Used 2001 Jeep Cherokee Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Jeep Cherokee - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Cherokee model:

Jeeps are my life
By sdv

2001 Jeep Cherokee Sport 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

I have owned 5 Jeeps. 83 cj7, 88 Wrangler, 2-91 Cherokees, and this 01 Cherokee. They all had the inline six cyl. motors. Good rugged vehicles. I plowed with the cj and wrangler and they held up good. The Cherokees are good cars but they all seem to have issues around the 100000 mile mark. I have learned from the past to just bite the bullet and put radiators in them at the 100 grand mark. They are not that good on gas (maybe 21 to 23 on a trip)but I still keep buying them..LOL They are good in the snow climate up here in the northeast. This 2001 Cherokee has had synthetic oil changes since new so we will so how long I can run this without getting the usual compression blow by.

good ride, stereo, ruggedness, and body design.

The 4 wheel drive systems should be full time or all wheel drive not part time 4 wheel, parts can get a little expensive also for some repairs.

junk
By Jason

2001 Jeep Cherokee Sport 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

I just got this jeep and let me tell you it stinks! No power no good off road capabilities. Worst of all no room. I have a family of 4 and none of us are liking it. Im going back to my chevy Avalanch more room, power and better fuel milage.

The used car lot that took it off my hands

buy a different car

Great Jeep
By hsowle

2001 Jeep Cherokee Limited 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 4A)

Amazing Jeep. I have had it for 2 years and have had no mechanical problems, with the exception of a faulty check engine light. I take it off roading and it handles like a dream in snow and rain. There is limited head room, but the front seats are exceptionally comfy (especially with the seat heaters). Not great gas mileage, but you don't buy an SUV expecting great mileage. I would highly recommend this Jeep to anyone who wants a reliable workhorse of a vehicle. By far the most reliable and versatile vehicle that Jeep has ever come out with. I wish they'd bring them back!

4WD, handling off road/snowy weather, looks, reliability

More head room, more leg room in the backseat, PLEASE BRING THEM BACK!

Great Buy For the Money
By COL Rhino

2001 Jeep Cherokee Sport 4WD 2dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

I recently purchased my used, 2001 Jeep Cherokee Sport with 67,300 miles on it. So far, it is exactly what I expected, a solid, 4x4, SUV that is great for daily driving. My other vehicle is a 2005 Cadillac STS that I use if I want to have a luxury sport ride. Although it had passed State Inspection, I immediately had some upgrades installed. I had 5 brand new Firestone Destination A/T tires installed, a catback, Borla exhaust system, a heavy duty Interstate 7 year battery, a full set of 4 KYB heavy duty gas shocks and a new heavy duty steering dampener. Everything else was "good to go" and passed State inspection. I enjoy driving it locally every day. My wife enjoys it also.

I really like the classic, boxy, Jeep exterior design & solid construction. I expect to have to do regular maintenance, but just in case I purchased one of those bumper to bumper, extended warranties also. So far, this is a great used, daily driver for any kind of weather. It is my 2nd Jeep.

Geeez - this was the last year for this design. I just wish they did not discontinue this model since the basic style is timeless. It really would not need too much to bring it up to current fuel mileage standards. What a great ride for the money!!!

This Jeep is a Champ
By Littlewing

2001 Jeep Cherokee Sport 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

Chrysler totally blew it when they discontinued this model in a pathetic attempt to court the soccer mom set. They have yet to produce anything even close and now they are looking for a government hand out? That 4.0, 6 cylinder is rock solid and has plenty of power. The is a simple vehicle that any mechanic and most back yard tinkers can work on. I use mine for commuting, back country trout fishing, beach driving and towing my boat. It has over 120k miles(just a pup) and it has cost me almost nothing in repairs. I have owned a Trooper, 4Runner and a Grand Cherokee. This little SUV beats them all hands down. Wake up Chrysler give us back our real Cherokee and maybe you'll even turn a profit.

Off road ability. Lack of body role and looks. This Jeep looks like a real Jeep and you can still put all your gear in it.

Bring it back. Please!!!!!

• SUV