Used 2014 Honda Civic Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2014 Honda Civic Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Civic model:

EXL Sedan great value
By adansereau

2014 Honda Civic Sedan EX-L 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl CVT)

This is my 74 car !! Went back to a Civic Exl from an Accord sport 2013 I guess I like smaller cars. I see some complain about gas mpg and this is all about your right foot. the Accord could range from low 20s to well over 40 as to the Civic, high 20s to 41 42 when being careful. Love the keyless entry , blind side, the car really has great features, and has a sporty feeling. Plain and simple this is a lot of car for the money !!!!

keyless entry, blind side camera and back up cam, quality, the space ship dash is like a video arcade !! The cvt actually works pretty darn good as well

don't change it you may screw it up

Solid Honda Engineering
By scottywood

2014 Honda Civic Sedan LX 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl CVT)

We got a great deal on a lease and traded in a Prius that needed a new hybrid battery pack. Honda has always been my wife's favorite. This is our third new Honda. All you do is change the oil and put in gas. You can't kill it. It just keeps going. We have the base LX, but it is still a beautiful car with excellent fit and finish. It doesn't lack any features that we miss. The interior is pretty with hard ugly plastics mostly banished and replaced with soft colorful materials. Gas mileage is great and we achieved the E.P.A. estimate of 39 m.p.g.on a long highway trip.

My wife loves the Dyno Pearl Blue color. Honda has somehow also maintained that same Honda feel that her 1987 Accord had. As far as safety, we walked away from a collision that totaled our last Honda.

The road noise on the highway is more than I expected. An actual mileage computer would be much more useful than the gimmicky L.E.D. indicator. The seat can get uncomfortable on long drives. Seats can be too hard and have too much side bolstering. Honda tries to sell you an extended warranty that should have come with the car in the first place. Shame on them. Watch out for dealer add ons. If they won't get rid of them, shop elsewhere.

Gas mileage and NAVI not as expected
By nicastm

2014 Honda Civic Sedan EX-L w/Navigation 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl CVT)

The gas mileage is definitely not as I expected. My 2006 Civic EX that I traded in had better gas mileage with over 100,000 miles on it. I have it set with ECON all the time and I feather the gas petal to a point that I almost get in an accident for slow acceleration, and still only get 34-36 MPG at best. I have yet to get over 380 miles on a tank full. I use to get 425 plus on my 2006 Civic with the same gas tank size. Also, the NAVI system is terrible. No spoken street names for a 2014 model???, are you kidding. Plus it is not very intuitive and can't make changes as you drive. Big waste of money. The only good thing is there is no other GPS device mounted to the dash.

Leather seats, seat warmer, Lane and rear camera, Transmission.

Get a better NAVI system or software upgrade. Improve gas mileage.

Best Compact for Commuting...go with EX Trim
By tgrit68

2014 Honda Civic Sedan EX 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl CVT)

Put aside the sporty and nifty handling of the Mazda3 and Ford Focus because what most commuters want for the 5-day grind is a smooth riding highway vehicle with low cockpit noise, and that's where the Honda Civic excels. I have been getting 33 mpg combined in city/highway driving or about 400 miles before the next refuel. On really long highway trips with the ECON button on, I have hit 40 mpg! The EX trim is where the value lies for commuters...rear disc brakes, auto headlights and "pothole friendly" 16 inch tires with beautiful alloy rims.

1. Rear Disc Brakes in EX trims give outstanding braking capabilities for safety 2. Keyless entry and push button start in EX trims--your keys will never leave your pocket or purse 3. Rearview camera...all cars should have these! 4. Automatic headlights in EX trim...never worry about when to turn those headlights on again I really recommend spending the extra $$ to get the EX trim over the LX for what's above, but not because of the silly touchscreen radio setup.

Would love to see Honda add heated mirrors to their lower trim packages for winter climates rather than having to purchase high end EX-L trim. The touch screen radio (as many reviewers have commented) is highly overrated but it does not diminish the value in the Civic EX. The stereo sounds nice and the microphones pick up your voice well, but Honda really needs to add buttons back to this radio, especially for volume control. Thankfully, there's a volume control on the steering wheel that I use exclusively and switch between Pandora and FM stations with. The touch screen is nothing like using a tablet computeand you will find yourself wiping your fingerprint smudges off of it weekly!

Best Compact by Far
By medford41

2014 Honda Civic Sedan EX 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl CVT)

Recently purchased a new 2014 Honda Civic EX Sedan. Test drove a Toyota Corolla, Mazda 3, and Kia Forte. No comparison to the Civic.

All the technology. (Honda Link, Lane Watch, Back up camera) The way the vehicle handles. Just enough sportiness to make it fun to drive, yet very comfortable.

The only thing I can think about is better tires. Came equipped with Continental Contiprocontacts.