2000 Toyota Land Cruiser Base Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2000 Toyota Land-cruiser - Consumer Reviews

2000 Land Cruiser Consumer Reviews

Base 4.7L V8 4x4 4-speed Automatic - (35 reviews )

Sort Reviews by

The Old Reliable
By mwhitted

2000 Toyota Land Cruiser 4dr SUV 4WD

I have now owned my 2000 LC for 7 years; I bought it used with 54K miles. It now has 160K and still runs like the day I bought it. It does get only 16-17MPG tops, but gas mileage is not why I purchased. It is the most reliable vehicle I have ever owned; it's solid, it's safe. I just picked up today from having routine maintenance; my mechanic says there is nothing wrong with it! Change the timing belt every 60K, change the oil every 4K, do a tune up every 75K, use Michelin's and they will drive forever. I have a friend with the same model with >300K and it still runs great! I have driven the Appalachians to the Tetons, on road, extreme off road and it has never let me down! Mine forever!

Favorite Features

Reliability, off road handling and performance, on road comfort

Great vehicle
By caribouowl

2000 Toyota Land Cruiser 4dr SUV 4WD

Bought the LC new in 2000 after owning and being disappointed with the quality of Chevy's for years. I did quite a bit of research and everything pointed to the LC for reliability and ruggedness. It has lived up to its reputation. I've used it for long trips, hauling stuff, going off road in the national forest in northern Minnesota, driving in heavy snow, etc. It is reliable and, after 10 years, runs like new. Have gotten 60K on the Michelin tires.

Favorite Features

Interior design, comfort, lots of window space with great visibility, reliability.

Suggested Improvements

Spare tire not easy to access and jack/wrench kit is nearly impossible to re-install once it is taken out.

Going Strong
By EZK

2000 Toyota Land Cruiser 4dr SUV 4WD

I bought this SUV in 2000 new. I knew it was expensive compared to other SUV's but my 1996 Chevy Tahoe stranded my family and I for the third time in VT and I was willing to pay more for reliability. Almost ten years later and this is by far the best vehicle I have ever owned. 105,000 miles and it runs and rides like new. Unlike my newer VW Passat and the Tahoe predecessor, the TLC does not leak any engine oil or any other fluids on my garage floor to this day. Only negatives are 16 mpg (no matter how you drive); very expensive parts when they fail; awkward third row seat arrangement; chews through tires at the front end (latest Michelins are holding up better than others). Best SUV!

Favorite Features

Engine, drivetrain, VSC, interior room, reliability.

Suggested Improvements

Improve third row seat arrangement. What's with the exhaust manifolds?

This car will never stop
By Sam

2000 Toyota Land Cruiser 4dr SUV 4WD

We've owned this car for over 8 years, it has never let us down. 151k miles and my guess is it could go twice that and still drive like the day we brought it home. My wife's only complaint is she wishes the steering wheel was adjustable. Put the original equipment Michelin tires on it... they will go 60k+ miles.

Favorite Features

The amount of room front, middle and rear.

Suggested Improvements

Adjustable steering wheel.

Iconic Vehicle
By nilopol

2000 Toyota Land Cruiser 4dr SUV 4WD

I purchased my 2000 LC in 2003. Since then with regular maintenance I have had absolutely no problems. I put in a new muffler and exhaust manifold, but otherwise still going strong. I put in a navigation and backup camera, and it acts like a 2006-2007 ride.

Favorite Features

All-wheel drive, overall comfort, and utmost confidence on the roads.

Suggested Improvements

Fuel mileage.

The Best
By machelle

2000 Toyota Land Cruiser 4dr SUV 4WD

I just ordered my third new Land Cruiser (2007 model). At 110,250 miles, my 2000 handled better, drove tighter and was a smoother ride than every test drive we took of other comparable 2007 SUVs. The Land Cruiser has only needed two repairs (a starter and CD electrical problem) all these miles. It has reliably gotten me out of sticky situations numerous times ranging from snow packs in the Rockies to an approaching hurricane on the Florida Coast. The third seats are not as comfortable, but are great for hauling my daughter's middle school basketball team. The seats all easily tuck away in several formations for hauling everything from small trees to luggage. We couldn't go anywhere else.

Favorite Features

Ride, handling, safety, reliability, automatic 4WD, space, comfort, towing.

Suggested Improvements

Seat warming buttons are on the center console and easily get hit accidentally in hot weather creating a surprising experience. Third row seating comfort is only fair for adults and they fold awkwardly.

Practical, Reliable Truck
By bob

2000 Toyota Land Cruiser 4dr SUV 4WD

We've had this car for over 6 years now and it still looks and drives like new. We looked at other SUVs in 2000 but nothing compared to this one, and still nothing compares to this. The only problem we had with this is with the cd player and the brakes. Solid truck.

Favorite Features

Build quality, reliability, size, styling.

Suggested Improvements

Sound system, more room in third row/fold flat seats, gas mileage, more wood trim in the interior.

Solid All Around
By APG

2000 Toyota Land Cruiser 4dr SUV 4WD

This is without question the best vehicle I have ever owned. Aside from some small "guilt" at the fuel consumption, the "Cruiser" is rock solid. At 100K miles, it still drives as if it was new. It tows without a sweat, takes the kids and toys to the beach easily and plows through the snow without chains while everyone else around is stopped getting wet. I hope it lasts for another 200K, but I can't see why it won't.

Favorite Features

Power, comfort, great A/C (almost too cold), spaciousness, looks good too.

Suggested Improvements

Someone needs to figure out the perfect cupholder - these are too shallow and your coffee ends up spilling all over the console upon turning. Small criticism, but shouldn't be rocket science to fix.

The Best Valued Luxury SUV Available
By Austin

2000 Toyota Land Cruiser 4dr SUV 4WD

I believe the Toyota Land Cruiser has the attributes of a luxury vehicle without compromising what makes an SUV an SUV.

Favorite Features

Interior ergonomics. Interior space. Interior comfort. Exterior styling. Reliability. Full time 4WD.

Suggested Improvements

Fuel economy. Third row thigh support.

Like No Other Super SUV
By rquigley

2000 Toyota Land Cruiser 4dr SUV 4WD

Purchased with 115k on the odometer and never had a doubt it would be a solid truck. Read a zillion reviews online and everyone said the Cruiser was the best. Strong as an ox, can handle car pool when needed and a beast off road. Took in up a 12% snow covered grade in NC. Brother in law's Jeep Wrangler only made it halfway up the hill before sliding back down the hill. Dad's ML350 never got a chance due to his fear of totaling it. Landcruiser climbed to the top without a problem. Of course the hill was so steep that i opted to winch it back down out of fear of sliding off the Mtn side and the ice/snow covered trail. Took 1hr to get it down but hey- Land Cruiser is the king of the hill.

Favorite Features

Seats, ride and style. Great body style which looks just as sharp in the brush or pulling up to the club for dinner. 3rd row seats are perfect for the kids.

Suggested Improvements

Stereo controls on the steering wheel. Like that really matters with a vehicle this solid!