2002 Toyota Tacoma - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Tacoma model:
It's half mountain goat
By jill on 12/20/09 21:44 PM (PST)

2002 Toyota Tacoma 4dr Double Cab V6 4WD SB (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

I love my little truck, it's civilized enough for every day driving, but when we go into the sticks - we go off road for hundreds of miles. It can rock crawl, stump jump, plow through 1ft of snow, is surefooted in freezing rain. One year it was so icy I couldn't walk without falling - but I could drive! Totally reliable tough little truck. I've gone through brakes though. Move the clock so I can see it, gets poor mileage - but it's fast - so it's a trade off. I can haul plenty too - LOVE MY TRUCK!!!!!

Gotta Love'em
By bill m. on 12/21/08 19:58 PM (PST)

2002 Toyota Tacoma 4dr Double Cab V6 4WD SB (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

This is a great truck (and my 3rd Toyota truck), dependable and ready for just about anything. 4WD works great! Extremely low maintenance.

Nothing fancy just works
By Robbty on 05/06/08 21:06 PM (PDT)

2002 Toyota Tacoma 4dr Double Cab V6 4WD SB (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

Nothing fancy just works. I have owned this truck for 6+ years and have nothing but great experiences with it. The thing just starts and runs every day without exception.

Love it.
By Ryan on 01/29/08 10:19 AM (PST)

2002 Toyota Tacoma 4dr Double Cab V6 4WD SB (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

4 doors are great and I don't find the size of the bed to be an issue. Reliable, handles well, especially in snow. Not the most comfortable ride on bumpy dirt roads, but fine on the highway. I highly recommend it.

I'm hooked.
By T.J. Turrisi on 02/21/07 20:26 PM (PST)

2002 Toyota Tacoma 4dr Double Cab V6 4WD SB (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

I've had my Tacoma for two years and have done nothing but rotate the tires and change the oil. I've almost gotten it stuck twice — once on the edge of a swamp and once in three feet of snow — but the posi-track rear end and rear differential lock saved the day in both instances. I will be getting the truck inspected tomorrow morning, and my only complaint, if you want to call it that, is a squeaky belt at nearly 70,000 miles. I will most likely be purchasing Toyota trucks for the rest of my life, unless someone comes out with something better and that could take a while, and I doubt I will be buying very many. Be it a Tundra, Tacoma or Land Cruiser, I will be getting the best for my money.

Good Pick Up
By Hooray_beer on 11/29/06 08:37 AM (PST)

2002 Toyota Tacoma 4dr Double Cab V6 4WD SB (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

Solid and reliable. I now have 120K and have only had to replace the power steering pump which I got from the dealership. It went out again in one month. I went ahead and replaced it on my own. The gas mileage is terrible for a truck of that size. On a good note, this is a great PU that I feel safe with my two kids and wife in. I also feel confident that I can go anywhere at anytime. PS. I pulled a Dodge 3500 4x4 w/Cummins pullin a Chevy 1500 SB out of the sand with no problem. 4 Wheel Low with a forgiving tow strap.

Good truck with minor bugs
By riddleja on 01/20/06 14:27 PM (PST)

2002 Toyota Tacoma 4dr Double Cab V6 4WD SB (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

Major components are all solid and reliable, but fit & finish aren't up to my expectations of a Toyota. Numerous dashboard rattles (not fixed after 20 trips to 3 dealerships), had a water leak, and windshield washer pump broke. Gas mileage could also be better, but it's on par with similar vehicles.

Couldn't be happier
By Big_Port on 07/18/05 13:14 PM (PDT)

2002 Toyota Tacoma 4dr Double Cab V6 4WD SB (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

Aside from Fuel mileage, I couldn't be happier with my Tacoma. The build quality is great, creature comforts are minimal but it's a truck, has everything you need. The exterior styling is second to none. The TRD package probably isn't necissary unless yoru a real off-roader but it's nice to have for resale value. All in all, I wouldn't conscider any other 4 door truck for my needs. A+ for this Truck.

Atlanta Tacoma
By Bungeerunner on 03/09/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2002 Toyota Tacoma 4dr Double Cab V6 4WD SB (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

I've had my Tacoma for over a year. Very reliable, low maintenance truck. Plenty of torque and nice off-road features - especially the electronically locking rear dif. (TRD Package) Several warranty items covered without question from the dealer.

Tacoma Crew update
By Mike Humeston on 10/18/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Toyota Tacoma 4dr Double Cab V6 4WD SB (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

Now have 27699 on this truck I bought in July of 2002 The AC compressor quited down around 9k miles and works well. Developed the rattle in the dash around 7500 miles. Dealer fixed it on first try. Getting 19-21 around town with K&N air filter and ECT button off. Best on the road has been 24.3 MPG. Seats seem to be getting soft but still comfortable. Very happy with it and will consider the 2005 Taco or Tundra when I retire. Very satisfied with dealer and truck.....so far!!