2008 Volkswagen GTI Consumer Review: Just about perfect

2008 Volkswagen GTI - Consumer Review

Base 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4-cyl. Turbo 6-speed Manual w/Prod. End 05/08)

Just about perfect
By MrRizzo on

2008 Volkswagen GTI 2dr Hatchback w/Prod. End 05/08 (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

Traded 2006 Passat 3.6 for GTI taking advantage of owner loyalty credit and 0% financing. I'm extremely satisfied with my purchase and look forward to getting in the car every day. The Passat was a nice car, but zero fun to drive. The GTI is an absolute ball. This car reacts to every thought like it's hardwired to your brain. The suspension is firm but supple, taking bumps better than the Passat did. I'm averaging 23 MPG in stop and go driving vs. 15 MPG for my V6 Passat. I had read all the hype in the car mags and I guess, well, it's all true!

Steering wheel. Plaid seats. Fit, finish, and build quality are first rate. Everything just comes together in the car; it's greater than the sum of it's parts. If this car doesn't make you smile, nothing will . . .

I wish the seat could be adjusted to go a bit higher. Give us the LED tail lights like those in Germany to differentiate it from the Rabbit. Otherwise, it's perfect!