Used 2001 Honda CR-V SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Honda Cr-v - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific CR-V model:

Most Helpful|
Honda engine issue
By Gloria

2001 Honda CR-V SUV LX AWD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

56,000 miles check engine light came on. Found codes P0301,302, and p1399. Search revealed Honda sb 03-038. Probable cause 1 or more cylinders have receded into the cylinder head. Corrective action-inspect the valve clearance, if necessary replace cylinder head. Car brought to fox Honda in auburn, NY they were unwilling to remove the cylinder head. Wanted to replace ignition coil and do tune up for $500.00+. Advised me I could continue driving until car wouldn't start without harming engine. At home removed cylinder head and found 2 valves out of adjustment. This is a documented problem w/these engines. Honda response - the dealer I went to made a mistake for $100 more I could have tried another...

Favorite Features

Originally purchased a Honda due to their good reputation...that was my favorite feature. After our experiences with this Honda I would not own another.

Suggested Improvements

Since this incident I've repeatedly heard Honda owners main complaint is the service they receive at Honda dealerships. Honda really should look into educating their employees and owning up to their mistakes. No responsibility was taken by Honda for the misdiagnosis or the problem with this engine.

Loving my 01 cr-v
By john

2001 Honda CR-V SUV EX AWD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

Here's my story. I bought this 01 crv in jan 2007. With 78,000 miles on it. I've traveled a lot in it. It now has 174,000 miles and its still running great. It is very comfortable for long trips and very great on gas. I'm so glad I bought this cr-v.

Favorite Features

gas mileage comfort and all the room it has. also like that is great in very snowy and rain conditions and was home safely. great 4x4.

Suggested Improvements

i would have to say none i'm very pleased with my 2001 cr-v.

I love my C-rv
By linzee09

2001 Honda CR-V SUV SE AWD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

I love this car it's cute and small it's all I need. Gets great gas mileage. I brough mine with 143,000 and it has 154,000 on it no problems. These cars will run forever IF you maintence them. If your buying one make sure they have had a vavle adjustment or run away from it. The vavles need adjusted every 30k dont go buy the book!!!!! This car is very nosiy and bumpy but guess what it's a honda not a lexus. Its also very underpowered but it doesnt borther me to much im not racing it so it doesn't matter. It's a great car I love it.

Favorite Features

Pretty much everything.

this car sucks
By dlemmon1

2001 Honda CR-V SUV SE AWD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

i bought my 01 cr-v with 130,000 miles on it, it now has 153,000 on it and the engine died, only had it 2 years bought new tires 3 months later engine dies clyinder 4 has no compression, blowback, could sieze up anytime i thought hondas were good cars but im sticking with a jeep

Suggested Improvements

egine!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Great Vehicle!
By amirjones78

2001 Honda CR-V SUV SE AWD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

I had a 2001 Honda Cr-V SE and it was the most dependable vehicle I have ever had. I got it in 2006 with 60,000 miles and drove it until 2011 with 185,000 miles. I never had any mechanical problems with the CR-V. Only wear and tear and routine maintenance. Actually, a large routine maintenance error I made is the reason I had to get rid of the vehicle. I somehow never thought to change the transmission fluid; ever. At 185,000 the transmission started to slip and I knew the transmission would cost more than the vehicle was worth so I got rid of it. 185,000 miles on the original fluid is pretty good! It would've lasted forever if I had ever changed the fluid.

Favorite Features

Great gas mileage Excellent AWD. I NEVER got stuck in any condition Dependable Nice looks (SE) Leather Seats Cargo floor that doubled as a table Plenty of storage Easy to customize. I added tons of accessories

Suggested Improvements

Larger engine (solved in later models) Seat heaters for the leather Window switches on the door, not the dash 5 speed transmission (solved in later models) Moonroof Standard on SE