Getting to know you..all about you
By rwinga on
2012 Toyota Prius Three 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid CVT)
I've had the Prius Three for about a month and it is the first hybrid car I've owned. There's been a bit of a learning curve as to how the unit operates, what works in driving it and what doesn't. While not a sports car, I think the handling of the Prius is under rated. It's not glued to the rails so to speak but handles far better than many other cars from my past, especially the crossovers and SUVs. The vision outward is a bit of a challenge, especially in the early days but I've since gotten used to the sharp angles and have come to rely on the side view mirrors more than on most any other car I've owned. So far, so good. The joystick gear changer is OK but too 'cute'.
Favorite Features
All the high tech innovations. The Bluetooth, touchscreen, satellite radio--AM--FM toggling, the ipod interface, and navigation are all combined in one compact design allowing for myriad options. The EV only mode is seldom used but helps set the car apart from most all others. Creeping around my neighborhood at about 20mph in silent stealth mode is a different driving experience to put it mildly. It's also handy when hunting for a parking space in an underground garage. Obviously, the MPG is a big favorite. I'm averaging right at 50mpg in mixed driving which is amazing to me.
Suggested Improvements
The seats in the Prius are just OK. Finding a comfortable driving position is not easy for me as I'm 6'4" but am able to manage. The upholstery is sub par as are those cheesy side panels and center armrest that feel fuzzy to the touch. I recently corrected that last item by having aftermarket leather installed which does provide a good remedy for the look and feel of the OE upholstery. It's more comfortable as well. As is the case with ANY car, there are compromises to be sorted out. No vehicle can be all things to all people but, in my case, more boxes are checked on my personal approval expectations than any car I've owned in the past so, on that score, Prius is a winner for me.