Used 2001 Jeep Cherokee Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Jeep Cherokee - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Cherokee model:

junk
By Jason

2001 Jeep Cherokee Sport 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

I just got this jeep and let me tell you it stinks! No power no good off road capabilities. Worst of all no room. I have a family of 4 and none of us are liking it. Im going back to my chevy Avalanch more room, power and better fuel milage.

The used car lot that took it off my hands

buy a different car

Great Jeep
By hsowle

2001 Jeep Cherokee Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

Amazing Jeep. I have had it for 2 years and have had no mechanical problems, with the exception of a faulty check engine light. I take it off roading and it handles like a dream in snow and rain. There is limited head room, but the front seats are exceptionally comfy (especially with the seat heaters). Not great gas mileage, but you don't buy an SUV expecting great mileage. I would highly recommend this Jeep to anyone who wants a reliable workhorse of a vehicle. By far the most reliable and versatile vehicle that Jeep has ever come out with. I wish they'd bring them back!

4WD, handling off road/snowy weather, looks, reliability

More head room, more leg room in the backseat, PLEASE BRING THEM BACK!

Great Buy For the Money
By COL Rhino

2001 Jeep Cherokee Sport 4WD 2dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

I recently purchased my used, 2001 Jeep Cherokee Sport with 67,300 miles on it. So far, it is exactly what I expected, a solid, 4x4, SUV that is great for daily driving. My other vehicle is a 2005 Cadillac STS that I use if I want to have a luxury sport ride. Although it had passed State Inspection, I immediately had some upgrades installed. I had 5 brand new Firestone Destination A/T tires installed, a catback, Borla exhaust system, a heavy duty Interstate 7 year battery, a full set of 4 KYB heavy duty gas shocks and a new heavy duty steering dampener. Everything else was "good to go" and passed State inspection. I enjoy driving it locally every day. My wife enjoys it also.

I really like the classic, boxy, Jeep exterior design & solid construction. I expect to have to do regular maintenance, but just in case I purchased one of those bumper to bumper, extended warranties also. So far, this is a great used, daily driver for any kind of weather. It is my 2nd Jeep.

Geeez - this was the last year for this design. I just wish they did not discontinue this model since the basic style is timeless. It really would not need too much to bring it up to current fuel mileage standards. What a great ride for the money!!!

This Jeep is a Champ
By Littlewing

2001 Jeep Cherokee Sport 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

Chrysler totally blew it when they discontinued this model in a pathetic attempt to court the soccer mom set. They have yet to produce anything even close and now they are looking for a government hand out? That 4.0, 6 cylinder is rock solid and has plenty of power. The is a simple vehicle that any mechanic and most back yard tinkers can work on. I use mine for commuting, back country trout fishing, beach driving and towing my boat. It has over 120k miles(just a pup) and it has cost me almost nothing in repairs. I have owned a Trooper, 4Runner and a Grand Cherokee. This little SUV beats them all hands down. Wake up Chrysler give us back our real Cherokee and maybe you'll even turn a profit.

Off road ability. Lack of body role and looks. This Jeep looks like a real Jeep and you can still put all your gear in it.

Bring it back. Please!!!!!

The Brute
By Clarkecars

2001 Jeep Cherokee Classic 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

I bought my 4WD Cherokee for one reason, no other small or midsize SUV at the time or now had the reputation and ability to pull my 23 ft saltwater walk-around fishing boat and tandem axle trailer. After 6 plus years of yeoman like duty, hauling that boat on trips as long as 1100 miles. I've replaced the radiator, water pump and a u-joint in 150K miles. It's amusing to slip into 4Wheel High on a wet boat ramp and walk up the ramp while larger pickups and SUVs spin their tires hooked to smaller boats. I wish they still made them and because I don't I won't be getting rid of mine anytime soon. It's a little Brute!

Tougher than steel girders 4 Litre inline 6 cyl engine and AW4 automatic transmission. It's a truck in ride and handling to be sure, but a reliable, nimble and convenient truck.

The back seat is its weakest point. Very little comfort for rear passengers.