2001 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Jetta model:
white wolf
By whitewolf on 07/06/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLS Wolfsburg Edition 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

this is my first vee dub. love the german feel. i find myself driving with the windows down so i can listen to the turbo whistle. love the 1 touch windows and sunroof. the monsoon rocks. sounds better and louder then bose stereos ive heard and it was only a couple hundred upgrade. lots fo features for money. the whole wolfsburg package is great with the bbs wheels, sport seats, leather wheel and shifter. i dressed mine up with a spoiler, mud guards, tinted side marker and vw. chrome exhaust tips. in side i have the new vw aluminum dash kit. it personalizes it. i havent seen another white one in a year. after my lease is up ill buy another one

The Bumper!
By left on the curb on 07/03/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLS VR6 4dr Sedan (2.8L 6cyl 5M)

The bumper keeps getting stuck on curbs. I back out, the bumper doesn't. It's plastic, and the screws just tear right out. Dealership doesn't cover it. Annoying! But love it otherwise...

Fun Card
By Sebastian on 07/03/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I think that the new Jetta is a great car. It is a bit smaller than what i thought, and it is right now being one of the down sides, at least for me. But besides that, i believe it is a great car!

Love it love it loveit
By Lori H on 06/26/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GL 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I love this car. It look great, it runs great and it gets great gas mileage!! I love it so much more than the malibu I was driving!

hsssssssssss
By lovin the vdub on 06/25/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

I love the car. Upset that the 2001 has only 155 hp and the 2002 has 185, but these things can be fixed. Easy to work with and one of the best manual cars I have driven. I put about 20,000 miles on my car a year for work and I have never been uncomfortable for a second. Nothing like the feeling of driving in 6 inches of snow and not having to worry about the ABS or traction control not working. I was passing most of the all wheel drive vehicles.

Very Unreliable for a VW
By psykosonik on 06/18/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Just to let buyers know there are several issues to be aware of before purchasing a new or used 2000-2001 VW Jetta. They are very prone to issues. First off, I bought my car new in Aug 2000, it is a 2001 VW Jetta. In less than 2 years have had an Oxygen Sensor recall, both Driver and Passanger Window regulators have broke, resulting in the windows falling inside the doors, the electrical wiring has had to be rewired, the Brake Switch broke and needed replacing, and the interior plastic is already peeling. I have owned VW's in the past and am just beside myself at the poor quality of this car!!

Unreliable but fun and sexy
By mrein on 05/20/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLS 1.8T 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

This car is fun to drive, sophisticated in exterior styling, very responsive and quick acceleration. BUT I've been stranded on a dark road at night one time by an indeterminate electrical problem; limped home on a very hot day with my elderly parents along (needed a NEW transmission that time); had the ignition coils replaced within 500 miles of going out of warrenty (the dealer didn't charge); and now the trouble light is on again.

Rattles!!!
By mth on 05/20/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

I can't stop all the rattles! The instrument panel is the worst followed closely by the drivers door and then the rear door tweeter mounts. Now the A/C control backlight has burnt out. 8 months and instrumentlights are burning out? AND the dealer said that the vibration I feel on the highway during acceleration is an inner CV joint starting to fail! I traded a 7yr old BMW with less issues than this car. If you want an aftermarket stereo, don't get the Monsoon! And if you decide you want to pull out your radio, be prepared to go to the dealer to reset your alarm. Too many issues, for such a new car, especially for the price. Too bad I am so upside down or it would be GONE!

One of the best cars for under $25k
By 55bc on 05/12/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLX VR6 4dr Sedan (2.8L 6cyl 5M)

Let me start by saying, everyone should stop comparing this to the BMW 3 series. It's more appropriate to compare the sister car, the A4 to the BMW. Compare the Jetta to the Acura Integra, but not cars priced about $10k more! Although, the fact that people compare the two says a great deal about the car. The car handles great, it's got plenty of power, it was reasonably priced especially considering all the features the car has. I've put a lot of mileage on the car in the first year and had no problems.

Great car but still needs work
By jettanut on 05/09/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

Overall quite happy with the car comfort and handling super especially tight corners and turns the turbo makes it all worth driving and gas mileage is pretty good 600+ kms highway driving / tank bad things so far all four doors sqeak and required constant lubrication also striker pin adjusted weekly on front drivers door (creaks when car moving under 20 km/h)