2005 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Jetta model:
Stay Away
By John on 01/12/06 15:08 PM (PST)

2005 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan New 2.5 PZEV 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

This 2.5 Jetta is the tenth VW we've owned in fifteen years. It is junk. The transmission skips, it will not engage in drive or reverse properly, and there is a dangerous lapse when taking off from a slow down. The rain sensor wipers are terrible. They sometimes wipe when the windshield is dry or won't wipe at all in a downpour. On continuous wipe they go into intermittent (this car does not have it). The climatronic is screwed up. The a/c comes on by itself when temp is set at 70 and it won't turn off. I have been to two dealers and VW service cannot fix anything. The VW area rep has refused to do anymore warranty service. I am filing lemon law and VW is fighting it. I will never buy VW again.

Terrible Car - Will Never Buy One Again
By Della on 01/10/06 15:19 PM (PST)

2005 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan New 2.5 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

I bought my 2005 Volkswagen Jetta 2.5 the first day it was available in Texas - Huge mistake! My car has been in the shop 5 times in 9 months, and the worst thing about it is that I am still having problems. The sunroof has broken twice. The speakers rattle terribly! They have already been fixed once, but I still have the problem. There is a clicking in the dashboard that they supposively fixed (still there). It is an automatic, but I can feel my transmission stick as it goes from gear to gear. The clock doesn't keep accurate time. They were unable to fix either of these problems. When I start the car, it is extremely loud! I am a first time VW buyer, and I can guarantee that I will never buy another!

I Love It!
By tfs on 12/23/05 14:46 PM (PST)

2005 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLI 1.8T 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

This is the seventh VW I have owned in my life and it has been the best handling, and most fun to drive of the lot of them. The seat, 6 speed gear box and 18" tires make it a blast to drive in the tight twisty country roads here in Wisconsin. I did get a second set of tires for the long winter months here and it still handles the road fine.

My Third Jetta
By bonnie on 12/17/05 20:49 PM (PST)

2005 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan New 2.5 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

I just traded in my Jetta for the new 2005 Jetta. I love this car! I have owned a 2000 TDI and a 2005 Jetta. What an upgrade from the previous vehicles.

Love my Jetta 2005.5!
By Linda on 12/05/05 10:09 AM (PST)

2005 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan New 2.5 PZEV 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

I have had my 2005 Volkswagen Jetta 2.5 for six months, it is always ready to go when I am. It is very confortable and very responsive on the highway.

Whats with all the Noises?
By Sunny on 11/21/05 18:14 PM (PST)

2005 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan New 2.5 PZEV 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

Overall I love my new Jetta, but have found there are some major problems with noise. First of all the wind noise when you get to 45 mph or over is horrible. Luckily I have the XM radio to drown out the noise but now I am hearing a clicking noise from the dash area? This coupled with the horrible noise at start up has me wishing I had waited another year. People look at me when I start the car up and have said "is something grinding in there?" I am disappointed considering how much I paid for a new car!

No Regrets
By kaigoss69 on 11/14/05 16:23 PM (PST)

2005 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan New 2.5 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

I bought this car as a family car (2 adults, 2 young kids) to replace our Honda Pilot. I must say I was very leary about getting rid of the bigger Pilot, mainly because of the loss in cabin and trunk space, but I have been pleasantly surprised by the amount of trunk space the Jetta offers, and interior space, especially in the back seat, is sufficient for our needs. The 2005 model offers a lot of "bells and whistles" standard that do not come standard in the 2006 model, and that's the main reason I went with an '05. The interior design and build quality are superb. The car is built like a rock. The ride is nice and sporty, acceleration is decent. Gas mileage is 20 C / 32 H after 700 miles.

Great Car!
By Farah on 11/09/05 11:37 AM (PST)

2005 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan New Value Edition PZEV 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl 5M)

I love driving this car! I've had older Toyota Camrys and a Honda Accord...and my 2005 Volkswagen Jetta Value Edition feels so much more powerful. Also, it looks really nice.

A Few Kinks, but I Love It!
By cindy on 10/23/05 13:52 PM (PDT)

2005 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan New Value Edition 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl 6A)

I traded my Jeep because of gas prices and love this Jetta. I had done earlier research on the Jetta back in late 90's and was not impressed but this year was a completley different car. I love the ride until you have to floor it, would be nice to have a little more pick up and go when needed. I have a driver side sterio speaker issue that I need to fix, the car does start up kinda loud but then it goes away and runs smoothly. The trunk space is GREAT and the numerous other german features are wonderful and I enjoy! I have hit 45-50 miles to the gallon driving wisely, or maybe I just got a good engine.

So Far So Good
By crawling on 10/21/05 23:02 PM (PDT)

2005 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan New 2.5 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl 5M)

I owned an Audi TT before the Jetta. I loved my TT but realized that maybe I couldn't afford it after the warranty runs out. The Jetta is more comfortable than the TT. It rides more smoothly. It just doesn't snap your head back when you put it in third and give it some gas. But still, if I close my eyes when I walk to the car and then get in the Jetta, I am in a luxury Audi TT. It has a nice sound system, sunroof, heated seats, and sweet leather. Enjoy life! I really like this Jetta!