2002 Honda Civic Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Civic model:
Perfect Car
By nutsnbolts1 on 03/20/11 19:19 PM (PDT)

2002 Honda Civic Sedan LX 4dr Sedan (1.7L 4cyl 5M)

2002 that I purchased for $2K, Had to replace the cyl Head due to a Bad Camshaft, Now I'm re-ringing the whole motor at 163K. This Honda was not properly maintained, Owned by Teenager that hardly changed the oil. so I'm replacing all bearing, re-honing the Cylinders, The best part...I don't have to remove the engine, wish all cars where like this, makes my life very easy, Had it all torn down to the pistons less than 3Hours. Used Head pulled at 43k $250 Piston Rings, Rod Bearings, Head Gasket, Timing Belt, Tensioner, Waterpump $230. New Clutch $125. The Only other car I can rebuild as fast and cheap is my good ole Chevy 350. Love cars with simplicity in mind, everything else is wast a time.

Hold on to one if you can
By indylta on 01/30/11 05:58 AM (PST)

2002 Honda Civic Sedan LX 4dr Sedan (1.7L 4cyl 5M)

Great car. I had 130k on mine when some very poor driver ran into me and totalled it. Man, I know I had another 150k to get out of it. It is noisy at high speeds, but show me a car in its class that isn't. I drive 50% highway and averaged 37 mpg over the life of the car. I'm 5-11 with longer legs and didn't have comfort issues. My friend who is 6-5 did. If you want a reliable, efficient car that will last you until your tired of driving it and then some, stick with the Honda. I wouldn't recommend it if you are bothered by noise at >80mph (mostly wind).

You Can't Go Wrong
By Nick Hayes on 08/24/10 19:11 PM (PDT)

2002 Honda Civic Sedan LX 4dr Sedan (1.7L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my Civic from a Honda dealership as a certified used car, with around 48k. Now with 90k, I am still surprised at its complete reliability and lack of problems. My civic was hit in a parking lot, and I hit a deer last summer, and not only did it hold up well but it has returned to its original form. Regular oil changes and a set of tires, and this car is easily my best investment. I have the constant itch for a sports car, but know that giving up my civic is the wrong idea.

Best 300,000 miles ever
By jhiscivic on 11/12/09 19:23 PM (PST)

2002 Honda Civic Sedan LX 4dr Sedan (1.7L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my civic brand new and will never sell. It has 299,000 miles today and have only replaced front pads, tires, and two alternators. No scheduled maintenance or tune-ups ever done. Change the oil with standard oil every 10,000 miles. Car has been a dream come true. Just wish the new ones were not so over priced.

Once Reliable... Now Not So Sure...
By Sean on 07/15/09 09:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Honda Civic Sedan LX 4dr Sedan (1.7L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car from my sister over 5 years ago (she bought it brand new). I've always been on time with the scheduled maintenance and haven't had any huge repairs other than the timing belt and water pump combo repair that cost about $1400. But NOW... some days when it starts, it will idle very rough and can barely climb hills. The engine seems to be misfiring even when I drive during any driving conditions. Brought it to the local shop and they can't find anything wrong. I feel very betrayed by my Civic just because I've always done the maintenance on time. Changed the spark plugs and ignition coils and still runs like garbage.

LOVIN' My Civic
By HappyHondaOwner on 06/08/09 12:24 PM (PDT)

2002 Honda Civic Sedan LX 4dr Sedan (1.7L 4cyl 5M)

Purchased brand new, not a single repair. Still has original brake pads! Fantastic gas mileage, very fun to drive. Had to get aftermarket sound system as the factory version wasn't very good in 02. Planning to drive for 10 more years!

02 Civic, best for this gas price
By HondaGuy on 07/03/08 07:13 AM (PDT)

2002 Honda Civic Sedan LX 4dr Sedan (1.7L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car almost 2yrs back, and driving 2000 miles a month on an average. And it meets my first criteria, be fuel economic. I was getting 33-34 mpg couple of months back, and now after the raise in gas prices I try to drive it efficiently and which gives me a 40-42 mpg. I have an ideal drive to work, in an almost empty highway. I haven't put much money on it, but never missed any regular maintenance appointments.

love my honda
By grj on 05/01/08 20:37 PM (PDT)

2002 Honda Civic Sedan LX 4dr Sedan (1.7L 4cyl 5M)

I love this car. I didn't even do maintenance for 2 years because I didn't know what to do! Now I get regular filter changes/tires/oil/and it needed some transmission fluid when I noticed it made a weird squeaking noise. Read the user manual would be my advice, to avoid costly mechanical charges. DO change air filters a lot (every 3 oil changes), it improves the fuel economy. I only had to change the battery one time, and I've had to jump start it many (when it was the old battery) because I kept leaving the lights on. The factory battery lasted 5 years which is really quite something!.

Reliable and comfortable
By Happy customer on 03/20/08 09:20 AM (PDT)

2002 Honda Civic Sedan LX 4dr Sedan (1.7L 4cyl 5M)

This is a great car. It rides smooth and I haven't had any large repair bills to date. I've had this car 4 years and all I've had to replace is the tires and regular oil changes. I'm very happy with the gas mileage. I have had many compliments on this car from friends to mechanics. This is a great road trip car. I've taken it to a bunch of different States and even out of the Country.

Honda Civic 2002
By Pipo on 08/31/07 08:42 AM (PDT)

2002 Honda Civic Sedan LX 4dr Sedan (1.7L 4cyl 5M)

Overall, it's OK. However, after 100k miles, the transmission broke down. Without any warning. I don't know why. Price of parts are too expensive.