Big hit with me and the dogs
By maafimushkila on
2006 Nissan Xterra SE 4dr SUV 4WD (4.0L 6cyl 5A)
I settled on the XTerra after driving way too many mid-sized SUVs. I drove the XTerra first, and I kept coming back to it. It beats competitors hands down. The powertrain is excellent (smooth, powerful, responsive). Comfortable. Good looking in a geekish kind of way. A great dog vehicle--fold down the rear, and there's no fabric touching the dogs, so its easy to clean. The dogs get a great view, too. Great handling in snow, mud, and sand (haven't had it on rock yet). I wouldn't recommend this for commuters--this is a true 4WD so expect to feel bumps (and pain and the pump, but that's expected, so no downgrade there). If you like to play outside, and have a lot of toys, you want this
Favorite Features
Powertrain. Cleanable interior (yes, the plastic is hard. That's the point). Handling is awesome for an SUV--nimble, tight. Great Rockford Fosgate sound system. Best SUV for dogs on the market. Steps on the side of the bumpers are truly functional (loading, cleaning snow off the top).
Suggested Improvements
I'll nit-pick: auto-down on the power windows is good, auto-up is better. I'd feel better if the rear hatch had a solid handle--everytime I open it, I feel like I'm going to break the combo latch/handle. The interior bike rack is only available through your dealer.