Surprisingly Jeep-like! But...incredibly comfortable.
By wrightonman on
2012 Jeep Patriot Latitude 4dr SUV 4WD (2.4L 4cyl CVT)
I reluctantly and sullenly bought the Patriot over a year ago. With a growing family, full sized dog & insane gas prices, I traded in my Wrangler with resent...the poor Patriot didn't have a chance. I hated it before I even set foot in the Jeep dealership-lol I was 100% wrong. I honestly cannot say anything bad about this vehicle. I really like it! I grew up with a CJ5 as our "family" car, I have no idea how my parents managed that!?! My favorite Jeep product I ever owned was a 1988 Cherokee & the sweet little Patriot comes darn close to that Cherokee in looks and solid feel. Performance is far better, off-roading...well, I'm older now & seldom hit the trails. Great little 4X4Xme.
Favorite Features
Fuel economy isn't too shabby for a 4WD vehicle. Love the boxy shape. It has adequate power for passing, the 2.4 liter will eagerly pull to the redline. Autostick is handy. The ride is so smooth yet firm enough to inspire "alternate routes" down dirt roads now and then. "Low Range" crawls nicely. Plenty of room for 2 adults, 2 kids, 80lb dog, gear/luggage (the roof carries extra cargo if needed.) Neat built-in LED flashlight in the rear liftgate area. Great sound system! The all speed stability control/traction control is phenomenal, came in real handy on a curved exit ramp last winter, it completely recovered from the skid before I could react! Thank you Jeep.
Suggested Improvements
Whimpy single note horn-lol It needs a pretty face, some headlight trim rings like the Wrangler has would be nice. Why not square headlights like the original XJ bodies had? A revvy Jeep is odd for people like me. We are used to torquey (gas guzzling) large displacement engines that grunt around instead of zinging up to the redline to get the job done. It takes some getting used and feels fine now. I just think that some people are put off by this "car" characteristic and don't even give this vehicle a chance. Like I almost did.