2002 Toyota Tacoma Xtracab - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Tacoma model:
8 1/2 Years and Goin' Strong
By TruckLuvr on 08/13/10 14:30 PM (PDT)

2002 Toyota Tacoma Xtracab 2dr Xtracab V6 4WD SB (3.4L 6cyl 5M)

I had lusted a red Toyota 4x4 Xtracab since I was in college, and my wife and I could finally afford to buy this one new TRD off the lot. We've taken into the most inhospitable places in the Colorado high country, moved out of two houses with it, landscaped innumerable lots with it, and added kids to the mix in between all the rest. It's been flawless overall, and we still love it dearly after 8 1/2 years. Given, the interior is small for a child seat and two 5'10 and over adults. Yes, there are a few rattles, it gets < 20 mpg, and rides like a buckboard wagon. But, it's a go-anywhere truck that always works. We've never regretted buying it, even once.

Good truck
By Ericm on 04/26/09 11:52 AM (PDT)

2002 Toyota Tacoma Xtracab 2dr Xtracab V6 4WD SB (3.4L 6cyl 5M)

Bought brand new in 02. No mechanical problems, only issue was rattle in dash. 4WD is great! Decent MPG for a v6 4WD ~19 overall.

Nice truck
By mike on 03/01/08 21:59 PM (PST)

2002 Toyota Tacoma Xtracab 2dr Xtracab V6 4WD SB (3.4L 6cyl 5M)

Have had no problems with truck other than the average wear and tear of use. No rust and it's now 3/1/08. Have owned 3 toyotas and this is the best. Recommend and will purchase another. 4WD works great.

My Truck
By Schotts631 on 01/17/07 07:44 AM (PST)

2002 Toyota Tacoma Xtracab 2dr Xtracab V6 4WD SB (3.4L 6cyl 5M)

I bought this truck new in 2002 and besides a replaced power steering pump (under warranty) I have had no mechanical issues. Toyota quality is second to none. Only gripes I have is the placement of the clock, and a jittery ride over bad pavement, and mediocre gas mileage (18 mpg avg.) but hey, its a truck. Stock tires were crap and after replacing them with bridgestone Dueler A/T Revo's the handling improved greatly. This truck has never let me down, and I'll probably have it forever. Its still as solid as the day I drove it off the lot. It always pays to have a great pickup.

great truck
By Gary on 05/26/06 19:54 PM (PDT)

2002 Toyota Tacoma Xtracab 2dr Xtracab V6 4WD SB (3.4L 6cyl 5M)

I have found not problems with the truck. when needed the 4 wheel drive is indispensible. have never been stuck and vehicle always starts. Installed an engine block heater for cold climates.

Awesome
By Packman on 05/07/06 11:01 AM (PDT)

2002 Toyota Tacoma Xtracab 2dr Xtracab V6 4WD SB (3.4L 6cyl 5M)

Extremely reliable vehicle. Slim profile (compared to full-sized trucks and SUV's)and adequate ground clearance allows one to maneuver in tight off-road situations. Dependable, tight vehicle that's lots of fun to drive.

oh what a feelin!!!
By Jabo on 08/12/05 13:31 PM (PDT)

2002 Toyota Tacoma Xtracab 2dr Xtracab V6 4WD SB (3.4L 6cyl 5M)

Guys, My truck rocks. I love the mini truck/ 4 wheel monster/ did you say mud? Look it has. This is my 1st Toyota ever, and I love it. It feels solid on any surface I put it on. My wife seems to enjoy driving it as much as I do. Im not sure why toyota went to such a bigger body style with the tacoma. I love it when I pull Z-71's out of the mud with my little truck. The extra cab has good room for me, the wife, and a 6, and 1 year old.

Perfect Compact Pickup
By Awesome Truck on 08/11/05 22:50 PM (PDT)

2002 Toyota Tacoma Xtracab 2dr Xtracab V6 4WD SB (3.4L 6cyl 5M)

I am very pleased with this truck so far. I have had no problems at all with it. I bought it in Colorado and drove it home to Michigan. It was a fun trip.

Solid truck after 45k hard miles
By nbinsd on 05/04/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Toyota Tacoma Xtracab 2dr Xtracab V6 4WD SB (3.4L 6cyl 5M)

I bought this truck new, 2002 4X4 TRD xtracab. 2 years and 45,000 miles later I've got no complaints at all. All I've done is oil changes and other minor dealer recommended maintenance. Tires are ready to be replaced and brakes are at about 50%. Fuel efficiency could be a better... i get about 17 avg.

Worth the extra money
By JK972 on 01/31/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2002 Toyota Tacoma Xtracab 2dr Xtracab V6 4WD SB (3.4L 6cyl 5M)

This is a nice truck, and although I am a full size truck lover this truck makes up for it with improved mileage and excellent features.