Silver Bullet
By dartmthboy on
2002 Volkswagen GTI VR6 2dr Hatchback (2.8L 6cyl 6M)
Having driven a 1997 Mits Eclipse GSX (AWD, 210hp, Turbo) for 5 years, I was a little skeptical about jumping to a FWD, 200hp, 6-cyl car. At the suggestion of a friend, I took the GTI VR6 for a test drive and was pleasantly surprised by the car's performance and the total VW experience. It far surpassed my experience with Mits, Subaru, and Mini Cooper. After 5 months, I have few if any complaints and the car gets more and more fun to drive. Overall: Super fun drive, great interior and exterior and overall great package at a great value. My biggest complaint with my Mits GSX was its reliability and so far my GTI has been A+.
Favorite Features
Enjoy the smooth and quick 6-cyl acceleration, the 6-speed performance, and the quality materials and construction of the interior and exterior (with a couple of exceptions - below). Nice full-featured, performance Monsoon sound system.
Suggested Improvements
The position of the cup holder in front of the stereo sucks! The circular caps on each side of the back ashtray (middle console just in front of the back seat) also need to be improved. Both caps pop off quite easily as people enter and exit the car.