2002 Mercedes-Benz M-Class ML320 SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Mercedes-benz M-class - Consumer Reviews

2002 M-Class Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific M-Class model:

Sort Reviews by

great car and keeps runnning
By maizeandblue23

2002 Mercedes-Benz M-Class SUV ML320 AWD 4dr SUV (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

I have 120,000 miles on the ML. Its a safe, big interior with huge trunk and handles very well.

its been great
By katana1127

2002 Mercedes-Benz M-Class SUV ML320 AWD 4dr SUV (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

bought brand new and my 2nd ml320. no major issues so far, handles great rain or snow. would buy another.

Favorite Features

navi, hi speed handling, winter and snow driving.

Suggested Improvements

none

Great car!
By Tina

2002 Mercedes-Benz M-Class SUV ML320 AWD 4dr SUV (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

8 years- the car looks brand new. Leather in a perfect condition. All electronics work great! Never had any problems with the car. Fun to drive! I love it.

Favorite Features

everything

My mechanic loves me!
By veryave

2002 Mercedes-Benz M-Class SUV ML320 AWD 4dr SUV (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

I purchased my truck with about 70k miles in 2007. I have had nothing but trouble from this vehicle since i had it. Brakes go way too often, i have had to get some kind of rod replaced because it was making a crazy noise, also leaking in car, also alternator went and trans is starting to go and a few other repairs that were all fairly costly. when the truck is right its a great but ride but so many troubles make it not the purchase. my mechanic is a German car specialist and he flat out said these trucks are flat out headaches waiting to happen!

Favorite Features

much more room than appearance would have u believe. nice ride when no problems are lurking

Suggested Improvements

live up to the standard that i thought German engineering was supposed to be

3 Years and Still Running Well
By lshelmir

2002 Mercedes-Benz M-Class SUV ML320 AWD 4dr SUV (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

I purchased the ML as a replacement to a '99 Range Rover, to get me through college, and after driving for 3 Years, I feel that it can go for at least 10 more, the car is doing well. I feel safe driving it anywhere, and like the styling. I haven't had any major mechanical problems, only minor things such as the battery, and brakes. The radio is better than some, but worse than others. The storage is great, I love having the 10 airbags, heater rest mode is a life saver in the winter. Drive quality is good, and reliability is unparalleled. Parts can be costly, but it is a Mercedes. However to tell the truth, I do miss the Rover, it felt more solid, both on dry road, as well as in the snow.

Favorite Features

Reliability, airbags, safety features, interior lighting, tele-aid. Trip Computer above the rear-view.

Suggested Improvements

Brake service ($500 Yearly), no steering wheel controls(Optional Voice Control). Mercedes customer service not on par with GM, Land Rover.

No Lemon Here
By HappyWithMine

2002 Mercedes-Benz M-Class SUV ML320 AWD 4dr SUV (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

Despite so many negative reviews of the ML-class, our experience with this vehicle since purchasing it new has been one of trouble free driving. While it's true that some of the plastic interior materials are of lower quality than one would expect from Mercedes Benz, the fit and finish of the vehicle has been excellent. I really have no complaints about this SUV. It has always started; the AC is perfect; no electrical issues; the drive train is sound; the chassis is solid and squeak-free. Perhaps we've just been lucky, but after 65,000 miles this Benz has been at least as reliable as my old Mitsubishi Montero...which was the best car I've ever owned.

Favorite Features

All wheel drive; air bags all around; comfortable seating; excellent visibility.

Suggested Improvements

The newer models have an unattractively designed exterior. Give these SUVs the same interior room as the older models. Emulate the design of the GL-class. Introduce hybrid options.

Gets better with age
By Happy ML

2002 Mercedes-Benz M-Class SUV ML320 AWD 4dr SUV (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

Initial experience during the first 4 years of ownership was mixed, in and out of the dealership for various warranty repairs this was offset by the MB loan cars and MB USA extending my warranty for another 4 years. So far, the truck has been trouble free for the last three years. I recommend using ceramic brake pads, it last twice as long. I will likely keep this truck until for a few more years.

Favorite Features

Great DIY truck. Location of oil filter, ease of brake pad replacement.

Suggested Improvements

Fuel economy

Piece of Junk
By disappointedguy

2002 Mercedes-Benz M-Class SUV ML320 AWD 4dr SUV (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

I bought it from my sister with very low mileage and extremely well maintained. Now I refer to this poorly built SUV as a "Piece of Junk!" It is plauged with problems. I have had interior parts falling off and breaking, sun roof deflectors broke and looking at the cheap plastic used in the build really disappointed me. Then the brake fluid drum breaks. Makes funny noises when driving and recently jerks badly when stopping at a light. Now a paint sealant or something seems to be peeling off at the back and dealer wants $500 a pop since I have run out of warranty! If anybody is intrested in filing a law suit, please count me in!

Favorite Features

None.

Suggested Improvements

Heard the new models are better but not sure how true that is!

Awesome Dream Truck!
By 1cna1

2002 Mercedes-Benz M-Class SUV ML320 AWD 4dr SUV (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

I really enjoy owning this truck. After all of the reaserch I have done on it, I finally found the one that suited my needs.

Favorite Features

I love the 3rd row seats, heated w/ memory front seats, the sunroof, and express open feature on all the windows.

Suggested Improvements

The Navigation should have been standard. The screen looks ridiculously unnecessary when the navigation feature is not installed.

So far...So good
By Jimbob

2002 Mercedes-Benz M-Class SUV ML320 AWD 4dr SUV (3.2L 6cyl 5A)

Not really that powerful, but economical, despite the premium fuel demand. Avg mpg 17/21. No cost maintenence (warranty). No cost repair (even light bulbs and wiper blades). Ride could be softer. Seats could use lumbar. The heater will roast you and the AC will keep you cool. Sun roof, power rear wing windows...Why? I replaced the brake pads at 20K for ceramic, no wear. If the car is parked for 3 days, the security system drains the battery dies. Video system...Why? Would I buy another? No...initial cost, but then, the 2006 model has been very nicely upgraded!!! ;-)

Favorite Features

4yr/50,000 warranty. It's cute.

Suggested Improvements

None...they upgraded the model for 2006.