2008 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific GTI model:
VW GTI Review
By alekmed on 04/08/13 11:05 AM (PDT)

2008 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback 2dr Hatchback w/Prod. End 05/08 (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6AM)

Review Essay The Volkswagen Golf GTI has always been the go-to hot hatchback to buy ever since the first version came out in 1976. It has had numerous competitors but few have been able to match the GTI’s balance between power and handling. The GTI I am reviewing is of the Mk5 generation, with it being a 3 door 2008 model with a DSG transmission, or “paddle shifters.” Overall, this is a good car because it does what it is intended to be in a high manner, which is being the best sports hatchback money can buy. This isn’t a base Toyota Yaris econo box; this car has been given tweaks over the base Golf to make it one of the best sport hatchbacks on the market. First off, the aesthetics

Possibly the best sub $30k car you can buy
By robcarter3 on 01/24/13 17:54 PM (PST)

2008 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback 4dr Hatchback w/Prod. End 05/08 (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6AM)

This car is a blast. It puts a huge smile on my face every single time I drive it. The power delivery is smooth and effortless and the engine makes a satisfying growl. The DSG is fantastic. The ride strikes a great compromise between sportiness and comfort. This car does everything. I can drive aggressively and have a fantastic time. I can haul 5 people, or 4 comfortably. I can haul a ton of stuff. I get great gas mileage. The interior of this car is far more refined than any of its competitors. The materials look and feel upscale. It's just a nice place to be. For the money, this car is darn near unbeatable. It is equally good as a daily driver and a weekend toy.

AWSOME CAR
By fireball667 on 12/12/11 06:54 AM (PST)

This is car is so great even though i have had it a short time i tthe best the car i have ever had and i am really happy with it and i hope to have it for a very long time and i love the accleretion and th ehandeling best VW ever i would and it i a supprised at the gas message i get lately

My faithful Steed
By meistering on 10/25/11 22:16 PM (PDT)

You always see the cowboys with their horses riding off into whatever the next adventure may be. The horse, of course, is more than a horse...of course, of course. It is their faithful steed--a loyal companion. That is what my GTI is--my partner of the road. The car has gone with me from as close as the grocery store, to as far as the other side of the country. It has seen blizzard, rain, sunshine, drought, you name it. My car does everything I would ever ask, and not once has it broken my wallet or told me "no, that's too much." The next adventure is always around the corner, or just less than 6 seconds away.

younger opinion...
By jotad on 09/04/11 11:47 AM (PDT)

2008 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback PZEV 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6AM)

its comfortable,quiet,well built and really fun to drive. this car is always in the mood for a sporty time ! even though is a heavy car it handles very good , is extremely comfortable to drive at high speeds, in long trips and daily basis.DSG gearbox is wonderful. i live in a very hot-hummid city(panama) and the air conditioner stops working some times(it seems to be a common problem in this year gti).its a expensive car to own. i haven't had any serious problems, but small things are very expensive to replace. In the end, if you are willing to sacrifice some reliability for comfort, safety and sportiness this car is a very rewarding car to own ,it will make u smile every time you press gas

Psycho bunny
By vadersv8 on 04/27/11 01:57 AM (PDT)

Very fun car to drive, handles almost like a BMW until you realize you only have 200 ponies under the bonnet! Favorits: handeling, seat bolstering, practicality, gas mileage, moonroof, ninja star like factory 18' wheels. Dislikes: Lousy mechatronic issue, stereo is a big joke, low horse power, leather seats aren't plush, light electronic issues such as signal lights. Ugly black back bumper!!!

A Fun, Solid, Useful Little Package
By PASNBYU on 09/07/10 12:31 PM (PDT)

I'm coming up on my 3 yr ann. with my GTI and have only very few / minor complaints (see below) to go with my many miles of spirited driving. Even though torque steer is non-existent, I've decided I just don't like FWD cars - the balance is just not there, especially at turn-in. Luckily for VW (and me!), from what I've read, my wants / needs are all met with the 2012 GTI-R / Golf-R / R20.

2 of 6,557 people found this review helpful
Expensive to own!
By pbesong on 08/10/10 06:28 AM (PDT)

2008 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6AM)

Expensive to own and operate! It takes premium gas only, so while everyone else is paying $2.60 per gallon, you're paying $3.00 a gallon. It takes a special oil, too, which at Pep Boys costs $8.00 per bottle and you'll need 5 bottles. The oil filter from the dealer costs $28, but you can get it from NAPA for a mere $16 (still expensive if you ask me). And you need to change it every 5k miles. It's not a straight-forward oil change either. A bit more complicated. Xenon headlights cost $150 to replace and since the daytime running lights are on all the time, you're sure to burn through quite a few. I'm not keeping mine long enough to find out how many. transmission can have mechatronic unit problem.

One of the best
By Todd on 05/07/10 13:36 PM (PDT)

2008 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6AM)

I have not driven a car that gives you so much for the price. It's fantastic the way the motor and transmission work together. The DSG is the best auto-manual there is. The car feels very refined and stays relatively quiet on the road. The seats are awesome and I love the steering wheel. Loaded with features that are usually offered on luxury cars. Turbo lag is there low in the RPM range, but after driving a couple of weeks it is easy to get used to. The 4-door version has all the room I need. Carries 4 people comfortably, and my kid's car seat fits great. Have had no reliability issues. All around this is one of the best cars money can buy. Could not be happier with my purchase.

Still happy with my GTI
By Eric on 04/18/10 05:58 AM (PDT)

2008 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl Turbo 6M)

Leased it two years ago this month. Now has almost 25K on it. The only problem so far was a fuel sending unit which kept indicating car was out of fuel. Dealer fixed it and no further problems. Car drives great, I average 27-28 MPG in a commute that is equal parts highway and city driving. I have owned MANY MANY VWs over the years, and some have been very problematic. Not this one. I plan to buy it at the end of the lease due to its reliability, economy and performance. Once it's mine I will chip it and replace the OEM wheels & tires to improve the performance ever more.

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2008 Volkswagen GTI Hatchback in WA is:

$175 per month*