Used 2008 Jeep Compass Consumer Reviews - 49 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Jeep Compass - Consumer Reviews

2008 Jeep Compass

View reviews for a specific Compass model:

roll-backs
By southmax

2008 Jeep Compass Sport 4dr SUV 4WD (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I thought i loved the jeep compass, until i came to an incline, the truck goes backward instead of forward. Has anyone else had this problem with the 08 COMPASS? Other than the roll back, it seems to be a great little car. I reported the problem to Chrysler's headquarter, they had the car picked up about 20 minutes after i called.I am waiting to hear from them.

It is roomy,very cute, and the paint job is great with the sparkles in it.

It has a blind side, could redesign to have a better side view.

Disappointed
By Kelly

2008 Jeep Compass Sport 4dr SUV 4WD (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car after a Liberty because I was trying to save on gas. Saved there lost elsewhere. I am 5'10 and this car is NOT for tall people. The roof is not like other cars and when I pull up to stop lights (on the white line) I have to duck my head to see what color the light is. I do like how it whips around corners and handles great. However, after having this car for a week, I am in the process of returning it. I wish the roof was better and didn't have the extra material by the windshield. Jeep struck out with this one for tall people.

The color and sunroof are hands down my favorite. The handling is also amazing. I love how the trunk area is made of hard plastic. Easy clean up. The many small compartments and the sliding middle is also a plus.

The large space above the windshield needs to be removed. This car is only for people under 5'6 as my mother in law had a hard time seeing as well.

I like it!
By Mission

2008 Jeep Compass Sport 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

Just picked up an '08 last weekend. So far I love it!. Fun to drive very comfortable and good on gas. I actually really enjoy the CVT transmission and when I need a change I go to autostick. You do not need any more power than this in a vehicle.

Comfortable, looks great. I'm 6'1 and have tons of head and leg room in here.

Center console is too low

Zippy
By Johnny Rocket

2008 Jeep Compass Sport 4dr SUV (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

My wife and I got this Jeep for $12,700... NEW off the lot with 62 miles on it. We have the 2.4L with a five-speed. We heard the CVT was a turd and are very happy with a manual; my wife hates it, but I turn of the traction control and pull the parking brake, roll and smoke the front tires all day long. I don't like the styling its too round, but its my wife's car and she loves it. The transmission had to be replaced after 10,000 miles, it was not do to my abuse, but because of the syncro for 5th gear exploding on the freeway. We get on avg 28mpg with a mix of 50%city 40%highway 10%idling (I idle alot waiting on my wife while she is inside the store shopping and I'm sleeping in the Jeep.)

The 5-speed transmission and 2.4L engine. The way you drive affects your MPG, if my wife always drove I think that this Jeep could start to creep up into the low 30's MPG

There are some refinements that are done in a products life cycle. The only thing is, when dropping the back seats forward it scratches the hand cranks for the back door windows. You must have the door open for the side you are dropping.

Ignore the critics.... Compass is A-OK!
By CompassMan

2008 Jeep Compass Sport 4dr SUV 4WD (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

Our 2008 Compass Sport is an extremely nice, well featured vehicle... esp. when considering what we paid out-the- door for it: $16,400. The interior catches way TOO much flak from reviewers. It is roomy and the seats are very comfortable. Gas mileage is good: 4 people/luggage, A/C on, 75 mph produced nearly 26 mpg on a recent trip. No A/C and under 65 mph pushed it up over 30 mpg! It's been reliable, and only had one warranty repair for a couple of suspension bolts in nearly 20k mileage. As far as performance... all you have to do is put your foot down on the accelerator a bit more firm and get the RPMs up. That's it. The 172 HP does the rest. Highly recommend for $$$

Auto CVT/power windows/locks/tilt/cruise/rear defrost/privacy glass/air conditioning/ABS/traction control/CD player/spoked 17" rims... all for $16,400 OTD! Comfortable seating for 4 adults.

2009 interior redo took care of the armrest padding and need for a bit more sound deadening /insulation.