2003 Ford Explorer Consumer Review: Best SUV I've ever owned

2003 Ford Explorer - Consumer Review

2003 Ford Explorer

XLT 4dr SUV (4.0L V6 FFV AWD 5-speed Automatic)

Best SUV I've ever owned
By Jon Heath on

2003 Ford Explorer XLT AWD 4dr SUV (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I bought this vehicle in 05 with 17k,we now have almost 80k on this vehicle and have only replaced the tires once and the rear brakes once. I was nervous about buying a Ford but would now buy one again.It is costly regarding gas but most SUV's are and the reliability more than makes up for the fuel cost. This vehicle is very utilitarian for us and we treat it more like a truck than a SUV. I haul everything in it and at times can be pretty rough on it, it takes it all in stride. Also the AWD makes this thing a tank in the winter,and we live in the East. Makes me feel safe when my wife and kids are in it. This is a daily driver for us and we have taken many road trips in it with no problems.

Relaibility, looks performance, plenty of engine power we have the V6, very smooth ride on the highway, lots of space, can haul a ton of stuff.

Could be a little more comfortable to drive. Wish I had gotten the leather we have the most basic model with AWD but, less stuff to go wrong. Does take a second for the transmission to engage when shifting, but has been that way for 60k and has never changed nor been a maintenance problem.

Are you the author of this review?

Update Your Review