2013 Ford Explorer Consumer Review: Review after 9 months of owner

2013 Ford Explorer - Consumer Review

2013 Ford Explorer

XLT 4dr SUV (3.5L V6 FFV AWD 6-speed Automatic)

Review after 9 months of ownership
By missfc on

2013 Ford Explorer XLT 4dr SUV AWD (3.5L 6cyl 6A)

My 1st Ford ever, I'm a 40 yr old woman, driving all my life. What I hate about the Explorer: the harsh ride on bumps when you're going over 20mph. It's a soft ride at very low speeds. Also the insulation is insufficient and you hear every pothole very loudly inside the cabin almost like a wheel fell off or something. I also HATE the rattling, squeaking, noises it makes from the dashboard and console area at only 8,000 miles. I only drive on roads, can't imagine how it will fall apart if I actually went off roading.
Also, on a cold day, the ignition refused to turn on when leaving from a grocery store one day. Called roadside assistance. Car hates cold, makes weird noises till it warms up.

White XLT AWD V6 in NJ. I love the large/wide size and design of my Explorer and love the AWD with terrain dial, works really great in the snow. Gives you more confidence driving in bad weather. So, that is THE one biggest advantage of owning this vehicle. Also like Leather Package,Sync,MFT, Power Liftgate, Back up camera with sensors and color coded back-up lines on screen. I also love the light-up keypad on the door, so you can enter keyless by punching in the code.

Poor quality for a car that costs $39k. My first and last Ford. I will probably go for an Acadia or Durango once this lease runs out. Everybody pretty much offers the same features and technology now, so there's really nothing outstanding about a Ford over the competition. Tight build quality is extremely important. The whole point in buying an SUV/Crossover is a vehicle that is rugged enough in all temperatures and all road conditions. This Explorer simply is not solid enough to hold up after going over potholes, with all the rattles and squeaks it has quickly developed. Also, needs Daytime Running Lights for safety.

Are you the author of this review?

Update Your Review