Used 2000 Subaru Legacy GT Limited Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2000 Subaru Legacy - Consumer Reviews

2000 Subaru Legacy Sedan

View reviews for a specific Legacy model:

Excellent car thanks Subaru
By RODOLFO MANNELLA

2000 Subaru Legacy Sedan GT Limited 4dr Sedan AWD

Nice car. I have a nice time driving it hard in all weather like rain or on sand. Never have any issues, thanks you. Nice handling at corners and stopping, power good top.

Favorite Features

the awd, it's the best, the brakes are good the engine is good

Suggested Improvements

my car in particular its engage it's 2.0 a bit more power it's nice

Good but
By stargazer

2000 Subaru Legacy Sedan GT Limited 4dr Sedan AWD

I bought the car for my wife. She really liked the style of the car. We just traded it in on something else. It had 146,000 miles on it. We had it a few days and the front speakers went out fixed under warranty then there was a problem with the front seat belts eats brakes like no tomorrow. Had to have the sunroof replaced because it leak into cabin and had to replace the timing belt twice. The engine is very sluggish needs a few extra hp. But I never left us beside the road and never left is stranded.

Favorite Features

Exterior style AWD

Suggested Improvements

Stronger engine better reliability

If want one, buy one
By Henry

2000 Subaru Legacy Sedan GT Limited 4dr Sedan AWD

I bought legacy with 60,000 miles on it and it now has 90,000. It still has the original clutch. I keep outside through Pennsylvania winters and it starts up perfectly in the cold. We actually tried to sell the car back after our mechanic told us the car had been in a bad accident. We never did, and to our surprise the car has gone 30,000 more miles with absolutely no minor or major problems and is still going. The only thing wrong with the car is the cd player never worked under my ownership and we had two purchase a new pop out cup holder for $60. Overall, I am very satisfied!

Favorite Features

Cassette player so I can use my iPod, moon roof, rear headrests so the backseat passengers don't get whiplash, and let's not forget, manual transmission.

Suggested Improvements

Use higher quality materials. On the highway the rpm are way too high even in 5th gear.

Fun to drive every day car
By Ryan

2000 Subaru Legacy Sedan GT Limited 4dr Sedan AWD

The GT Limited is my 1st Subaru. I bought it new over 5 years ago, and I do not intend to get rid of it until I can't fix it any more. Several minor repairs over last year and a half--nothing major yet, but clutch is coming soon (note that it has been autocrossed hard enough to win, although only a few times). The dealership told me that the clutch/flywheel assembly they use for replacements is not the same as what came new with the car, so don't rule out that it could happen on a daily driver. This car drives wonderfully for an every day car. It handles very well in all conditions, but it is not very powerful. If you do not drive manual, look at peppier cars (6-cylinder or 2.5T Legacy?).

Favorite Features

Fun car! AWD--I drove through snow higher than my bumper in all-season tires. 2000-2001 (maybe 2002) has best exterior styling of any Subaru I have ever seen. Rear spoiler on GT is a nice addition over L. Interior is very nice and comfortable, but seats won't hold you in place during hard cornering.

Suggested Improvements

OEM tires easily outperformed w/ all-seasons for $100-200 less (in dry, wet & snow--I prefer Dunlop SP5000). Stiffer rear sway bar recommended for better turn-in and agility. Flywheel too heavy for only slightly quick upshifts. Clutch not nearly as strong as grip, so it is easy to smoke on a launch.

Great Car
By Ed B

2000 Subaru Legacy Sedan GT Limited 4dr Sedan AWD

Our second Legacy (the first one ran to 150,000 miles without a hitch). Good reliable car, enough pick-up (not a drag racer, though). The seats are comfortable and wear well. Car still looks good 6 years later. I would buy another one in a heartbeat.

Favorite Features

AWD! Leather seats, moonroof. Comfortable car.

Suggested Improvements

Little more pep. Fold down rear seats.