Used 2005 Lexus GX 470 SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Lexus Gx-470 - Consumer Reviews

Base 4.7L V8 4x4 5-speed Automatic - (99 reviews )

Most Helpful|
Love it!
By Dora

2005 Lexus GX 470 SUV 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

This car is by far the best I've owned. It rides smoothly, making it a pleasure to ride. While the gas mileage is not great, it's good for an SUV.

Favorite Features

The leather seats are gorgeous and the navigation system.

Suggested Improvements

The third row is just a little awkward when adults sit there.

I wish I had one of these years ago !!!
By Boomer

2005 Lexus GX 470 SUV 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

Great--just great. Like me, I think its perfect and like me there is room for improvement. Third seat should fold into floor to allow better rear vision and add more storage room. While it's built on a truck frame, it rides ever so smoothly. Passenger side seat should have 6-way power and larger sun visor. Interior is luxurious--navigation system is great help (once you learn how to use it). Optional sound system is Carnegie Hall quality.

Favorite Features

The whole vehicle

Suggested Improvements

Se comments about third row seats and passenger side seat.

Great Value for a Luxury SUV
By kellerman

2005 Lexus GX 470 SUV 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

I live in the mountains and work in real estate. My driving habits are much more demanding than the typical buyer. I use the vehicle regularly in wintry conditions and also off road. In both capacities, the vehicle is extremely capable and gives the driver lots of confidence. The SUV is very luxurious and has much better build quality than its American competitors. Nav, Bluetooth, rear-view camera, and DVD all work well. I get around 16 MPG, but that is better than other heavy SUVs that get around 12-13 MPG in this area.

Favorite Features

Downhill assist control is amazing on icy roads! I have used it down an 18% grade with two inches of ice. The GX never broke away and held the car back on its own. The variable ride height gives an extra 1.5" of clearance in the rear. The GX will not get stuck in any conditions or terrain! 6000+LBS

Suggested Improvements

12-way power passenger seat. Better place to store rear headphones. 2nd row could fold more flat. Better design on gas tank (pump shuts off too early sometimes). Rear-view camera gets dirty easily.

Nothing else ever again!
By Beth

2005 Lexus GX 470 SUV 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

I love my new (to me!) Lexus. We traded in a 08 Town & country for a 05 LX470 with twice the miles and were happy about it! This car is wonderful. It is spacious and fun to drive. My only complaint is that the trunk area is small with the third row seat down, I can't even get my stroller in. But, we will make do. It is the best car I have ever had, even better than my husband's 08 BMW!

Favorite Features

interior, nav, dvd, with third row seat fits EIGHT people total, Mark Levinson stereo, ride

Suggested Improvements

extending the cargo area would be nice

Great SUV; soccer mom car
By gw9

2005 Lexus GX 470 SUV 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

Having owned Lexus before I knew this would be a very reliable car. Gas & go. Maintain per mfg recommendations and it will last forever. What it is for: In town errands; carrying clean cargo like groceries and such; long road trips; ski trips; car pools. What it's not for: Work truck; off roading; hauling heavy trailers; hauling construction supplies or plant material. It's a soccer mom car. Reliable, elegant, comfy. Zero excitement but what SUV is?

Favorite Features

Most comfortable ride I have ever experienced in a 4x4 SUV. Big 4.7 liter V8 has plenty of power. Although its very tame looking the Lexus badge still makes it something of a head turner. Extremely reliable. Great technology. Controls & dash are intuitive, no gimmicks, easy to use. No mechanical problems with my 6 year old car w/ 62K miles. Removable 3rd seat makes for good cargo room. Midsize makes it easy to park in the city.

Suggested Improvements

Light color interior is a galactically dumb idea in an SUV. GPS is accurate about 75% of the time, I spend a fortune on upgrading the DVD but that didn't help. I use my iPhone as a map instead. Blue tooth phone is horrible, people on the other end of the call say they get echoes & distorted sound. Easier to use my iPhone earbuds w/ mic. 3rd seat is about big enough for 2 full grown cats. The only way to enlarge the 3rd seat area is to enlarge the whole car, which would put you in the LX 570. That's a $90K vehicle which not everyone will want to buy.