17" Tires Extremely Prone to Damage
By jjbaltimore on
2013 Hyundai Elantra GT 4dr Hatchback (1.8L 4cyl 6A)
I bought my Elantra GT 2013 this past October. I loved the panoramic sunroof and got the style package. This included 17" low profile wheels and tires which look great, but BEWARE. Within 3 weeks this winter, average road conditions (meaning lots of potholes) resulted in 3 tires developing 3 sidewall bubbles. This included a tire that had just been replaced. There is an entire forum on this problem with this car and these tires. Read it. http://www.cargurus.com/Cars/Discussion-t35968_ds499866?actionMessages=Your+answer+has+been+posted.
Favorite Features
Still love the sunroof and the adjustability of the seats, heated seats, arm rest extension. (I am 5'3")
Suggested Improvements
The above tire issues resulted in $1500 in car rentals, tire replacements, and ultimately, the only real fix, buying 16" wheels and tires (not OE) and replacing the low profile nightmares. Hyundai will do nothing. Nexen tires will do nothing. If you live anywhere in a 4 season area, these tires can't handle anything but perfect road conditions. BTW this is true of most low profile tires on any car, which are becoming very popular with manufacturers for some unknown reason in recent years.
By oracle_of_rock
on 05/27/14 20:41 PM (PDT)

I also purchased a 2013 Elantra GT with the 17 inch wheels. A little off subject here but the car I traded was a 2012 Cruze LTZ with optional, low profile 18 inch wheels. I had damaged one of the tires, plus the alloy wheel, complete with the sidewall bubble but thought I hit a curb or something. After reading the aforementioned post I realized this is what damaged my Cruze's tire. Jjbaltimore is absolutely right. I promised my wife I wouldn't buy another car with these tires but we turned around and fell in love with this heavily discounted GT while forgetting about these crazy tires. DO BE CAREFUL - these tires are not only delicate but they're expensive too. Larger wheels + low profile, performance tires + alloy wheels = $$$. On the lighter side, they do look amazing. One other thing, they're performance tires; they're made from softer material (wider too) so they adhere to the road better in warm weather. This also means they won't last as long as regular, higher profile tires. Unless you purchase dedicated winter tires often necessary in colder climates (not all-season), they won't work well in snow. We discovered this little nugget of info after getting stuck twice; once in our own driveway!! In making winter tires, manufacturers use a different casting compound, narrower width, and a tread design with more snipes (horizontal tire slots that are cut or modded into the tire tread). After doing some research, I also learned that you need to buy four winter tires rather than just two. It's something about how only two tires adversely effect the handling of the car. Guess what, dedicated winter tires = $$$ Looks probably play a large part in why manufacturers use them. I know it's not because I need to drive in the 100-130 mph range!! I hopes this helps. Looks are nice but not always the smart way to go.