Used 2006 Nissan Xterra Off-Road Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Nissan Xterra - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Xterra model:

Best Value for Nissan Nation
By albo

2006 Nissan Xterra Off-Road 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 6M)

This is a great vehicle that I have put a lot of miles on in a short time (125k in 4 yr) great acceleration and 4 wheel drive will take you about anywhere. The clutch went after about 50k miles, this must be a systemic problem cause I have had 4 other nissans with manual transmissions too and have never replaced a clutch! The driver's seat could be more comfortable on long drives. After owning a maxima, I know what Nissan can do when they put their mind to the task! I would like better gas mileage, but who wouldn't? This vehicle, like all nissans, is perhaps the best value for the money. I will own this truck for years to come. Keep up the good work. Nissan Nation rocks on!

Body style 4 wheel drive 6 speed transmission Fosgate stereo system Cargo space and cargo control

Drivers Seat should be more comfortable Better gas mileage Heater could act faster

Great at first but then a disappointed
By DD9

2006 Nissan Xterra Off-Road 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 6M)

I went from owning an IS300 to something more reliable in the winter. The Xterra was my favorite compared to the 4runner. Right after the 60,000 mile warranty expired, problems, serious problems that should not occur on a relatively new vehicle. between 60k and 7ok miles shaking in the seat, took it to the mechanic and he said U joints, front and rear. After the initial replacement, more issues with rear wheel bearing, more random vibrating. 77k the heater/ac resistor went. $140 for that plus install, Livid at this point. Went to Nissan, no dice, telling me to go and pay for Nissan tech to diagnose. Terrible customer service from Nissan N. America. 3 weeks gone by, Mike has not called.

Styling, power, Rockford Fosgate Stereo, pretty much everything other than poor quality drivetrain parts/manufacturing.

Drivetrain/parts manufacturing! Better customer care from Nissan n. America (won't call and I'm guessing won't cover fix what needs to be done) I've owned much older jeeps that didn't have any of the problems listed above and they had between 100-150k miles on them. Very disappointing.

Great off road vehicle
By Sid Byers

2006 Nissan Xterra Off-Road 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 6M)

I've been getting 18 mpg for the first 1200+ miles overall. Seats are very comfortable, control layout is excellent. Transmission shifts perfectly, and the ratios are spot on. The traction control while off road really works great, you just keep going forward with very little wheel slip. I'd buy this vehicle again!

Wonderful 4x4 system and electronic controls of the brakes and traction.

None

myXtraXterra
By heidi

2006 Nissan Xterra Off-Road 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 6M)

Excellent ride. Handles like a dream and rides like a car, not a truck. I do believe they could have put more thought into comfortability, but you give up comfort for more extreme usage. It handles the mountain roads I live on with pristine grace and I feel confident it will handle the roads when snow becomes a factor.

Rides beautifully. Lots of room for my dogs and grill.

Seats are uncomfortable to me, especially the back seat.