Used 2006 Nissan Altima Consumer Reviews - 228 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Nissan Altima - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Altima model:

Bought a used Altima that had 150k on it.
By Matt

2006 Nissan Altima 2.5 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

The vehicle it's great to drive every day the stock stereo is clear and has good sound. Upgraded air cleaner helps with mileage and performance. I really like this car for my daily commute. Has room in back for 2 car seats with the center console down.

A Giant Japanese Let-Down
By Ray S

2006 Nissan Altima 2.5 S 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

While you would expect most mid-size sedans to hit the 100K mile mark before even thinking of having any maintenance issues, with a Nissan, who rate themselves as high or even above Honda and Toyota in quality and reliability, you should expect 150-200k before experiencing problems. I've had several problems with mine since I bought it, and while I have owned it for over 6 years, I've had to do far more than the regular oil and brake changes and basic upkeep of a vehicle. Front axle, wheel bearings, motor mounts, power steering, electronics, you name it; I've had to put a lot of extra money into it to keep it running well, and it still hasn't hit the 107k mile mark. I love the acceleration and power you get from the Altima, but I'm ready to get rid of it and try something else - it's turning into a money pit far sooner than it should. Sure there may be Altima's out there with 200K and not a problem, but that wasn't my experience, and it has definitely soured me on ever purchasing a Nissan again.

Best car I have ever owned.
By Bruce

2006 Nissan Altima 2.5 S 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

I bought this car with 42,000 miles and now have 252,000. I have had no problems with the engine or transmission. I always used Mobil 1 synthetic and 5-30 weight because of the close tolerance machining of Japanese engines. I have my transmission flushed every 50,000.
It has power but I drive it very gentle now because of the high mileage. The only thing I don't like is that it seems to pull to the right all the time just a little. I think it is from the acceleration of the front wheel drive. I put new tires on and had a laser alignment and still had a slight pull. The tires have always wore out perfectly even. I do tire rotation every 5,000.
I did have to replace the radiator, battery, starter,shocks and struts. Changing out the front light bulbs is a pain. The last time I had an engine light turn on is because I forgot to change out the spark plugs at 100,000 and actually went 120,000 miles on them.
This car has been my most favorite car with the least maintenance I have ever owned.

Just reach 160K Running great
By Juve

2006 Nissan Altima 2.5 S 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 4A)

i had gotten car at 35k in 08, havent given me any issues since then. just a week ago reaching 160 replaced all shock and shruts since mine was worn out. Also had water pump replaced with spark plugs. besides those major stuff, car has been performing great and still gives great mileage.

havent had transmission or timing chain issue.

i fell this car can go another 100k easily. cant complain on this car, if very spacious inside and a good size trunk. i prefer this over the recent altimas out

2006 NIssan Altims
By fohne

2006 Nissan Altima 2.5 4dr Sedan (2.5L 4cyl 5M)

Immediate recall on engine. Replaced within first month. Never was truly happy with car, paint job went bad after 5 yars. 9 years later head cracked, no indicator lights or any prior warning.