Used 2002 Lexus IS 300 Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific IS 300 model:

IS 300 5spd
By ProfessorP

2002 Lexus IS 300 Sedan 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

Bought new in spring '03 & still love to drive it. Flawless reliability. Has 80K+ miles, but feels & looks new. Replaced two sets of tires & one set of brake pads. A blast to drive. Sold my SC 400 6 mos after buying this car, because I never drove the SC anymore. Handles better than most sports cars, turn-in is crisp and fast, steering is not overboosted. Could use a bit less body roll in stock form. Swapped in Eibach springs and handling is noticably improved. Power from the inline 6 is smooth & the sound of the engine is a wonderful purr. Interior layout is perfect, fits like a good racing glove. A true driver's car. I also enjoy the fine Nav System w/easy to use controls at my fingertips.

Favorite Features

Manual transmission, rear wheel drive, ability to fully disable traction control, great brakes, distinctive looks, suprisingly good stereo system, excellent Xenon headlamps, stylish 17" wheels.

Suggested Improvements

None. Anything else would ruin the simple purity of this 4-door sports car.

IS 300 5SP Drivers Car
By Bryan Infantino

2002 Lexus IS 300 Sedan 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

My wife and I bought this car just over a year ago. It is a driver's car. Great around corners and great on a long trip. It is very powerful although I wouldn't mind just a little more power. Navigation system is awesome, we use it all the time. The car is just big enough for taking another couple out but small enough to feel like a true sports car.

Favorite Features

Power, Sports car feel, Handling, Navigation System, 5 speed, Looks great, Reliable.

Suggested Improvements

A little more power, 6 speed manual, Just a little more space, keep the weight as is or lighter.

Wouldn't Trade It For Anything
By YellowIS

2002 Lexus IS 300 Sedan 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

This car has been a blast to drive since day one, never failing my expectations, nor failing to put a smile on my face. The lines of the car are only appreciated when hand washing and waxing the car. One of the smartest decisions I have ever made was purchasing this vehicle.

Favorite Features

Exterior design, 2JZ engine, Lexus prestige, handling, nothing drives like it. 17" 5 spokes are some of the nicest stock rims I've seen

Suggested Improvements

Interior is short of being luxurious. Back Seat is a LITTLE tight.

Great Car
By Great Car

2002 Lexus IS 300 Sedan 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

It just does everything well. It's a blast to drive, and it cruises like a big car. Navigation system needs to be more intuitive, and fuel economy isn't great, but overall we're super happy with this little sedan!

Favorite Features

Five speed trans. and interior design.

Suggested Improvements

Navigation system & fuel economy

Terrific Car
By chippy

2002 Lexus IS 300 Sedan 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

Utterly reliable. Near supercar braking. Superb handling and ride with L-Tuned performance springs and swaybars that makes stock car seem too soft. Silky smooth engine. Crisp 5MT. Very comfortable driving position. Good controls layout.

Favorite Features

I like that it is a rare car. Sportier than the overpriced 3 Series. Safety.

Suggested Improvements

CD changer. Creak prone sunroof.