2003 Ford Explorer Consumer Review: Tranny Nightmare

2003 Ford Explorer - Consumer Review

XLT 4dr SUV (4.0L V6 FFV 4x4 5-speed Automatic)

Tranny Nightmare
By demo_derby on

2003 Ford Explorer XLT 4WD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Flashing OD light and service engine soon come on at 62K miles while my son is driving to prom. Dealer makes us wait 4 days to get in the shop. They have it all day, never call, when I call them they ask to call back in a few minutes. They claim lots of transmission diagnostic codes (though when I pick up vehicle service engine light is still on and no sign that anyone tested anything). They want 4000 to replace transmission plus tell me I have a frozen caliper. I take care home, pull front wheels, caliper isn't frozen but metal on metal on inside of brakes (they checked 2K miles back and said no issue). Car still going with bad tranny for now, I replaced the brakes, no more Fords.

Favorite Features

Car is comfortable and has tons of room.

Suggested Improvements

Handles poorly in snow, boaty on it's best day, poor visibility at night without turning on fog lamps, tranny issues, passenger side tire wear is bad (was also in the Mazda Navajo we used to own, another Ford mess). Brakes always an issue, rotors constantly warping. We have low mileage on this thing and gave it to my new driver son after tranny issues to let him drive it into the ground. Ford needs to own up to their transmission problems and make good with their customers or they will have none.