2012 Honda Pilot - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Pilot model:
3rd Pilot, and loving it
By audi40 on 08/19/12 06:08 AM (PDT)

2012 Honda Pilot Touring 4dr SUV 4WD w/Nav, Rear Entertainment (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Having owned both'03 and '07 Pilot EXL's, my wife thought she wanted something "more luxurious" this time around. Took an Infiniti JX for a day-long test drive and was "luke warm" to it. Then drove an MDX which we both thought she would end up with - while she really liked the looks and handling, she didn't like that it lacked the interior space and storage of her previous Pilots (also didn't like the big swath of fake wood trim accross the dash). Last stop was to test drive a Pilot Touring model and purchased it that same day. Loved all the features in the Touring model and for 10% off MSRP, couldn't beat the value. 2 months and 1,500+ miles later, no problems and loving the new Pilot!

first pilot ongoing updates
By twowhldoug1 on 08/15/12 13:45 PM (PDT)

2012 Honda Pilot EX-L 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Well.my wife has 3,6500miles on the pilot already and it has averaged 21.6 MPG.Not bad for it's size.She is very happy with it and the only thing she is missing from her many Nissan's is the inteligent key system.We are leaving soon to go to N.J.(we live in Chattanooga Tn) for a wedding.I guess we will really get to know the pilot on this trip.Instead of taking a pack of audio CD's to feed the bose I am carrying one jump drive.It has 665 songs on it.She has already gotten a flat tire but the tire warning system did it's job and she knew before there was a danger.Myself I think it is a little sluggish but you can't have everything.Will update again after return.Should be about 3,000 mile trip

AC Problem
By malayshah on 08/07/12 13:19 PM (PDT)

2012 Honda Pilot LX 4dr SUV 4WD (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

This is first summer for this car and I notice when AC in on and car is not moving there is some kind of moaning loud noise coming from the engine. I took my car to the dealer from where I purchased this vehicle. I was informed that Honda Motors is aware about this issue in 2012 Pilot. Till the date Honda Motors did not solve this problem. Please make a note that the noise is very loud when AC is on and car is not moving. This noise is very annoying. This loud noise giving me migraine every day. DO NOT BUY THIS VEHICLE UNTIL HONDA SOLVE THIS PROBLEM.

Great SUV
By wjallen101 on 08/03/12 05:22 AM (PDT)

2012 Honda Pilot EX-L 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I use SUV lightly because the Pilot is built on the Odyssey platform. That said, the Pilot is great. My choice was between the Grand Cherokee and Pilot. Before the test drive I was leaning towards the Cherokee. The Cherokee was clearly "more fun" to drive. But I determined that I didn't agree with the negative reviews about the Pilot and it's sluggish acceleration. The drive was still fun and acceleration more than enough. Overall, the Pilot made more sense for my family and I. The 4WD is really an AWD. But I don't do off-roading. I only wanted a SUV that we could take to the mountains under all weather conditions. Therefore the build, size, mpg, storage and tech features were perfect.

Road trip
By mcallen1309 on 08/02/12 18:02 PM (PDT)

2012 Honda Pilot Touring 4dr SUV w/Nav, Rear Entertainment (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Just got back from a 4100 mile road trip through 5 states with 3 kids my wife and I. The Pilot was roomy enough and handled very well. I was impressed having owned suburbans and excursions before. Gas mileage was good. I don't like the way audio controls are set up and that you can't dim the dashboard lights at night, Honda should change these things. The seats were uncomfortable after 10 hours of driving but I don't know many seats that would be. But if something can be done ,please change it. Great overall.

First Pilot,used to have Nissan
By twowhldoug on 06/12/12 13:54 PM (PDT)

2012 Honda Pilot EX-L 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Well we just bought a 2012 pilot.We traded in a 2010 Nissan Rogue(58,000miles).We wanted a little bigger car(2 grand kids)but the Pathfinder needs premium fuel.We decided to try a honda.We know going in the fuel milage will be not so good.Hoping for the honda reliability(the sun roof will not close properly)on the first day.And it started raining.Got it to close.The blue tooth paired with wifes phone effortlessly.WE will be putting more than 30,000miles on it the first year,so I will keep posting updates on how we like it and how it is doing.

Fun to drive
By piloteer123 on 05/13/12 11:24 AM (PDT)

2012 Honda Pilot Touring 4dr SUV 4WD w/Nav, Rear Entertainment (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

It's strange to hear so many bad consumer reviews at Edmunds. [non-permissible content removed] I have owned the first genration of Pilot and since upgraded to 2012 Pilot. The drive is much improved and build quality is excellent. I hear no such rattling, and noices. It's impressive to get 23 MPG on mostly high driving. The interior is impressive and great comfort at its price point. The most impressive feature is the new sound insulated cabin (added foam insulation all around) and the doors are completely seal for sound. With addition of active noice cancellation, you can carry a normal conversion at highway speeds.

55mph Humming
By baron1797 on 05/09/12 14:16 PM (PDT)

2012 Honda Pilot EX-L 4dr SUV w/Nav (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Well... where do I start. I have had a lot of issues with my 2012 Pilot... starting with the replacing the brakes, roters, tires by 12k. Yeah you heard me correct. I had to replace them because later found out at 18k that the front barrings were shot. Now at 26k... I have a LOUD humming noise which absolutely drives me bonkers. I hate driving my car... I changed my music from Coldplay to loud punk so I do not have to listen to that humming noise. This is my 4th Honda... this one has been my problem child.

Seems Like Honda's Getting Worse
By aecko on 04/16/12 11:46 AM (PDT)

2012 Honda Pilot EX-L 4dr SUV 4WD w/Rear Entertainment (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Honda used to mean reliability. Now not as much, maybe that is a better reason to get an Acura. My 2012 Pilot EXL with 70 miles (yes first week) is having an ignition problem. When you turn the key to turn the car on, it cranks then struggles and sometimes dies sometimes starts. The second time I try it typically starts. Not sure that the resolution will be, will post an update if possible.

Great pleasant surprise
By lapchole on 04/09/12 17:32 PM (PDT)

2012 Honda Pilot Touring 4dr SUV 4WD w/Nav, Rear Entertainment (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I was in the market for an SUV. Always had high end european SUV, with the exception of a Lincoln Navigator years ago, that ended up being a great car. Now I have a 2005 V-8 VW Touareg. Great driving, powerful, small, rough ride and not too comfortable for long travel. Transmission started to make strange noises and very rough downshifting. Time to get rid of it after 7 years. Shopped around...everything very expensive and I was after a Mercedes Benz GL 450: $ 70,000 + Found the Pilot Touring. Has all the technology and comfort I need for half the price of a MB. Great car. Enjoy the ride.... I chose this car after renting a basic Pilot in Peru to travel through the Andes Mountains

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2012 Honda Pilot in VA is:

$143 per month*