Used 2003 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Volkswagen Jetta - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Jetta model:

Do Not Buy....:(
By inthaps

2003 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GL 1.8T 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

There are serval issues that will come along with a owning a Jetta. The car is one of the most unreliable car I have ever owned. Malfunctions-power windows, transmission, water pump, sound system, engine coil. I hope this review will help you choose your vehicle wisely. I wish that I would have done more research. Do not be fool to believe that all VW owners are truly happy. Ask the opinion of those that are near the service department of the dealer you may choose to visit. They will speak the truth and not steer you in the wrong direction, since they have first hand experience.

Favorite Features

SERVICE...the service from the staff at VW will typically be very pleasant. The car is well design and very fun to drive.

Suggested Improvements

Engine cooling system could be better. Nob - adjusting seats. Cup Holder really needs a new home, above the CD Player is not an ideal place. Interior should be upgraded to represent a more modern look to compete with other vehicle in the same competitive set.

Show me the gravel trap......
By Stanley Lui

2003 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLI VR6 4dr Sedan (2.8L 6cyl 6M)

1st day: cool'n fan rattles, technician stuck his hand in it and have it stop. (What?) 6th day: noise at left front wheel, inspect'n scheduled 2 wks later. 19th day: before inspect'n, left front ball joint collasped, thanks God it didn't happened on hwy. (The reason I purchased this car was for its sport ability, but road handling was not there! I almost match the fate of Mr. Zinardi) Car towed to dealer, fixed same day. Dealer suspects someone sleep'n at assembly line. Rec'd 1 monthly paym't from Volks for this incident. My 4th Volkswagon tells me 1 fact: Reliability declines after moving the assemble line to S. America.

Favorite Features

VR6 improved from my 1993 passat, much quicker. Nice and good looking 17" alloy wheels. A lovely 6 speed manual gear box. Quality materials out do any other imports in its price range.

Suggested Improvements

Handl'g needs to be improved. Couldn't fully releash its engine power due to unstability while accelerat'g. I don't expect to drive this thing slow but a more gas mileage would be nice. Hydrolic trunk lid save storage space but needs to close it with extra strenth, not for ladies.

Great little car
By gtruk

2003 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLI VR6 4dr Sedan (2.8L 6cyl 6M)

I traded in a Mustang Bullitt for this car and am not disappointed. Although I miss the 275HP and 315torque, this car makes up for that in character. I have 10k miles and haven't had any major problems yet! The only problem I've had so far is a small squeak coming from the glove box. The gas mileage is alright, but could be a little better for a 6 cylinder. The materials used for the interior are light years ahead of US car makers and everything fits snug. My ears actually pop when I roll up all the windows! The only annoying thing is having to pull the headrests out when you want to fold down the rear seats. Overall this is a great car and I'd recommend it.

Favorite Features

The dash lights, sporty rims (mine has a wing and really makes the car look sharp), HUGE trunk, quiet engine, and the best thing I've ever seen on a car is a rubber strip under the hood to keep dirt and debris from getting into the engine comp. Very clever!!!

Suggested Improvements

CUP HOLDERS!!! Put liquid just above the electronics, bad idea! A little more HP out of the engine would be good, say 230HP, considering the high comp ratio and what other foreign makers are able to squeeze out of their engines. POWER SEATS PLEASE!!!

Fun drive - Mediocre reliability
By kmm

2003 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GL 1.8T 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5A)

Bought this car for my son back in May- 2003 and I must admit that it is very fast and a blast to drive. The car handles and performs well except for a bit of turbo lag. Interior is adequate. Having been spoiled by Japanese quality, I was dissapointed with unreliability of the car. Since buying it 5 months ago, it has been in the shop 5 times - 3 little things like a broken trunk lock and twice for dead batteries. The volkswagen dealer's been very good throughout however, providing loaner cars, etc. Overall we like the car, but would suggest you consider the trips to the service dept.

Favorite Features

Turbo's a must have, wouldn't consider the car without it. Handling, Styling, and Interior lighting. Friendliness and service of the people at the dealership.

Suggested Improvements

Improve the parts quality (ie. locks, batteries, windshield wipers, etc.)

Great Car...
By scalif20@aol.com

2003 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

My jetta has served me well but have had a couple little issues with it...Whats up with the noise while the car is being turned???Need to get it into the shop...and what about it being really loud at 75mph and up...its screaming for a 6th gear. But the Car is fun and lots of compliments...especially abuot the dash and outisde appearance. I do love the car but my eyes are turning towards that 2003 Toyota 4 Runner

Favorite Features

Dash,

Suggested Improvements

NEW CUPHOLDERS>>>>>need a 6 speed on the GLS...Am I the only one who doesnt like the key????