Used 2008 Lexus GX 470 Base Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Lexus Gx-470 - Consumer Reviews

2008 Lexus GX 470

Base 4.7L V8 4x4 5-speed Automatic - (16 reviews )

Our piece of crap Lexus
By m

2008 Lexus GX 470 4dr SUV 4WD (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

We bought this car in November before Thanksgiving and I wish we would not have. We compared it between the Tahoe and Escalade and decided to go with the Lexus because of the resale value. What I really hate this car because of the lack of trunk space with the third row folded up and the big bulky 4wd shifter. Most manufactures have put 4wd at the touch of a button and lexus desided to leave it as a shifter to take up half of center console. Because of the positioning of the shifter and 4wd shifter you have to reach around to control the heated seat controls which gets old real quick. The transmision is all so a joke because it has shifted into a higher gear as soon as i begin to lay into it

Favorite Features

The plush leather seats and that is about it.

Suggested Improvements

get rid of all the plastic outside, fix the transmision shifting, get rid of the 4wd shifter in the center console, the lack of storage in the back, better gas milage on premium fuel, blue head lights, bigger gps screen, make the back hatch open up not out,

Great SUV,But...
By carenthusiast7

2008 Lexus GX 470 4dr SUV 4WD (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

For an SUV it's very good with plenty of space unless you have a family or carrying more than 5 people, then some issues arise. The third row isn't exactly spacious and kids will fight for the mid row to avoid the third. Gas mileage is self explinatory since it runs on a V8. Power is plenty when you need it on highways and even after years, the GX is still fairly quiet even with a V8. All in all, it is a great SUV, just be prepared for gas trips and the questionable third row.

Favorite Features

The GPS and extra electronics make this SUV even more comfortable. The resale value is also fairly high for this SUV as opposed to others which is also another plus.

Suggested Improvements

Just drive more gentely on this SUV if you want to save gas is all and a family of six is probably the maximum if you are looking fo an SUV such as this anymore and I suggest looking for a van.

Still love it - after a year
By BoRock

2008 Lexus GX 470 4dr SUV 4WD (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

I was the first one here to write a review (see bottom). It has been a year and a month and a happy 14,000 miles since I got my 2008 GX470. What can I say, I STILL LOVE IT. I feel like 100 bucks when I get in and I know I made the right choice when I get out. Every day I look forward to driving the car. I use it primarily for commuting to my workplace (40 miles both ways). When I get home it feels nice to know that this great vehicle is waiting for me in the morning. I had 2 problems: driver side mirror was sticking and my aluminum wheels had some black spots. Both problems were fixed promptly and the dealer even apologized for the inconvenience. I will drive this truck forever!

Favorite Features

Space inside, while small overall. Distinct look.

Suggested Improvements

I still want the push button start

Versatile, Comfortable, Impressive
By RNarenDMD

2008 Lexus GX 470 4dr SUV 4WD (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

I picked up my GX in 3/08. I wanted to wait awhile before posting a review to allow for some perspective. The craftsmanship and build quality is fantastic. Power train the smoothest I've experienced (previous BMW owner). The car has been 100% trouble free so far (14K miles). No squeaks or rattles to speak of. Superb driving position and seats. Having just moved into a new house with a new baby, this car has been very useful for carrying boxes, etc. Rock solid in snow as well. Wish gas mileage was better though; I've been averaging 17.5 mpg on premium. I would recommend this car as long as you don't mind the mileage.

Favorite Features

V8 engine, seats, cargo space, quiet interior, Bluetooth, overall feeling of quality

Suggested Improvements

Gas mileage, 3rd row seats that don't fold into trunk, cannot use nav while driving, and difficult to scroll on map using the touchscreen. There should be a joystick like on Honda/Acura.

Love my Lexus
By Linda

2008 Lexus GX 470 4dr SUV 4WD (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

I purchased a used 2008 Lexus GX470 2 weeks ago with just 7500 miles. I love this car! I previously drove an Acura MDX and this vehicle is so much more comfortable. The ride is smooth and there is no road noise at all. My only issue: my Blue tooth. I can hear perfectly but no one seems to hear me! Hopefully, this can be fixed. If you enjoy an SUV but yearn for the smooth ride of a luxury sedan, consider this model!

Favorite Features

Seat comfort, navigation system, stereo system and air ride.

Suggested Improvements

Blue Tooth not clear, add storage compartments in vehicle. Should offer XM radio for the price.