2001 Jeep Cherokee SE Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Jeep Cherokee - Consumer Reviews

2001 Cherokee Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Cherokee model:

Sort Reviews by

Buy one before they are history
By XJforever

2001 Jeep Cherokee Sport 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

Owned for one year. Bought with 19,000 miles - just crossed 30,000. Absolutely the best vehicle I have ever owned. Solid as a rock, great off-road and in the snow. Only issues are the lack of a left foot rest (during long drives this can be a problem) and gas mileage in stop and go traffic. But it is the last of the best that Jeep has ever made. Ending production of the XJ will lose loyal customers as Daimler-Chrysler migrates toward independent front suspensions across the board. I fully expect that this vehicle will last me for over 200,000 miles. Many XJ owners will attest to the ease with which this happens if you just change the oil and do the maintenance.

Favorite Features

Classic style, solid drive train, true SUV.

Suggested Improvements

If they ever bring it back - left foot rest for the driver, better back seat, rear mounted spare tire.

New guy REALLY digs his Jeep
By Knucklehedd

2001 Jeep Cherokee Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

I bought this thing while I was home on leave from a deployment. I was only able to drive it for a week and a half while I was home, but, man alive! I drove the ever livin crud out of it. Now all I can do is sit around and daydream when me and my lady are reunited. Externally very understated, internally it's a whole other world. I knew this immediately as I slid over the leather seats and perused the controls. The torque is breathtaking and the overall build and handling of this hunk of metal is much better than I had expected. I would never seek to modify this gem - much, but I've already been toying with hanging parts on another older model.

Favorite Features

Heated seats. I'll never use 'em, but it's cool to say I've got 'em. It just puts emphasis on the fact that I've got ALL the features. The 4.0 6 IL brings a focus to my chi. I'm still overwhelmed by how much vehicle I have. I don't think I've even played with everything yet!

Suggested Improvements

Someone mentioned earlier a forward visibility issue. I'm a taller dude and I often find myself ducking under the rearview during right turns. Negligible trade off for such a fine vehicle. Pogos a bit on the highway, but who cares? Eats up fuel bigtime.

Too bad they're gone
By tinias

2001 Jeep Cherokee Sport 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

A great ride. Very capable offroad, with good power and low end torque.

Favorite Features

4x4 capablitity and overall design

Suggested Improvements

Bring them back. Liberties can't compare and neither can the grand cherokee.

Rotors, Rotors, Rotors
By Rich F.

2001 Jeep Cherokee Sport 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

I purchase my Jeep Cherokee Sport 4WD new back in July of 2001. I did enjoy driving it and it was my first Cherokee after owning 4 Grand Cherokees. I switched to the Cherokee after having numerous problems with the Grand Cherokees. In the end, the one problem that still persisted with the Cherokee was that the rotors warped approximately every 12,000-15,000 when they were just out of warranty. I have heard that the newer Jeep have a better brake design but I was not willing to try another one at this time. I just purchased a new 2004 Toyota 4Runner SR5 and I am much more impressed with the build quality when compared to the Jeeps.

Favorite Features

Simplicity in Design, No Frills just what you need in a classic SUV

Suggested Improvements

Fix those Rotors once and for all.

great
By ottotheduke

2001 Jeep Cherokee Sport 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

im buyin another, they stopped making the xj model but im getting another used one the 4x4 system is the best and will last forever.

Favorite Features

everything

Suggested Improvements

none

2001 Jeep
By Ryan Wells

2001 Jeep Cherokee Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

This is a good vehicle. I wish it was a little more quiet. Also, it is rough, running and idleing. Power and handeling is wonderful.

Favorite Features

Power

Suggested Improvements

Balance the engine

Excellent 4x4
By Natedawg

2001 Jeep Cherokee Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

I love my cherokee! The 4 wheel drive system on the jeeps are some of the best around. One day I was being follwed fastly by a guy in an Explorer on a sandy dirt road, my cherokee ran smoothly through the sand, yet he was wiping out in the sand. Sometimes I can not tell if I'm riding offroad or on the pavement. Lots of fun!

Favorite Features

I love the position of the rear speakers. Rugged yet nice to look at exterior styling. Very cold air conditioner. Stock Wheels. Ceiling instrument monitor.

Suggested Improvements

I know the cherokee isn't made anymore, but a more appealing interior would have been nice. More comfortable seats. Otherwise no complaints. Gas milage could be better. Otherwise no complaints. Don't ever put pink threading in seats of a truck or suv!

MITY SUV
By ReblTeen84

2001 Jeep Cherokee Sport 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

I come from a family of Jeeps, so it was sorta logoical when i got mine. Grandma had one for 15 years before it caught fire, and she ended up replacing it with another cherokee. Mine does anything i want it to and i have yet to get it stuck anywhere, and thats WITH everything stock. The only thing i did after i bought it was repalce the Goodyears that came on it..disgusting things they were. Put Michelin Cross Terrain SUV's on it. Havn't had any major problems except for a 4x4 issue, but that ended up being a fault of the dealer. Excellent in the snow and off road. Anyways, if you can find one, i highly recommend it!

Favorite Features

Glued to the road, god-given talent in 4 wheel drive.

Suggested Improvements

not a ONE

Don't be fooled by its longevity
By Coleg5

2001 Jeep Cherokee Sport 2WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

Bought new in 2001. Front end shimmy & pulsating brakes from day one (never fixed). Taken to the shop 12 times over a 2 year period. Problems either came back again or were replaced by others. I tried repeatedly to get satisfaction from Chrysler with no success. I was even told by an employee at their complaint department that all Cherokees have that front end shimmy problem and there is nothing that can be done. I finally got rid of this lemon a few months ago. I had intended to buy a Dodge pickup after this vehicle, but due to this experience, I will NEVER buy another Chrysler product!!

Favorite Features

Boxy look, rough ride and great power for a vehicle of its weight class with a 6 cylinder.

Suggested Improvements

A hand grenade.

Liberty is No Equal to the Cherokee!
By Trathen

2001 Jeep Cherokee Sport 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

Jeep should have never stopped making this wonderful 4x4. A true classic that can not be replaced by current models. Now will have to wait for the Jeep Rescue!

Favorite Features

Everything except mileage!

Suggested Improvements

Bring it back!