2002 Volkswagen GTI 1.8L 4-cyl. Turbo 5-speed Manual Consumer Review - Poor man's BMW

2002 Volkswagen GTI - Consumer Review

Poor man's BMW
By bigerock on

2002 Volkswagen GTI 1.8T 2dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I teetered back and forth between the BMW Z3, the AUDI TT, and others. I was going to put my money on the BMW, that is, until I drove this little number. I went to the dealership for a test drive, and went home with it that day. This car is so fun to drive. Handles very tight. It's definitely a German car. It performs almost everything you ask of it. Yeah, it's small, but I feel safe. It's got 6 airbags for gosh sake. The monsoon (upgraded) stereo blows. If you like listening to music, and consider yourself an audiophile, you're gonna have to get an aftermarket system. This car can also be electronically tuned to gain around 40 more horses and 70 more lb-ft of torque. That's a TON!

Favorite Features

Speed, handling, comfort, sunroof, size, over-all fun to drive.

Suggested Improvements

The cupholder is in THE WORST place. It blocks your controls to your stereo. The 'Monsoon' stereo blows. Don't belive the hype. Any reviewer who says otherwise must hate music. Seats should have power controls. Should have 4 doors. Clutch throw distance is WAY long, and too tight.