on
2007 Volkswagen Jetta Wolfsburg Edition 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl 5M)
I just traded in my '01 Wolfsburg Edition for the new '07 model. The engine is solid; it whines a bit at low speeds but has enough juice. The lack of a Turbo takes some of the "fun factor" out of it. The old one had one, but the lack of a turbo but probably makes for a more reliable ride. The styling is OK, it's grown on me a lot since I first saw it. I used to think it looked just like a Corolla but now think it looks a bit more distinguished, especially in black. It has lots of thoughtful extras. Overall I am happy, it has modest power, convincing leatherette, a moonroof, a 10-speaker stereo and heated seats plus a good warranty for under $20,000. I shopped the Altima (great but more money), Civic/Accord, Camry, and Fusion. This was the clear winner.
Favorite Features
They ditched the over-the-CD player dinky cup holders, and it doesn't smell like crayons. Popping the trunk actually pops it all-the-way open. The heated seats! The tire pressure warning indicator. I like how this is such a safe car. I also like the AUX input in the glove box, but why in the glove box & not in the center console?
Suggested Improvements
No leather on wheel and shift knob - why? The shifter boot is made of junk material. The radio buttons are oddly configured and too far away from the driver. I hate the outsourced Mexican parts and labor. The stereo has 10 speakers, but only 'OK' sound quality. Why is a black interior only available on Passat and not the Jetta?