2005 Nissan Sentra SE-R Spec V Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Nissan Sentra - Consumer Reviews

2005 Sentra Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Sentra model:

Sort Reviews by

Great fun & affordable economy sedan
By OmegaSwitch

2005 Nissan Sentra SE-R Spec V 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 6M)

After my '89 Taurus workhorse that got be through 5 years happily, this Sentra was a godsend. I was looking for an affordable, compact, and sporty sedan, and this car fit the bill perfectly. It was a joy to drive on every occasion- though the transmission was a bit slick at times-, and I have had no problems with it since my purchase- previous owners experienced no problems to my knowledge. It's not a lavish car by any means- though the audio system is superb-, it's just a fun and simple little sedan. Gas mileage is also quite decent, and the engine has plentiful torque. It has great handling- body roll is present, but traction is abundant-, and the brakes are excellent.

Favorite Features

Sporty handling, great braking, loads of torque, 6 speed transmission equals lots of adjust ability with the rev range, awesome stereo, nice exterior styling (in red), excellent handling/ride quality compromise, good gas mileage, decent amount of trunk space, reliable

Suggested Improvements

The interior build quality is slightly lacking, the gear-change can be a bit rough and the gears are a bit too closely fitted for a 6-speed in my opinion.

great handling, fun to drive
By Pete from Houston

2005 Nissan Sentra SE-R Spec V 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 6M)

Had it for 3 years and have driven it hard. Two sets of tires and one set of brakes in 83K miles. You can't ask for more. Would have liked to have gotten better MPG (avg of 24 combined), but hey it's a performance car. Nissan did their homework on the handling, and the engine is very responsive.

Favorite Features

Electric moon roof, Brembro Brake system option--saved me more than once; excellent handling; truly deserves the 'R'

Suggested Improvements

Horrible cup holder placement; short throw shifter is unrefined; is notchy with 5/6 gears harder to get to than 1- 4.

Used to love it
By Not so happy

2005 Nissan Sentra SE-R Spec V 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 6M)

My son test-drove cars for me and decided on the Nissan Sentra. Brought it home and I loved it. Had it for three years and 1 week, made the last payment, and the next day the Service Engine Soon light came on. Drove immediately to the dealership and they said the head gasket was going and needed to be replaced -- on a three year old car. Are they programmed to have problems as soon as they are paid for? Cost me $1,245 yesterday and they recommended on the receipt that I put it an for an additional $600 more in repairs. If you keep up with oil changes, etc., a car should last longer than three years.

Favorite Features

Mileage, ease of handling, reliability.

Suggested Improvements

Placement of CD changer and reliable engine parts.

Great Toy.
By DeshispecV

2005 Nissan Sentra SE-R Spec V 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 6M)

Even tho I bought my Spec V with a lot of miles on it, it still runs real good. It's a champ on the streets. It's a sleeper car stock and a beast with mods. I love driving it and seeing the looks on peoples faces when I fly past them in their V6s. Great toy to have.

Favorite Features

Everything from the accel to the tourque.

Suggested Improvements

Stock turbo haha

Great FWD car!!
By kpad1ne

2005 Nissan Sentra SE-R Spec V 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 6M)

I have had my spec-v for almost 2 years now and I love it. Amazingly the vehicle handles great for a front wheel drive and it continues to stick to the road the more you push it. Great torque through the mid-range and braking system is awesome. 24k and still do not need to replace brakes and I'm a very aggressive driver. Best bang for the buck!!!! Outperforms majority of 4 cylinders out there and even 6 cyl.cars-speaking from experience

Favorite Features

Amazing handling for a FWD and great power

Suggested Improvements

Exterior front end is too weak and interior features could have been a lot better

nice but id pass on it
By pelt

2005 Nissan Sentra SE-R Spec V 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 6M)

i would have enjoyed this vehicle if it weren't making this humming noise when going slow or approaching a stop. i took it to the dealership 9 times and they could not fix the problem. they apologized many times. but dealing with nissan has now been the worst experience ever. the car would have been great but still makes some strange noise.

Favorite Features

love the design inside around the drivers area, i have the sport vspec model, i wouldn't have purchased anything less then that..

Suggested Improvements

braking system needs improvement. noises my car make seem related to it..

Great for the price
By Ethereal

2005 Nissan Sentra SE-R Spec V 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 6M)

I've had this car for almost a year, and I do not regret buying it. It handles amazingly well, and I keep pushing it further and further with no complaints back. The car is great for the price.

Favorite Features

I love the acceleration. Love the handling, and love the sound of the engine. Very fun to drive.

Suggested Improvements

Exterior front end( I want back the 2002!) Uncomfortable in long rides. I didn't get ABS with mine, but happy I didn't.

Nismo Hellion
By Orange Hellion

2005 Nissan Sentra SE-R Spec V 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 6M)

I am a previous 89 Maxima SE owner (still running with 210K miles son has it) and thought the down grade would make me miss the Maxima. This was not the case, I now have better performance and fuel economy (avg 29.5) and when I purchased it I added two tone black/orange leather. The NISMO cat back and cold air intake were worthy investments the performance increase with these put me now at 95/99 Maxima numbers (184 Hp@ 4k rpm and 195 ft/lbs @ 4K). The leather upgrade gave it a very upscale look to. Thanks to the guys at Maxwell Town North Nissan for making it all happen at a great price.

Favorite Features

The 6 speed and Brembo brakes were what sold me, especially after the performance upgrades.

Suggested Improvements

The front grill could use a redress and the arm rests should be a bit softer.The suspension could be firmer but that will be addressed when the NISMO kit is added.

I love my Nissan
By womenscountry

2005 Nissan Sentra SE-R Spec V 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 6M)

I used the internet to compare cars along with Comsumer Report. I bought my Sentra after 3 months of research led me to believe it was the car for me. I drive in town and on the highway and it does great in both modes. I am not a speedster so a small 4 cylindar car with high MPG is what I was looking for. The price was great too. So far it has performed as I thought it would. I have driven both Toyotas and Mazdas in the past but they are both getting a bit pricey for what I need a car to do. I would buy it again, no doubt.

Favorite Features

I am small (5') so I really like the way it sits, I can see very well.

Suggested Improvements

A real spare tire would be nice and a larger arm rest in the center front.

2 Thumbs up for the Spec V !!!!!
By bennyspecv

2005 Nissan Sentra SE-R Spec V 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 6M)

First of all, I had a 2002 sentra XE (touring: Mags,rear spoiler & 6 CD changer). The upgrade to a 2005 SE-R SpecV was well appreciated. The SpecV is so fun to drive.... when you take a corner that you are used to take with another car in the specV, you will see that the handling is surprising and when you think you can't go faster, it sticks to the road. The only regret I have is that they changed the exterior look from the 2002-2003 but the overall performance takes your mind off the body and keeps it on the road !!!!

Favorite Features

The 175hp alum/cast engine with the amazing suspension!!!

Suggested Improvements

Exterior look...... And thats all !!!