2002 Nissan Sentra - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Sentra model:
Decent Econobox - GXE Synergy Package
By kenjae on 05/23/11 15:06 PM (PDT)

2002 Nissan Sentra GXE 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I've had my Sentra for almost one year now. I recently had a Nissan dealer do a 25 pt inspection. I was told my rear motor mount was torn, my throttle body needed cleaning as well as a few other minor issues. I have had the car since 55,000 miles and I am at 76,000 now. The thermostat went out at around 73,000. Basically, it is a decent decade old econobox. The factory battery is still in there working fine. I get high 20s in town mid 30s highway gas mileage. A/C kills a lot of engine power but its got a sunroof. Engine noise is not too bad. Road noise can get frightening if it is a nice pot hole. Be careful on windy highways. Performs better than expected in the snow with allseason tires

Would buy again
By Arizona on 11/16/10 00:00 AM (PST)

2002 Nissan Sentra GXE 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car with 30 miles on it, and it now has 112,000. Unfortunately, a rear end collision is forcing me to give up a car I would have kept forever!! Very reliable, and just the right size, this 5-speed manual GXE has served me well. I kept up the maintenance like clockwork, and for that I have never had an engine problem. I am now looking to buy another Nissan Sentra regardless of the negative reviews I continue to see.

Piece of Junk
By aellis7 on 08/25/09 11:35 AM (PDT)

2002 Nissan Sentra GXE 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my Sentra from a man on Craigslist. He had all the paperwork to prove he had taken care of the car. The paint on the hood and roof was fading already, which is on 99% of all the 2002 Sentras. In the last year the computer has gone out, the AC has gone out and the gas mileage and power has gone down to almost nothing. Stay Away from these cars, I have only had bad things happen. Everyone I know that has ever owned a 2002 Nissan Sentra has had pure hell.

Good Car
By KRomine on 03/03/09 13:35 PM (PST)

2002 Nissan Sentra GXE 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car when I was in college because it was fairly inexpensive, and I thought it would be reliable. The car now has nearly 120,000 miles on it and still performs well. The gas mileage is goood, not great - I average around 30-33 depending on the season. The car has had very little maintenance problems. Early on, it had to be in the shop a few times for recalls, but other than replacing brake pads and tires, it has been really cheap to maintain. Performance is what one would expect from a small 4-Cyl. - it does just enough to not get run over by bigger cars. It does suffer from windy days, and it could be bigger, but really, it is a pretty good car.

Problem-free
By BWheel on 11/19/08 04:34 AM (PST)

2002 Nissan Sentra GXE 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

Owned this vehicle (GXE w/ cruise control package) from 2001-2008 and through 180K miles only recently showed problems (oil leakage). Prior to that, only repairs needed were for leaking AC (2 times), blocked radiator and oil leak. None of these occurred within the first 100K miles. Car provided 30 mpg this year. For the price, great car.

Love it
By maci805 on 09/21/08 21:27 PM (PDT)

2002 Nissan Sentra GXE 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my 2002 Sentra GXE 6 years ago. It has been great to me so far. I have had nothing go wrong with it and has been extremely reliable. The car saved my life when I was in an accident. I came out alive and in one piece-which meant that the Sentra did its job. It is far from a luxury vehicle, but it is very comfortable and fun to drive. I love my car and would recommend it to anyone who is looking for a safe and reliable vehicle.

Not Reliable
By Not Reliable on 05/20/08 18:12 PM (PDT)

2002 Nissan Sentra GXE 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

Only 85k miles. Sentra has mechanical problems. Recent dealer service quote: “will need to replace head gasket, valve cover seal, front crank seal, exhaust manifold gasket, and the intake gasket and all spark plugs. Drive belts are heavily cracked. Timing chain stretched needs tensioner and guides.” Past issues: Oil dip stick broke resulting in removal of oil pan with NTB and dealer service pointing fingers. Brake calipers malfunctioning causing abnormal pad wear and short rotor life on left front. After +$2,000 in repairs, the Sentra just is not worth it. Have owned a Geo Storm, Honda Accord, Chevy Blazer, Ford Mustang, and Jeep Cherokee. All lasted +130k miles.

Fun and reliable
By Dave on 05/05/08 14:18 PM (PDT)

2002 Nissan Sentra GXE 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my 02 Sentra with 25 miles on it. I now has 140,000 and has only seen the shop for tires, brakes, and oil. It gets wonderful gas mileage with the 1.8 L 4 cyl but the car is light weight enough that it is peppy and fun. The only downsides are the seats are not that comfortable for long rides and it could definitely be quieter at highway speeds.

Built to Last
By RSH on 11/12/07 07:00 AM (PST)

2002 Nissan Sentra GXE 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

This is my 2nd Sentra, my 1st, a 1991 2-Dr model, lasted until it was totalled in a collision in '02. When I purchased this one, it was a definite upgrade in terms of weight, acceleration, comfort and style. The mileage could be a little better these days (avg 25-30), the leg room in the back is too little for people over 5' tall, and it is very sensitive to the wind. I am overall very happy with the car, it's very reliable and can handle it's own. Other than the above issues, it's a great car for long term owners.

Nothing flashy, but great reliable ride
By Jason on 03/13/07 12:29 PM (PDT)

2002 Nissan Sentra GXE 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl 5M)

Bought back in 09/02 and the only issue I've come across is the parking brake light won't go out (happened around 50k mi) - Other than that it's been extremely reliable. It was -30 degrees here in MN not to long ago for about a week and it started fine every morning like a champ. Ride is smooth.