Used 2013 Honda Pilot Consumer Reviews - 41 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2013 Honda Pilot - Consumer Reviews

2013 Honda Pilot

View reviews for a specific Pilot model:

VCM Issue
By mostmiles

2013 Honda Pilot EX-L 4dr SUV 4WD (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

From the day I drove the car off the lot, I have had concerns about vibration noises and hesitation in the engine. I am just about up with my warranty period and have complained about these issues every time I go for service. The dealer maintains there are no bulletins that address this issue; however, I have noted on other sites that there are complaints about this issue.

Other than that, I love the car - especially the extra space for transporting lots of stuff. I also appreciate Honda's pricing structure - unlike Toyota's which is difficult to figure out.

Heated seats, rear backup camera, lots of space, leather interior.

Acknowledge and correct the VCM problem which clearly exists.

VCM Horrible
By thebigv21

2013 Honda Pilot EX-L 4dr SUV 4WD (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

My wife had this vehicle for a month.
While driving, when the engine went into ECO mode there would be a stutter and hesitation.
The entire floor would vibrate.
I researched this problem and it seemed that a lot of people were having the same issue without a fix.
I traded the vehicle in instead of dealing with this.
Bought a highlander and it runs much better.

Lot of room.. About it

Fix the ECO mode. Improve gas mileage. Even with ECO mode, gas mileage is terrible. Improve on the boxy shape

ECO mode issue
By rachlk

2013 Honda Pilot EX-L w/Navigation 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

There is a problem when the car goes into ECO mode.
The dealer told me it was normal and that I must be over sensitive to vibration & sound.
It feels like a "hesitation" or "stutter" and is NOT normal! *sigh*
I love everything else about my Pilot, but am sad to say I'm currently looking to trade it due to this issue.

Best vehicle I have ever owned...
By hondaloverinmd

2013 Honda Pilot EX 4dr SUV 4WD (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

..and that's saying a lot - this is my 9th vehicle, 4th Honda, and 2nd Honda Pilot. Had my first Pilot ('05 model) for 7 years. Just bought a 2014 EX 4WD. There is NO engine vibration when in the VCM (aka, ECO) mode. Honda has reduced exterior noise considerably from my first Pilot - this one has a very quiet interior. Very smooth engine and transmission - typical Honda. Fantastic amount of interior space and cargo room. Great looking SUV, unlike many of the so-called modern SUVs that look like ugly, glorified station wagons. I love everything about the Pilot. The USB port and bluetooth hands-free link are much appreciated. Thanks Honda!!!

Bold, aggressive look. Cavernous interior. Strong and smooth V6. Cushy ride, soaks up any and all bumps. Extremely comfortable. USB port. Bluetooth. Rear-view camera. Build like a tank, very safe vehicle.

Honda could not improve this vehicle, IMO, aside from giving it better fuel economy. But the current fuel economy numbers are not bad..

Disappointing Experience and VCM Woes
By restlesspirate

2013 Honda Pilot Touring w/Navigation and Rear Entertainment 4dr SUV 4WD (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I traded a CRV for this 2013 Honda Pilot 4WD Touring. The Pilot came home and immediately had a moonroof leak that soaked the interior. The drain tubes were disconnected from the factory. That should have been a sign. The MPG never made it to 25 on the highway, and averages
of 15-17 were common in mixed driving over 7000 miles, even with minimal passengers. The VCM was horrible. Sometimes it felt like a bad torque converter, other times it stumbled on flat ground regularly while activating/deactivating cylinders. The only way to tolerate driving it is to drive it in D3, which shouldn't be necessary on a 40K vehicle. We traded back into a Camry SE V6. Honda has VCM troubles.

Room, comfort.

Eliminate VCM from the V6 Honda. It's useless, and a class action settlement proves that Honda knows it.