Used 2005 Ford Mustang Consumer Reviews - 491 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Ford Mustang - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Mustang model:

All American Retro
By K Burns

2005 Ford Mustang Deluxe 2dr Convertible (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

The '05 Mustang convertible in dark red with tan leather and premium interior is a fun to drive beautiful all American "head turner". It handles and sounds great (for a V6) and its classic looks are terrific (I grew up in Detroit in the '70s, so I guess I am the target audience for the design, and they hit the target)

Interior and exterior styling. Decent sound and performance for a V6. Convertible fun. Using the "SpeedVol" setting for stereo when the top is down to compensate for road noise

The plastic automatic shifter looks like a cheap toy and is not up to par with the rest of the interior design. Clunky rattle in front end (Detroit retro taken too far) CD changer operation. Give the V6 at least pseudo dual exhaust

Pony at 3 1/2 years
By Robert

2005 Ford Mustang GT Deluxe 2dr Coupe (4.6L 8cyl 5M)

As soon as the new Mustangs hit the market in 2004, I knew I had to have one. I found a GT with the premium equipment package just the way I wanted it and at a good price (I was lucky) and took it home in December 2004. The car is now three and a half years old with about 15,000 miles on the odometer. I really enjoy driving the Mustang, and love the looks. Being an early build unit (built on October 4, 2004) it did have many of the bugs and issues the first batch suffered from, including issues with the radio, fuel tank, battery, alternator, and front end suspension. All repairs were covered by the warranty.

Power, feel, sound, style.

The Shaker 500 sound system is balky and continues to give me problems. Find another sound system for the future Mustangs.

Fun and, so far, reliable
By TCSoff

2005 Ford Mustang GT Deluxe 2dr Convertible (4.6L 8cyl 5M)

Bought with 7k miles, now at 26k, no major problems, just the same tail lamp keeps burning out. All-city driving yields terrible gas mileage, but cruising on hwy at 70mph, I get 28mpg easy. Installed AirAid conical air filter which made huge difference in throttle response, power and exhaust note. In 2nd gear at 3000 rpm, watch out! Very fast. Full-size luggage can fit in trunk, something most convertibles can't boast. Stereo is amazingly powerful, even on hwy w/roof down. Brakes could be better. Bumpy roads reveal rattles and looseness mainly in windows & roof. But for combo of V8 power, stick-shift control, topless motoring, mega- style and storage space, there's no competition at all.

Power, styling, Shaker 500 sound, vast aftermarket

Stereo head unit very buggy w/downright stupid programming. Steering wheel lacks support at 2 and 10 o'clock positions.

Fun to Drive Stang
By Andy

2005 Ford Mustang Deluxe 2dr Convertible (4.0L 6cyl 5M)

My Legend Lime V6 convertible has been a wonderful experience. I bought it instead of a motorcycle due to 2 little ones at home because it has a back seat. I drove it to Illinois by myself from Minnesota the first week I bought it and put the cruise on with the top down and tunes cranked. I haven't had one repair. It is hands down the best value for a sports car! I had 2 69 Stangs growing up and this one hasn't let me down for performance!

Great looking exterior! The top is easy to put down at stoplights. The engine management during shifting is smooth.

A boring interior even with the premium package. I need to add aftermarket upgrades. Truck is good sized but very limited access.

One Bad Pony
By Eduardo

2005 Ford Mustang GT Deluxe 2dr Coupe (4.6L 8cyl 5M)

What can i said i'm a Ford lover. This is my Mustang #5 and all I got to say that is a beast on the road. Awesome performance, body design, nice retro dashboard. Bottom line Ford did it again, great work! My only suggestion is the suspension should be dropped at least 1.5 inches. Car needs to be able to handle better in curves.

HP, body style, dashboard, TCS, awesome punch when driving a bit fast.

Lower suspenssion.