$1000 for a tune up - no joke
By nightynight on
2006 Ford F-150 XLT 4dr SuperCab Styleside 6.5 ft. SB (4.6L 8cyl 4A)
If you are thinking about buying an 06 F-150, I highly recommend going to any auto shop and asking how much it will be for a tune up. The problem is the spark plugs break off when tried to be removed. So did Ford do a recall? Nope. They made a special tool that shops have to buy to help decrease the chances of breakage. BS!!! Does the tool work? Sometimes yes, sometimes no. Half of mine broke even after they were soaked overnight. My bill? $1000!!! Very disappointed in Ford.
By silver30
on 06/20/14 14:09 PM (PDT)

True, the list price alone for the spark plugs is $23.00 each. I am lucky to work for a garage, the boss was aware of the problem of these breaking, I changed my plugs out at 50k miles and we made sure the engine was warm before attempting to remove any plugs. Boss said probably a good thing I changed them out before the recommended time, would of been much more difficult if I had waited. Only paid about $290.00 for my tune up, he charged 2 hrs labor at $95.00/hr and his cost of the plugs which was a little under $10.00 a piece. The 2 hrs labor was a gift, it took our most experienced mechanic actually a little longer then that. Best advise, change the plugs EARLY, don't wait til you hit 70k or higher. And use a good shop.