2006 Toyota Highlander Base Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Toyota Highlander - Consumer Reviews

2006 Highlander Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Highlander model:

Sort Reviews by

Still love it 3 yrs later!
By toyotalover

2006 Toyota Highlander 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

Always wanted a Toyota and I love driving it now as much as I did at first. Always dependable, no problems whatsoever. I like the tight steering, low turning radius... drives like a car. Easy to handle, even when loaded with weight. 4 cyl. is plenty of power for me. Big enough for my 6'2 stocky husband. I get about 20-22 MPG mixed city/hwy driving... wish it was more, but hey, I can't complain. I love this vehicle.

Favorite Features

dependable! hugs the road, easy to park, comfortable on trips

Suggested Improvements

better MPG, lower price

Great Car
By powerpark

2006 Toyota Highlander 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

We bought the 4 instead of the six. Good Gas mileage , the ride is great and does not lean in the turns. It handles a lot like a car. I have the 2 wheel drive. I think without the extra drag on the drive train we are getting better mpg. As far as snow. The highlander has good ground clearance. And with the good tires and front wheel drive it should be ok. The sunroof is great. But needs a wind deflector. Very nice car. Thanks Toyota!

Favorite Features

We like the Sunroof , the way it rides, and the rear seats. Lots of room.

Suggested Improvements

Nothing.

Almost there
By Pedro

2006 Toyota Highlander 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I bought a 2006 Toyota Highlander in July. It was a good purchase but a little more than I could afford - dealers have a way of making you spend more than you should. I love the color and the smell of the car although I bought it used with only 8700 miles. The ride is good but a little noisy - it may be wind noise when the windows are down. Gas mileage seems pretty good but not as good as I was promised. I drive mostly in the city and get about 19 to 20 miles to the gallon. I have a large family and needed the extra seating. The rear seat is a little cramped for my older ones but it is OK for my younger kids. I hope this is a reliable car.

Favorite Features

I like having air conditioning and a radio. We chose this car for the built in DVD player.

Suggested Improvements

I think that this car rides too high. I would like to see it lowered about 5 inches. Its hard for my mother to enter the car.

Best SUV value
By Barbara F

2006 Toyota Highlander 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I bought this SUV late June after considering multiple sedans and other model SUVs. I test drove the Highlander and instantly fell in love with the drive and comfort. So far, gas mileage is OK (haven't really officially clocked city and highway) and the air conditioning system is great! (Cools the car within seconds.) Overall, this car is a great value for the money. The 4 cylinder engine has enough pep for both highway and city driving so I didn't see a need to purchase the V6 model.

Favorite Features

Very comfortable drive, air conditioning system, good dashboard controls

Suggested Improvements

Better storage in front, better radio sound quality

Best Value for the money
By Tom P

2006 Toyota Highlander 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

Not many 4 cyl SUVs drive and have the ride this one does. I get great gas mileage (25+) I also liked the feature that this suv is rated to tow a 3,000 lb trailer. I was impressed by that because most of the crossover suvs can only tow 1,000 lbs. The brakes could stop on a dime.

Favorite Features

Brakes, reliability, utility.

Suggested Improvements

Free oil changes.

Nice SUV for the money, only two changes
By Mark

2006 Toyota Highlander 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

Very good vehicle for the money. Ride is very comfortable. Fun to drive. 4 cyl. is not lacking in power. I'm sure 6 cyl. is more powerful, but I chose better gas mileage. So far getting 25.3 MPG highway using air conditioning. Two things could be better. Front seats are too short. Doesn't support my legs as well as my old Explorer. Otherwise, seats are very comfortable. Steering wheel only tilts a little. Explorer steering wheel tilt had greater range of movement and I liked the lower position. Highlander steering wheel doesn't go low enough for me.

Favorite Features

Gas mileage, comfortable ride, easy to use console controls.

Suggested Improvements

Longer front seats, greater range on tilt steering wheel.

The first 1500 miles.
By Brandon

2006 Toyota Highlander 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

We purchased a Toyota Highlander the last week of June, 2006. We got the base model with the 2.4L 4-cyl. engine, which has very good performance. We have no problems with highway driving or acceleration. I haven't owned it long enough to give hard mileage estimates, but it looks like the 22/27 or so on the sticker is accurate with 87 octane. The backseat is VERY roomy. The ride is terrific when compared to other SUVs in this segment, being based on the Camry. There's no 'rollover' feeling at all when changing lanes at highway speeds. The turning radius is incredibly small for its size. Being based on a Camry, I expect to own this car for at least 150,000 miles.

Favorite Features

ROOMY backseat, soft ride, comfortable for ALL seats - not just the driver, 4-cylinder available and has good performance and mileage, under-floor storage in back, tight turning radius, full-size spare, based on Camry so drivetrain and suspension should be rock-solid, quiet on the road.

Suggested Improvements

Need more cupholders up front. Get rid of the split-gauge cluster, instead make the face smooth all the way across. Because the gauges are set into the dash, the split makes it hard for light to get in, thus it's hard to read the gauges in the daytime because they are set back. Nighttime is fine.

Great SUV
By Dave

2006 Toyota Highlander 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

While we've only owned our new HL for a few days, we have fallen instantly in love with it. It's a great mid- size SUV. We opted for the FWD 4-cyl for fuel economy reasons and I have a 4x4 if needed. It's very comfortable, the 4-cyl provide adequate power and fairly quiet on the road. So far, no complaints.

Favorite Features

Sliding rear seats, lots of cargo space, expected fuel economy

Suggested Improvements

Auto-locking doors, standard side- curtain airbags, more power outlets.

Best SUV for small family
By TXTWOLF

2006 Toyota Highlander 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

We have 3 dogs and one baby. I have had a few suvs (Ford Explorer, Chevy Trailblazer, Jeep Cheerokee, and Toyota Highlander) and this one is the best all around. We got the 4 cyl. for better gas milage and it is great. We live in the burbs and have no need for a 4x4 but want the flexibility of an suv. This is by far the best suv out there, we test drove the pilot and loved it, but kept coming back to the highlander and have never looked back. Great, great fun little suv!

Favorite Features

Nice, smart interior.

Suggested Improvements

side airbags standard.

Great ride for the money
By Mark in Geneva IL

2006 Toyota Highlander 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

This is our first Toyota from a long history of Honda’s. So far so good. We’re impressed with the build quality and ride quality as well. We love the easy to use gauges, and ergonomic design of the cabin. The rear seat area is very comfortable and large, we don’t have the 3rd row seat. We opted for the 4 cyl. engine after driving the V6 we couldn’t justify another $2K for the minimal difference in performance. The dealership is offering some great incentives with the redesigned 2007 around the corner.

Favorite Features

The interior design and the car like camery ride. I would call the design bland; it's clean and simple.

Suggested Improvements

Add side airbags to ALL of the Toyota line up. Honda does and other manufacturers do as well.