Used 2004 Lexus GX 470 Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Lexus GX 470 - Consumer Reviews

Base 4.7L V8 4x4 5-speed Automatic - (172 reviews )

Good While It Lasted
By Casey Bryson

2004 Lexus GX 470 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

I bought our 2004 GX470 in 2012. We owned it for 2 years and 7 months. It was a good vehicle for us and the engine/transmission are rock solid. Personally, looking back, I would buy one with LESS features. The dynamic suspension is expensive to replace, for example. I also had to replace the sensors for the rear air leveling as they both failed on separate occasions which was VERY problematic on a 500 mile road-trip. Also, others that note there's a "transmission CLUNK" should realize that it's a slip yoke on the driveshaft that requires greasing. A 30 second fix.

Off road capability. Incredible in the snow.

The mpg is terrible. I averaged 15 mpg. For a vehicle this size and this underpowered, our new QX56 with 5.6 and 400 hp gets better mileage. A sign of the times. The technology is also lacking and it's difficult to integrate an iPod with this model year. Seats that don't fold flat is another annoyance. The ride is pretty harsh too. Ultimately, we got rid of our GX because the costs to repair & maintain were going to be too large.

My Lexus
By lexy5

2004 Lexus GX 470 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

I absolutely LOVE, LOVE, LOVE my truck. I bought it used. I was skeptical at first because it had a lot of miles on it, but this truck rides like a 2011, its smooth, comforable and reliable. The interior is beautiful and I always get compliments on it. People actually think my truck is a 2009. I have not had ANY problems out of it. I was actually thinking about getting the BMW X5, but boy im glad I didnt. I could go on and on about my Lexy, but if you have one you know the feeling.

Interior, smooth ride and exterior.

More leg room for third row seats.

The SUV that all aspire to be
By haultj

2004 Lexus GX 470 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

I purchased this new in May 2004. I have never been more happy with a vehicle purchase. Everyone loves this vehicle from the exterior look to the interior feel this is as close to perfect as they come. This has great power for the highway and is amazing in any weather or terrain. I have taken this where no other could go. Deep snow is no match. Off road is so easy. I use this to haul and deliver equipment to my clients and I could not be more happy with this vehicle. The Mark Levison sound is great! The navigation gets me where I want to go. Everyone feels safe when I drive them in this vehicle. Fill it with gas, do standard maintenance and it goes and goes.

Way too many to list. Everything. . .

The rear door. I liked the hatch type door on my old Ford Explorer. This door is just huge and in the way when you want to open it.

Most trouble free I have ever had
By kambiz

2004 Lexus GX 470 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

In almost 100,000 miles on and off road driving this is the most trouble free car I have ever had. Brakes lasted 80k miles 100 percent joy to go off road and great in the city.

everything

I would replace the rear door opening to raise up instead of opening like door into the traffic. This feature was for Japan where they drive on the left side of the road.

My Lexy
By lux2u

2004 Lexus GX 470 4WD 4dr SUV (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

Love my 2004 GX470. I have never had any major issues, just normal maintenance. I would highly recommend this SUV - not too big, not too small, not great gas mileage, but not bad, just an all around great car. Very comfortable and a great ride. Despite all the issues with Toyota, I would buy this car again...especially if they change the rear door!

smooth ride, very comfortable, great pickup, decent gas mileage for the size of the engine all around nice ride!

Change the "tailgate" door. Initially loved that it opened from the side, but soon discovered how much I appreciated a true "tailgate". The side door will be a major decision on my next SUV purchase. I love my lexi. But hate the "back door, " I miss a true tailgate.