2003 Hyundai Elantra Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Elantra model:
Would buy again!
By DBiz on 10/13/07 06:34 AM (PDT)

2003 Hyundai Elantra Hatchback GT 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Have put 45K miles on mine and it's been great. I have a small car ego: my main concerns are reliability and gas mileage. This car excels in both areas. Only corrective maintenance needed in 4+ years is to replace headlight bulbs and a blown thermostat (car overheated). The thermostat repair was covered by warranty and I got a free tow through the roadside assistance plan - no problems with either. I drive 50 miles a day for work, mostly highway, and get 32-35 mpg cruising at 70. It's probably closer to 20 mpg around town. Other mentions: Excellent storage under the hatch...good power and torque, you can pass easily on the highway...easy to use interior controls.

good car, service too expensive.
By Beth on 04/11/07 07:40 AM (PDT)

2003 Hyundai Elantra Hatchback GT 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I just took my car in for its 60,000 servicing-- $880!! I was not shocked by the $400 servicing at 30,000, but this one threw me for a loop! I wasn't prepared for that big a number. (I guess the warranty is not COMPLETELY free, since these two services are REQUIRED in order to keep your car under warranty.) I have had to replace a few bulbs too, and they are a little tricky to do yourself. One bigger issue: When I accelerate hard to get up to speed (like on an on-ramp) the car downshifts ROUGH-- it sounds like the transmission is about to fall out of the bottom of the car. I don't like that much, and the dealership doesn't seem to think it is a big deal, but it makes me nervous.

No Problems
By streak on 02/12/07 11:49 AM (PST)

2003 Hyundai Elantra Hatchback GT 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Have had this car for over 3 years. Light usage, mostly in town, some trips. Have had no problems..nada. Guess I'll take it in at 30k for checkup. Have not replaced any lights,but will check them all out after reading other reviews. A very fun and reliable car.

Emergency Brake
By stoneweave on 01/17/07 15:09 PM (PST)

2003 Hyundai Elantra Hatchback GT 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I have had my Hyundai for 4 years now and just recently my emergency started freezing. A mechanic told me that the brake seemed fine, but the problem still continues. The other major problem that I had with the car was the paint. After one year the paint started bubbling in certain spots. I complained to the dealer and was finally able to get them to repaint the car free of charge.

disheartened
By disappointed on 12/18/06 05:58 AM (PST)

2003 Hyundai Elantra Hatchback GT 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

The car was taken back to the dealership within 24 hours for problems. Currently on 4th set of tires within 3 years. Emergency brake locks in cold weather and wears down tires (been towed several times). Maker doesn't take blame, rather passes the buck. Solutions are not guaranteed that problems are fixed, yet my wallet takes the brunt. Dealerships report that my problem is not a warranty issue. Frustrated!

Best Purchase of my Life
By sp0502 on 10/25/06 16:15 PM (PDT)

2003 Hyundai Elantra Hatchback GT 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car when I got my first job out of college. Being a hotshot, I wanted to buy a car that I couldn't afford. Came to my better senses and purchased this car. Thank God I did! With the leather, interior space, exterior design, air bags, moonroof, etc... I was given every luxury I wanted (w/ the exception of a Navigation option and ironically, no cassette). The gas mileage is decent too. The only problems I had were replacing the lights (head, tail, and fog CONSTANTLY... must've replaced 8x between them all and it hasn't been 4 years). Rear spoiler was coming off but warranty covered it. Service department is terrible but that's not the car's fault.

Almost Perfect
By Spidy on 03/17/06 21:55 PM (PST)

2003 Hyundai Elantra Hatchback GT 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I have mostly good things to say about this vehical Very reliable,Well equiped a bargin for the price!!

Great Car for the price
By E SPATS on 03/01/06 21:47 PM (PST)

2003 Hyundai Elantra Hatchback GT 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I have had this car for 3 years now and have had no major problems. I took it to the dealer where I purchased the car before it hit the 100,000 mile mark and told them to service whatever had to be fixed, such as a tune up (which I had never had done from the original purchase) they told me "Everything looks fine ,you don't need a tune up yet" The only service's that have been done are, Radiator flush, O2 senser,Timing belt, Trans oil, Tires, Oil changes. With the exception of MANY bulbs be it, foglight,high beam ,low beam, break light !!Otherwise Truly a great car!!!

Dependable
By CaseyJPS on 01/11/06 00:58 AM (PST)

2003 Hyundai Elantra Hatchback GT 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I've had this car 2.5 years and it has been as reliable as my Miata. Warranty work has included a new battery, driver's side visor clip, and mirror covers on visors (I live in the desert and the car sits outside in very hot weather, so the interior plastics are very challenged on this car.) Replaced original tires around 20,000 miles. Gas mileage averages 22-23, and has topped-out at 33mpg (at a constant 75- 85 mph). I am convinced this car will last forever. The build quality, fit and finish is excellent (the "trunk" area could use a bit more attention however).

Great car for the money
By gmcgregg on 11/24/05 23:40 PM (PST)

2003 Hyundai Elantra Hatchback GT 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

This vehicle has been the most reliable and fun to drive for the money. It have had only one problem with the vehicle and it was covered under their exceptional warrenty. This vehicle has be the least problematic vehicle I have owned especially when compared to the GM, Ford & Dodges I purchased in the recent past.