Used 2005 Ford Mustang Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Ford Mustang - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Mustang model:

Pony at 3 1/2 years
By Robert

2005 Ford Mustang GT Deluxe 2dr Coupe (4.6L 8cyl 5M)

As soon as the new Mustangs hit the market in 2004, I knew I had to have one. I found a GT with the premium equipment package just the way I wanted it and at a good price (I was lucky) and took it home in December 2004. The car is now three and a half years old with about 15,000 miles on the odometer. I really enjoy driving the Mustang, and love the looks. Being an early build unit (built on October 4, 2004) it did have many of the bugs and issues the first batch suffered from, including issues with the radio, fuel tank, battery, alternator, and front end suspension. All repairs were covered by the warranty.

Power, feel, sound, style.

The Shaker 500 sound system is balky and continues to give me problems. Find another sound system for the future Mustangs.

Fun and, so far, reliable
By TCSoff

2005 Ford Mustang GT Deluxe 2dr Convertible (4.6L 8cyl 5M)

Bought with 7k miles, now at 26k, no major problems, just the same tail lamp keeps burning out. All-city driving yields terrible gas mileage, but cruising on hwy at 70mph, I get 28mpg easy. Installed AirAid conical air filter which made huge difference in throttle response, power and exhaust note. In 2nd gear at 3000 rpm, watch out! Very fast. Full-size luggage can fit in trunk, something most convertibles can't boast. Stereo is amazingly powerful, even on hwy w/roof down. Brakes could be better. Bumpy roads reveal rattles and looseness mainly in windows & roof. But for combo of V8 power, stick-shift control, topless motoring, mega- style and storage space, there's no competition at all.

Power, styling, Shaker 500 sound, vast aftermarket

Stereo head unit very buggy w/downright stupid programming. Steering wheel lacks support at 2 and 10 o'clock positions.

Fun to Drive Stang
By Andy

2005 Ford Mustang Deluxe 2dr Convertible (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

My Legend Lime V6 convertible has been a wonderful experience. I bought it instead of a motorcycle due to 2 little ones at home because it has a back seat. I drove it to Illinois by myself from Minnesota the first week I bought it and put the cruise on with the top down and tunes cranked. I haven't had one repair. It is hands down the best value for a sports car! I had 2 69 Stangs growing up and this one hasn't let me down for performance!

Great looking exterior! The top is easy to put down at stoplights. The engine management during shifting is smooth.

A boring interior even with the premium package. I need to add aftermarket upgrades. Truck is good sized but very limited access.

One Bad Pony
By Eduardo

2005 Ford Mustang GT Deluxe 2dr Coupe (4.6L 8cyl 5M)

What can i said i'm a Ford lover. This is my Mustang #5 and all I got to say that is a beast on the road. Awesome performance, body design, nice retro dashboard. Bottom line Ford did it again, great work! My only suggestion is the suspension should be dropped at least 1.5 inches. Car needs to be able to handle better in curves.

HP, body style, dashboard, TCS, awesome punch when driving a bit fast.

Lower suspenssion.

Sweet Ride
By sandtrap

2005 Ford Mustang Deluxe 2dr Convertible (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

I'm 70 yrs old and this is the car I have been waiting for. So much fun to drive, Mine is dark candy apple red with parchment top. Always good comments. Boy, could I have gotten into a lot trouble if I had something like this in school.

Where do I start? Great looks inside and out, Shaker 500 system, top down.

Put the speedometer in the middle of the dash. The way it is now my hand and arm block it out.