Used 2005 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Jetta model:

Good basic car but
By Sam

2005 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Love the sound system Monsoon. Good ride and mileage. Paint job is suspect. I have many chips on front of car and have never experienced this with any cars dating back many years. Especially concerning since previous cars were subjected to gravel roads and this has never been on gravel or dirt roads. Transmission problems necessitated valve replacement which was covered under warranty.

Nice ride for small car and respectable mileage considering that it is quite peppy in its acceleration. Nice appearance.

Better paint job. Rear seat is quite cramped for adults.

Vdub
By Kevin

2005 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan New 2.5 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl 5M)

First European car, super fun and super safe to drive. Bought it for pregnant wife and she fell in love with it. Certainly won't be last VW we own.

Power, good gas mileage for 2.5 5 cyl, fun to drive, dual climate control, rain sensing wipers.

Cruise control could be in different location, radio controls on steering wheel (cruise control also, maybe, eh?), little looser on the seats, cheap wheel covers (car is LOADED, yet has cheap plastic wheel covers).

Love this!
By mmills

2005 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan New Value Edition 4dr Sedan (2.5L 5cyl 5M)

Even though we bought the value package, it still has some great features. Power windows and doors and remote entry are really great! For a 4 cyl. it still drives nice. It fits our three kids in the back with one booster seat. Lots of trunk space!!! We bought new and have had no problems. It is the perfect small car for us. My husband is tall and I am really short and it is very comfortable for both, unlike the Honda. I felt like I was in a Low rider. The Jetta makes me feel taller and more comfortable. Would (and have) recommend this car to others.

Remote trunk. size. sporty. Love the fact that the oil doesn't have to be changed as often as some manufacturers. Would definitely recommend purchasing the maintenance package because it tells me what needs to be done on the coupon and I have already paid for it!! great safety features.

A little better gas mileage. Otherwise, if I had upgraded, I would have gotten some of the things I would recommend, so that was my choice.

Germans do it better!
By Lulu

2005 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GL 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

This was my first brand new car and I've been completely happy with it. The base line model (GL) doesn't feel very base line with remote key less entry, power windows/locks, CD AM/FM and cassette, cruise control, chrome trim accents and those cool purple dash board lights. It's comfortable, reliable, nice to drive and gets good mileage. Servicing is reasonably priced and so is the car itself. I don't think the signal lights staying on were manufacturer default, but operator malfunction. Here's a tip, turn the lights OFF and they won't run your battery down. Good luck backing up in that ION. (that's a bad shape)

I love the seat height adjuster- very ejector seat style! The mini sun visor over the rear view mirror is very handy. Great size trunk for a small car. (3 adults fit comfortably and 9 small children)

I agree with Erin about the oddly placed cup holders. I think the glove box is oddly shaped as well, however I have managed to shove an obscene amount of crap in there.

Problems Already
By Problems

2005 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GL 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my 2005 Jetta used with around 30K miles on it and have had it just over a year. I love the looks of it and have enjoyed having the vehicle until now. My vehicle had 42K miles on it when I started hearing a rattling noise. Come to find out, I had to have most of my engine replaced! When I went to pick it up, I drove about 1 block from the dealership when my car started jerking and wouldn’t always accelerate when the gas was applied. I immediately drove it right back to the dealership and now I'm needing a whole new transmission! Thank God all this is covered under warranty but I don't think it's right that a car with so few miles should be having so many major problems!

Overall look of the interior and exterior of the vehicle.

Better engines and transmissions!