Used 2012 Honda Pilot Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2012 Honda Pilot - Consumer Reviews

2012 Honda Pilot

View reviews for a specific Pilot model:

2012 Pilot Touring 4x4
By ndjacks

2012 Honda Pilot Touring 4dr SUV 4WD w/Nav, Rear Entertainment (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

This is my second Pilot, I loved our 2005 model. But this review is for our 2012. As you research the 2012, many Pilot owners will complain about a vibration at various speeds, it is very annoying and I hate it. The dealer says the same thing to everyone that complains, it is normal, it is the variable cylinder management system. Maybe normal for Honda, but not something you should feel EVERYTIME you drive it, it should be seamless. I told a service writer to enter it on the service ticket, he did it by hand, guess Honda doesn't want proper documentation or a paper trail. Otherwise it's a great vehicle if you need to haul 8 people around.

Favorite Features

Very comfortable. Nice features

Suggested Improvements

Fix the variable cylinder management system vibration problem!

Hurray Pilot
By runeye

2012 Honda Pilot Touring 4dr SUV w/Nav, Rear Entertainment (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

The Pilot is a decent SUV. The acceleration is pretty good for an SUV though you really have to rev it if you want the full power of the startup torque. Highway driving is fun with this vehicle as the gear changes are smooth. Spacious interior with quality leather and the foldable backseat help since I carry heavy equipment with the work I do. I don't really use the entertainment much unless I have friedns with me. The Nav system works well and efficiently. My only issue with the vehicle was for a while, the Hold button on my key wasn't opening the trunk and I had to do it manually. Then a week later, it would work, and then stop working. But now it seems that problem is gone.

Junk
By kadamec

2012 Honda Pilot EX-L 4dr SUV 4WD (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

The Bad...This is easily the worst car I've ever owned. The active fuel management does not work properly. After many trips to the Honda dealer, they say that the car is OK and nothing is wrong. At 60 - 70 MPH the car vibrates and sounds like its gasping for air. An audible sound from the engine compartment is easily heard when the engine transitions from 6 cylinders to 4. Dump the tires too. They are so rock hard for milage purposes that after 25,000 the ride is rough.

Favorite Features

The good...Honda does do a nice job with the use of the interior. Tons of space

Suggested Improvements

Dump the active fuel management. I decided to trade in the car for a new car and the day after I made the deal, I received a class action lawsuit notice from California regarding Honda's with the same problems. For Two years, Honda told me that there were NO problems.

Mixed emotions
By pa350z2006

2012 Honda Pilot EX-L 4dr SUV 4WD (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

I have had my 2012 for 1.5 years now and 25,000 miles later. No major issues to date that left me stranded, getting the AC noise hopefully fixed this friday and warped rotors already. What is concerning is the vibration at 70mph. I would be cautious when buying this car, there is something going on here with the cylinder deactivation system. My car was fine till around 23k and then all of a sudden I have vibration coming from the front into the steering wheel and car. Its not alot but can tell its from the engine. Set the car at cruise 70mph on flat road, let it start to climb uphill slowly in eco mode and you will feel the vibration.

Favorite Features

Tons and tons of space. Love the storage area in the cargo floor. I keep all my towing supplies in there, a small tool set, an air pump and more! Tons of cup holders for long drives and also the spaces to put things is great. I had looked at a 4 runner and really prefered that style however it had no place to put anything. Seats I believe are more comfortable than the current highlander.

Suggested Improvements

Need armrests without edges, would be nice to have a nice padded arm rest. Better cruise control unit that keeps you at the set speed and does not vary up and down. Toyota's never did this. HD radio standard.

Great SUV but no where close do MDX
By brwndoggy

2012 Honda Pilot EX-L 4dr SUV w/Nav (3.5L 6cyl 5A)

Purchased 2012 EXl with Nav almost 2 years ago. Averaging 17mpg city, 21 hwy. Far less than rated but that's the case on all cars I've driven save my 2008 bmw 3 series that gets more than epa ratings... Drives well, have issues with front tires on lose ground given the power of the suv, tires do slip especially given the tires since they are for mpg vs handling. inside, appointments are great. love the radio, blue tooth syncs well with phones via usb or blutooth. standard audio package is good, did not see need for upgraded audio. rear camera - mixed blessing. use it only as general help, do not rely on it. use your mirrors and turn your head. sensors would be nice.

Favorite Features

=radio =fuel economy better than mdx it replaced. =seating for 8 is amazing pus room for luggage

Suggested Improvements

Keys - Never had i had keys fall apart. These are made out of cheep plastic and both cracked and one fell apart. Honda does not cover these poorly made item under warranty. Simply a joke that a $36k has a key made so cheaply . Breaking distance is not the best but it is a large SUV hdd radio search isn't that good. front wheel spin is annoying and think honda anti skid control could handle better.