Used 2000 Subaru Legacy Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2000 Subaru Legacy Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Legacy model:
Excellent car thanks Subaru
By RODOLFO MANNELLA on 09/19/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2000 Subaru Legacy Sedan GT Limited 4dr Sedan AWD

Nice car. I have a nice time driving it hard in all weather like rain or on sand. Never have any issues, thanks you. Nice handling at corners and stopping, power good top.

Very reliable ride!
By Legacy Lover on 07/13/10 14:48 PM (PDT)

2000 Subaru Legacy Sedan L 4dr Sedan AWD

I bought this vehicle new in summer of 2000. It has proven to be a very well made and reliable car. The only glitch has been an engine knock sensor that malfunctioned at 70,000 miles and had to be replaced. This repair cost less than $125. Otherwise, I replaced the tires and performed scheduled maintenance. Feels like a sports car to drive! Goes great in snow and ice with all weather, siped tires, but this Sedan has lower ground clearance than the Outback, so 8" or more of snow can be difficult.

Same clutch
By francois on 11/04/09 17:17 PM (PST)

2000 Subaru Legacy Sedan L 4dr Sedan AWD

Hello, we have a Legacy L wagon bought new. It is still the original clutch! 80% is city driving. Comfort is bad, but I like this car. Super great on the snow, 160 hp is plenty, just have to use the shifter. We replaced: an injector, timing belt (maintenance) relay switch for fuel pump and torsion bar that broke on a dirt road. This is an incredible reliability record. However we will not buy another one because of not so good fuel mileage. My daughter will learn to drive with this car.

Good but
By stargazer on 02/19/09 18:37 PM (PST)

2000 Subaru Legacy Sedan GT Limited 4dr Sedan AWD

I bought the car for my wife. She really liked the style of the car. We just traded it in on something else. It had 146,000 miles on it. We had it a few days and the front speakers went out fixed under warranty then there was a problem with the front seat belts eats brakes like no tomorrow. Had to have the sunroof replaced because it leak into cabin and had to replace the timing belt twice. The engine is very sluggish needs a few extra hp. But I never left us beside the road and never left is stranded.

If want one, buy one
By Henry on 12/07/08 23:26 PM (PST)

2000 Subaru Legacy Sedan GT Limited 4dr Sedan AWD

I bought legacy with 60,000 miles on it and it now has 90,000. It still has the original clutch. I keep outside through Pennsylvania winters and it starts up perfectly in the cold. We actually tried to sell the car back after our mechanic told us the car had been in a bad accident. We never did, and to our surprise the car has gone 30,000 more miles with absolutely no minor or major problems and is still going. The only thing wrong with the car is the cd player never worked under my ownership and we had two purchase a new pop out cup holder for $60. Overall, I am very satisfied!

Legacy
By Legacy on 01/25/08 11:38 AM (PST)

2000 Subaru Legacy Sedan GT 4dr Sedan AWD

I am an average driver, and this car has been full of issues. First the check engine light kept coming on, and took it in about 4 times with no luck. (canít find a good Subaru dealer) After warranty was over a non Subaru mechanic found the threads to the knock sensor were striped, causing it to bounce around and get a false signal. Then at 35,000 miles the rear wheel bearing went out. There have been 2 recalls on it, a coolant additive was put in to help prevent issues with the bad head gasket design, and a rear suspension issues was the other. Now at 100,000 miles, the transmission is acting up. Should have bought a Chevy or a Ford, I never had issues like this with them.

Reliable Car - Fun to Drive
By RMAN on 09/09/07 17:14 PM (PDT)

2000 Subaru Legacy Sedan GT 4dr Sedan AWD

I have owned the car for more than 7 years. It drives the same way today as it did when I bought it. I had a few company recalls on the vehicle but no major problems. The car handles great in any condition. AWD really works well in snow. I have received many compliments onthe looks and styling.

Fun to drive every day car
By Ryan on 04/24/06 10:09 AM (PDT)

2000 Subaru Legacy Sedan GT Limited 4dr Sedan AWD

The GT Limited is my 1st Subaru. I bought it new over 5 years ago, and I do not intend to get rid of it until I can't fix it any more. Several minor repairs over last year and a half--nothing major yet, but clutch is coming soon (note that it has been autocrossed hard enough to win, although only a few times). The dealership told me that the clutch/flywheel assembly they use for replacements is not the same as what came new with the car, so don't rule out that it could happen on a daily driver. This car drives wonderfully for an every day car. It handles very well in all conditions, but it is not very powerful. If you do not drive manual, look at peppier cars (6-cylinder or 2.5T Legacy?).

Great Car
By Ed B on 03/15/06 18:50 PM (PST)

2000 Subaru Legacy Sedan GT Limited 4dr Sedan AWD

Our second Legacy (the first one ran to 150,000 miles without a hitch). Good reliable car, enough pick-up (not a drag racer, though). The seats are comfortable and wear well. Car still looks good 6 years later. I would buy another one in a heartbeat.

It's an OK car
By I like AWD on 01/17/06 23:19 PM (PST)

2000 Subaru Legacy Sedan L 4dr Sedan AWD

Pretty sluggish vehicle, but handles well with the AWD, and will go anywhere. Have had numerous problems with the suspension and brake systems. Canít complain about mileage (25 avg) since it is all-time AWD.