2001 Jeep Cherokee - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Cherokee model:
Buy one before they are history
By XJforever on 09/29/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Jeep Cherokee Sport 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

Owned for one year. Bought with 19,000 miles - just crossed 30,000. Absolutely the best vehicle I have ever owned. Solid as a rock, great off-road and in the snow. Only issues are the lack of a left foot rest (during long drives this can be a problem) and gas mileage in stop and go traffic. But it is the last of the best that Jeep has ever made. Ending production of the XJ will lose loyal customers as Daimler-Chrysler migrates toward independent front suspensions across the board. I fully expect that this vehicle will last me for over 200,000 miles. Many XJ owners will attest to the ease with which this happens if you just change the oil and do the maintenance.

New guy REALLY digs his Jeep
By Knucklehedd on 07/31/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Jeep Cherokee Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

I bought this thing while I was home on leave from a deployment. I was only able to drive it for a week and a half while I was home, but, man alive! I drove the ever livin crud out of it. Now all I can do is sit around and daydream when me and my lady are reunited. Externally very understated, internally it's a whole other world. I knew this immediately as I slid over the leather seats and perused the controls. The torque is breathtaking and the overall build and handling of this hunk of metal is much better than I had expected. I would never seek to modify this gem - much, but I've already been toying with hanging parts on another older model.

Too bad they're gone
By tinias on 07/27/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Jeep Cherokee Sport 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

A great ride. Very capable offroad, with good power and low end torque.

Rotors, Rotors, Rotors
By Rich F. on 07/22/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Jeep Cherokee Sport 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

I purchase my Jeep Cherokee Sport 4WD new back in July of 2001. I did enjoy driving it and it was my first Cherokee after owning 4 Grand Cherokees. I switched to the Cherokee after having numerous problems with the Grand Cherokees. In the end, the one problem that still persisted with the Cherokee was that the rotors warped approximately every 12,000-15,000 when they were just out of warranty. I have heard that the newer Jeep have a better brake design but I was not willing to try another one at this time. I just purchased a new 2004 Toyota 4Runner SR5 and I am much more impressed with the build quality when compared to the Jeeps.

great
By ottotheduke on 07/19/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Jeep Cherokee Sport 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

im buyin another, they stopped making the xj model but im getting another used one the 4x4 system is the best and will last forever.

2001 Jeep
By Ryan Wells on 07/11/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Jeep Cherokee Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

This is a good vehicle. I wish it was a little more quiet. Also, it is rough, running and idleing. Power and handeling is wonderful.

Excellent 4x4
By Natedawg on 06/18/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Jeep Cherokee Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

I love my cherokee! The 4 wheel drive system on the jeeps are some of the best around. One day I was being follwed fastly by a guy in an Explorer on a sandy dirt road, my cherokee ran smoothly through the sand, yet he was wiping out in the sand. Sometimes I can not tell if I'm riding offroad or on the pavement. Lots of fun!

MITY SUV
By ReblTeen84 on 06/09/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Jeep Cherokee Sport 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

I come from a family of Jeeps, so it was sorta logoical when i got mine. Grandma had one for 15 years before it caught fire, and she ended up replacing it with another cherokee. Mine does anything i want it to and i have yet to get it stuck anywhere, and thats WITH everything stock. The only thing i did after i bought it was repalce the Goodyears that came on it..disgusting things they were. Put Michelin Cross Terrain SUV's on it. Havn't had any major problems except for a 4x4 issue, but that ended up being a fault of the dealer. Excellent in the snow and off road. Anyways, if you can find one, i highly recommend it!

Don't be fooled by its longevity
By Coleg5 on 04/02/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 Jeep Cherokee Sport 2WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

Bought new in 2001. Front end shimmy & pulsating brakes from day one (never fixed). Taken to the shop 12 times over a 2 year period. Problems either came back again or were replaced by others. I tried repeatedly to get satisfaction from Chrysler with no success. I was even told by an employee at their complaint department that all Cherokees have that front end shimmy problem and there is nothing that can be done. I finally got rid of this lemon a few months ago. I had intended to buy a Dodge pickup after this vehicle, but due to this experience, I will NEVER buy another Chrysler product!!

Liberty is No Equal to the Cherokee!
By Trathen on 03/30/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 Jeep Cherokee Sport 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

Jeep should have never stopped making this wonderful 4x4. A true classic that can not be replaced by current models. Now will have to wait for the Jeep Rescue!