Used 2003 Nissan Sentra SE-R Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Nissan Sentra - Consumer Reviews

2003 Nissan Sentra

View reviews for a specific Sentra model:

Why Pay More?
By NissanGuy

2003 Nissan Sentra SE-R 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Bought this car as a daily driver after wrecking my first 300ZX (I have another one now in the garage). Was very pleasantly surprised by the strong performance, and good interior room. I love Nissans - I think you consistently get more for your money than with Toyota or Honda. I wanted an auto for DC area driving conditions, so a Spec-V was out of the question, but the SE-R has performed just fine. I think the car is nimble and generally handles well in all weather conditions, but I agree that the OEM Firehawk tires need help. My main complaint is the same as most others - the interior is cheap looking and feeling. In sum, you get a lot more go for your $ with the SE-R vs the others.

Favorite Features

Good HP/weight ratio, tight steering, front end design very nice, R-F stereo great (though a multi-changer would have been nice), front seats have ample hip room, headroom and shoulder room for a big guy.

Suggested Improvements

Rear end looks bulbous and clumsy. Build quality is a little suspect - a lot of TSB's on this car - I lost a crankshaft position sensor at just over 30K miles, etc. The 07 model looks utterly crappy - like an Altima stuck in a hydraulic press - BIG disappointment. Would love the 200HP though.

2 years down the road
By Daytona

2003 Nissan Sentra SE-R 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Well, I've had this car now for 2.5 years now so I think I know it pretty well. First, second and third gear rubber, not bad. Torque steer can get very bad and out of control. Looks are excellent. Reverse lockout is very poor. Hitting reverse while shifting to 6th gear is possible with little effort (I've done it several times). Front seats are poor design. Put something flat on it and it ends up in the back on the floor. Turning radius is also poor, Fuel average for city is 20 mpg. I have the black one, paint quality is poor but looks great. Nicks or scratches with little effort. Still, I like this car. Sound system is fine, for me anyway. This car will hold a tight turn like no other.

Favorite Features

Looks and those quick getaways. Feel on the road.

Suggested Improvements

Fix the shifting and turning radius.

Well Satisfied
By Grumpyman

2003 Nissan Sentra SE-R 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

This is a great little car! I did a lot of research when looking for a new car and the SE-R seemed to be the best value. I haven't been disappointed! This is a great car for the price range and a lot of fun to drive.

Favorite Features

This car has a lot of torque and I really like how it handles. I also like that it is a reliable car with no problems so far. I think that it is a great mix of sport and sedan.

Suggested Improvements

The interior should be upgraded. It doesn't match the quality of the outside of the vehicle

my first car...and i'm glad i bought it!
By jar29

2003 Nissan Sentra SE-R 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

one car mag review described the se-r as "you never forget it's a little car with a big engine", and i have to agree. i've gotten some positive comments on it's appearance (i purchased mine in black). fuel economy isn't as good as the models with the smaller engine (i'd say it gets about the same MPG as the base model altima). no problems so far(except two factory recalls). the back seat could be a little roomier, but aside from that, it does perform well for it's size and class.

Favorite Features

rear spoiler and 16 in. alloy wheels give it a nice sporty look.

Suggested Improvements

rear seat is tiny for a 4-dr. would be better to make it a 2-dr.

SE-REVS
By Eightyateseven

2003 Nissan Sentra SE-R 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car used at 19000 miles and its at 24,000. I love the car, its fun to drive and it sets you apart from the civic crowd.

Favorite Features

I love the exterior. I have no idea why nissan changed it for the 2004 model, it is disgusting.

Suggested Improvements

I hate the color of my interior, it should have been black. thats my only complaint