Used 2006 Hyundai Elantra Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Hyundai Elantra Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Elantra model:

2006 Elantra GLS still going strong at 214,576
By binski72

2006 Hyundai Elantra Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

I bought this car new in june of 2006. The only thing I have done to this car is change the oil every 5,000 miles. I have gone through 3 sets of tires and front brakes 3 times. at 120,000 I did a complete tune up and had the trans and radiator flushed. This is my 4th elantra and they heve never let me down. Just make sure you do the basic maintaince and it will last a long time. I do drive 90% of the time on the highway. With the cruise controll set at 68mph I am still getting 32mpg on the highway. If i set it at 78mph it drops to 28mpg.

Transmission Problems
By missmyescort

2006 Hyundai Elantra Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

I've had my 2006 Elantra for 3 years. Up until the last week I was pretty impressed with the value. These cars are much cheaper than those in its class for any given year. I had to replace the A/C condenser and a power steering pump but not bad for three years. ENTER YEAR 4 & THE TRANNY PROBLEM! I didn't read a single review about Hyundai tranny problems... but once my car started having problems I googled "hard shift from 2nd to 3rd after car has warmed up" and WOW! A lot of people have had this problem. Replacement was the only successful fix (appears it doesn't lead to failure but I can't live it). These car also have timing belts, another expensive maintenance item so trade it in I did.

Pretty quick, cheap parts & perfectly sized (not too small, not too big).

Spongy handling, CD player quit working & light switch occasionally kills battery even though its been selected "OFF". Fuel mileage is average for a car its size at best.

Still going strong
By dragunz

2006 Hyundai Elantra Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

Well, here it is 2013 and my 2006 Hyundai Elantra GLS is still going strong. 128k miles on it, its paid off, and it has only had a few issues over the past six years other than standard maintenance. The one thing that still irks the hell out of me though is the staring wheel material. It has degraded and is basically crumbling away. I took it to the dealership when i was still within the 60k bumper to bumper warranty. They had the nerve to tell me it was not covered and i was causing the damage with my finger nails??? Oh well, that's what black electrical tape and steering wheel covers are for. All in all i am hoping to keep this car another two years for my daughter.

The amount of 'cubbie holes' and spaces to put stuff in this car seem endless!! The trunk is nearly the same size as my mothers Lincoln Town Car!!! Mechanically it has exceeded my expectations, i just changed my first signal light after almost 6 years! The six speaker sound system was excellent for such an inexpensive car.

PLEASE....fix whatever the material they are using for the steering wheel!! It does not hold up, and i hear that Hyundai is still denying people who have these issues fixes. Increase the size of the sunglasses holder, while it is wide enough, there is not enough depth for larger sunglasses.

Not a Good Car
By 06elantraowner

2006 Hyundai Elantra Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

I currently own an 06 Elantra, after owning an 02 Elantra, I am seriously disappointed. The gas mileage has gotten horrid. I don't even get 18 miles to the gallon anymore, and it has been to every required maintenance and then more. I have taken good care of it, but the reliability of the parts is terrible, and again it has become a horrific gas guzzler. I am at a loss, as is Hyundai, to why it can't get anything over 18 mpg. It is poorly built, the interior has begun to fall apart, switches and knobs have broken, and the cloth seats are coming apart. This car has been used as an in city car only, but is still just falling apart, and costing me an arm and a leg to continue to drive.

I have no favorite features.

First, go back to the 1.8 Litre engine of the previous, and now 2012 models. Dump this awful 2.0L engine. The sluggishness of the transmission needs attention. The thin metal used for body work needs to be thicker to prevent a ton of dings and nicks. The paint is not a good quality. Make the interior more modern, get rid of the dated fabric on the seats, add more electronics, like sat nav etc... Just stop using poor quality parts and piss poor construction. This is just a bad car over all, whatever they did in the 02 they stopped doing and should go back to, it was better built, and ran much better. I will be getting rid of this car first chance I get.

low maintenance and fuel efficient
By sshegls

2006 Hyundai Elantra Sedan GLS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Overall this car is great. Bouht it when it was new in 2006 because it has a 5 star safety rating and was inexpensive around 13,000. I had horrible credit but hyundai is great at approving financing. Ive only had to do oil changes and one set of tires. Have 36000 miles all highway. I drive long distance and car is very comfy on highway and its "get up n go" peppy. the ac and heat is fanominal in this car and the hotest/coldest ive ever seen. I still have original light bulbs and only used 3 tanks of gas to drive ny to fl as i commute. car is especially smooth with michellin tires and quiet. There is no wind noise at all. I replaced the radio with a sony and sound quality is 10 times better.

there is a slide out set of cup holders in the rear seat which is cool for rear passengers. I like the lights on the doors that light up when the doors are open that help see and other cars will see the doors open and be cautious. i plan to keep car for as long as it lasts. You can get a full size spare rim for only 70 bucks and discard the donut so if u have a problem you dont have to drive slow. Car is great in snow and water and easy to parrallel park with a wide turning radious.

Rear end tends to lean "sway" so around sharp turns u will need to slow down to avoid fishtailing due to wimpy sway bar and springs on the mcpherson struts could be stiffer althouh these cons allow for a very comfortable ride on highway. ive noticed cheap exterior vinle pillar coverings flack off after about 5 years and crinkle up, also antena pint fades from black to silver. another plus is rear seat back has 3 child seat hooks allowing for safe easy installing of baby seat