Used 2001 Nissan Pathfinder Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Nissan Pathfinder - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Pathfinder model:

Unreliable Car & Expensive Repairs
By Last Nissan for us

2001 Nissan Pathfinder LE 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

Our second Pathfinder. All reg maint done at dealership. Had to replace O2 sensors at 34000 miles, and second one at 52000. At 61000, dealership said I had a bad catalytic converter and since we had just passed (by two weeks) the 8 year ownership mark, they refused to fix it. First two repairs were $700 each, cat converter estimate is $1000. Have had engine knock for 2 years that dealership couldn't isolate/repair. Knowing that the sensors had gone out, and there was an engine knock, they should have checked cat converter. We will fix this, sell it, and go back to buying Toyotas.

Interior is nice. stereo controls on steering column is nice.

Recall the cat converters. Change head rest design in back seats so easier to drop seat flat.

01 Pathy's OK, but...
By Stinger_Bee

2001 Nissan Pathfinder LE 2WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I've had my 2001 Pathfinder LE for quite a while now. I have not had any truly mechanical issues during this time so have to say that it's been pretty good. As with several other reviewers, I've seen the following issues: 1. Engine, transmission, drive shaft sensors have all been replaced 2. The Bose in-dash 6-disc changer (made by Clarion by the way) gave me the Err messages at about 3 years in or 40K. Had to replace it with an after market unit. 3. The interior durability is VERY poor. I've replaced the driver side power seat motor/rails. 4. Today, I'm going to be paying about $700 for some A/C repairs. All in all, it's just been OK. My 1999 Maxima was rock solid but was pre-Goshen..

Rides nicely for a truck based SUV, reasonable space, looks nice.

Improve interior quality (CD player, mechanical parts, more driver side headroom). Improve the quality of the sensors.

Outstanding Vehicle (3.5L LE 2 WD)
By nissan2k1

2001 Nissan Pathfinder LE 2WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

Bought it a month ago, vehicle garaged, serviced and well maintained by the orig. owner. I gave it 10s across the board, still trying to find flaws with the vehicle, other than the minor scratches that the vehicle was exposed to in an apartment parking lot environment for 6 months. 10's because my expectations of it are tempered by what it is. 135K miles, many newer SUVs won't run with it.

Everything about the vehicle. Engine, automatic transmission, power everything interior, exterior fit and finish.

Nissan needs to fix those sensors or make them cheaper to replace. Bose needs to fix a cd changer that has a plastic part that breaks.

I like it but...
By Colorado

2001 Nissan Pathfinder LE 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I love my Pathfinder. It handles well, great acceleration and handling. Many comments about the oxygen sensors and it's true, however my cost to fix was almost $4,000 which included many parts along the way to the O2 sensors. Granted it was the Nissan dealer, however, beware. I have the navigation system and its great but the CD version stinks because you have to buy each area at $120 each. Fun chunky ride.

Great looks, handling and acceleration. Leather interior is classy and it cleans up well.

Really dislike the oxygen sensor issue. Although I did drive with the service engine light on for 2 years without a hitch. Brakes seem weird. Gas mileage stinks and is only getting worse as prices go up. I will have to downgrade, but not because I don't want to keep driving it.

2001 Pathfinder LE 4WD driving experienc
By '01 Pathfinder LE

2001 Nissan Pathfinder LE 4WD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

This vehicle is fun to drive. It has a very ergonomic setting for gauges, sound system, and heating/cooling. It is very safe vehicle to be in when driving in all the seasons.

It has a Bose stereo system, need I say more!

For the design intent of this vehicle there is nothing you can change. It would be nice to receive better gas mileage. But with that being said, the consumer should be looking for a less powerful selection.

• SUV