Used 2001 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Volkswagen Jetta - Consumer Reviews

2001 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan

View reviews for a specific Jetta model:

WHAT A RUSH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
By MICHALE BERLIN

2001 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLS VR6 4dr Sedan (2.8L 6cyl 5M)

GREAT CAR GREAT POWER NO PROBLEMS,I HAVE THE TOP OF THE LINE AND WOULD NOT HAVE BOUGHT ANY OTHER CAR.

Favorite Features

HEATED SEATS,CLIMATE CONTROL,REAR SUNSHADE,ENGINE AND POWER,RICH LOOKING INTERIOR

Suggested Improvements

LIGHTER INTERIOR,BLACK LEATHER SHOWS EVERYTHING

Not the car they used to be
By bpamps

2001 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLS Wolfsburg Edition 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I purchased a VW Wolfsburg back in 2001 after a very good experience with an older Jetta. The 2001 Jetta has been nothing but problems. Nother major went out but very soon after the 2 year warrenty expired my cruise control went out, mechanical problems, breaks went out, not to mention a recall that fixed a problem. When I got my breaks fixed I asked why they went out so soon. The mechanic said when the vehicle was assembled, the breaks were not put in right. As far as the cruise control, I was told that it was a junk part that was assembled (but I still needed to pay for it because it was not under warrenty).

Favorite Features

Tubro engine

Suggested Improvements

Quit building the cars like crap.

I love my car!
By ImCarrie

I bought my Jetta used. It was 3 yrs old and only had 36k on it. Right away when I got it the blinkers stopped ticking, but other than that my car has been absolutely perfect. I really wanted to get a GTI, but this was more in my price range. I thought I would be disappointed, but I couldn't be happier w/ this little car. I still love to get in it everyday and don't regret my purchase at all. Very pleased!

Favorite Features

I love the pep the car has. I'm definitely going to get a ticket soon. Everything about the car feels very solid and smooth. Being my first VW it's fun to discover all the neat little things that make this car so different.

Suggested Improvements

The knob to adjust the seat is sort of lame. And the back seats aren't very good if you have legs.

My Unreliable Jetta
By JDF

2001 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLS 1.8T 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

My Jetta was extremely unreliable. I serviced it according to the manual but still had my fuel tank replaced at 0 miles before I could even pick it up. My engine was rebuilt at 60,000 miles. My power windows fell down into the door and a piece that holds the window up was replaced. Two plastic pieces kept falling out of my sunroof. The check engine light was always on and numerous O2 sensors were replaced. The final straw was when my transmission went out at 107,000 miles and the cost to replace it was $3200. I traded it in for a Mazda.

Favorite Features

It was fun to drive but a money pit.

Suggested Improvements

Reliability and Quality. I understand that I put alot of miles on my car but there are plenty out there that exceed VW in quality and will last 200,000 miles or more.

MY Jetta VR6
By garydragon

2001 Volkswagen Jetta Sedan GLS VR6 4dr Sedan (2.8L 6cyl 5M)

Fun car to drive. Quick and responsive. Well built vehicle where every piece has a purpose and no space is wasted.

Favorite Features

Air Conditioning and power windows. Never had those before this car. Moonroof is fun too.

Suggested Improvements

Rear brakes rotors were gone at 19,000 Think this issue needs to be addressed by VW as a problem Steering wheel material is worn out where my hands grip it That shouldn't happen at 31000 miles