2006 Nissan Altima - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Altima model:
Long term owner
By kirkmm on 07/24/14 21:25 PM (PDT)

2006 Nissan Altima 3.5 SE 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I bought my Nissan Altima 3.5 SE in 2006 and have been very pleased with it over the course of its lifetime. I had no warranty issues and have made sure that regular maintenance has been done. This car has been fun to drive and I enjoy getting into it every day. Overall I am very pleased with this car. Pleasantry aside, I recently needed to have the timing chain replaced. This is not cheap and is a labor intensive job. Aside from the timing chain and other regular maintenance (brakes, battery, et cetera) I have not had any issues with my car. I plan on driving this colloquial tank into the ground.

172,000 miles and no problems
By miktyler on 02/10/14 14:35 PM (PST)

2006 Nissan Altima 2.5 S 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

I bought my Altima in 2009 with 40,000 miles on it. It's now at 172,000 miles and still runs perfectly. It has been driven very hard the entire time I have had it. I drive the car 100mph+ on a weekly basis and it has never failed me. All I have done is change the oil every 3000 miles. I've had to replace the brakes a few times which has more to do with how I drive than anything else. I would highly recommend an Altima to anyone who is looking for a dependable vehicle. It's not the fastest or best handling car on the road but it is more than capable of anything you would need. Only complaint might be that it handled poorly in the snow when I used to live in Michigan.

Do Not Buy! Serious Design/Quality Problems!
By camrydriver69 on 12/28/13 10:12 AM (PST)

2006 Nissan Altima 2.5 S 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

These cars have very serious powertrain problems. The pre-cat disintegrating over time and the bits and pieces being sucked into the engine, possibly causing engine damage, and causing oil burn. All 02-06 Altimas suffer from the same serious design flaw. For that alone you should avoid this car. Other common problems include butterfly valve screws being sucked into the engine and causing damage, timing chain problems, floor boards rusting through, and rough-shifting transmissions. Despite what the Edmunds review says the car is NOT fun to drive. The powertrain is extremely unrefined and noisy. It also only gets around 20 mpg in the city, which is pathetic for a 4 cylinder.

Never buy a Nissan. Acceleration stopped in Highway.
By ryandbm on 10/21/13 15:10 PM (PDT)

2006 Nissan Altima 2.5 S 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

Nissan has acceleration problems. The sensor in the gas pedal can develop faults, leading to a sluggish acceleration or an outright stall regardless of how much throttle the driver dials in. If you google "nissan acceleration problem", there are 2,360,000 results show in 0.13 seconds. The year spans from 1994 to 2013 in Rouge, Altima, Sentra, Cube, Maxima, etc. although Nissan only recalled the 2004-2013 cars. I have a 2006 Nissan Altima, which showed the sudden stop in high way 4 times from 2010 to 2013. But my car is not in the recall list. Nissan and its dealers are finding all excuses to push off the responsibility. My lesson is never buy a Nissan.

My first Nissan and the last one
By jhon4 on 12/04/12 22:05 PM (PST)

2006 Nissan Altima 2.5 S 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

I bought it brand new with 66 miles on it . at 40k miles the engine was already shaking like a 10 years old car at 80k miles have change the shocks 3 times have to do aligment 3 times per year and it still doesnt feel good driving it . the engine and the transmition are fine but to many troubles with suspention .very disapointed ...

Reasonable Car
By saman1 on 11/08/12 10:09 AM (PST)

2006 Nissan Altima 2.5 S 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

Very comfortable, reliable, somewhat fun to drive, somewhat rough to drive (not smooth ride). Spacey, good interior design, not so good exterior design. glove-box noise. drive train noise especially back wheels. shakes and vibrates at high speeds.

2006 Nissan Altima 2.5 Excessive Oil Consumption
By evukmanic on 10/08/12 15:31 PM (PDT)

2006 Nissan Altima 2.5 S 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

My 2006 Nissan Altima 2.5 SL appears to be part of a recall (NTB06-028) for excessive oil consumption. The car began exhibiting the symptoms of the recall concerning excessive oil burning at 120K miles in late June 2012. The problem started suddenly, burning one quart every 600 miles and with in two weeks one quart every 300-350 miles. Throughout my ownership of the car the vehicle had always been properly maintained at my local Nissan dealer. At 138k miles the vehicle began making a noise that sounded like a bag trapped underneath the car. Just after arriving home, the car exploded in thick, black smoke that billowed from under the hood and into the vehicle through the vents. Recall campai

I had such high hopes
By neveragain28 on 01/25/12 18:36 PM (PST)

2006 Nissan Altima 3.5 SE 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I bought this car in March 2011. Since then I have replaced the battery 4 times and alternator twice. Still the same problem continued to happen, it would randomly not start. I ended up having to sell it because it was the most unreliable car. No mechanic could figure out the problem and it was a money hole.

Best Car I've Owned
By tipser on 11/11/11 09:16 AM (PST)

2006 Nissan Altima 3.5 SE-R 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 6M)

I have owned 8 performance oriented cars including a 350+ hp WRX. This blows it away and blows most performance sedans away. The naysayers will say that is impossible since it is front wheel drive. Nonsense, drive one and see. The comfort, torque, reliability, and design is fantastic. I added some performance bits on it but left the engine and exhaust as is, why change something that works so well.

Excellent
By gh81 on 04/28/11 19:35 PM (PDT)

2006 Nissan Altima 2.5 S 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

I brought my 2006 Altima 2.5 S last year with 76000km on the clock, now it is just off 100000km. So far I'm impressed. It's been 100% reliable and great to drive. It's not a ground breaking car but I like it, and look forward to driving it every day. I would have purchased the 3.5 had I been able to, but the 2.5 has enough guts to make it fun to drive. If I could change anything about it I'd make the engine and transmission a bit smoother, and put more feel in the steering. I would completely recommend this car. When I eventually sell it I will almost definitely be buying the 2007 onwards model.

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.