High style. Zippy and Fun to Drive
By albyg on
2013 Ford Escape SEL 4dr SUV AWD (1.6L 4cyl Turbo 6A)
I recently bought a 2013 Escape SEL with 13,900 miles on it. We have only had it for a week, so I don't have a lot of experience with it yet. But, the time I have had driving it has been rewarding. Compared to the archaic, Jeep Cherokee Limited which it replaced, it is a little larger, yet drives like a sports car. The 1.6 liter EcoBoost is powerful and responsive. The handling of this little SUV is really nice, the steering is quick and extremely responsive while the suspension provides a firm, nimble ride. The brakes are very good, although touchy - requiring a light, controlled foot. Our average gas mileage, for mixed city-highway is 26MPG, but includes 2 70 mile trips.
Favorite Features
Interior and exterior styling is very nice. Engine is powerful and responsive. 4 wheel drive. Handles very well. Great suspension, wide sporty tires. Responsive brakes. Interior lighting is pretty amazing with all the different colors we can choose. Spacious cargo area, fits our dog's large kennel easily with room to spare. Dual climate control and seat warmers are a plus. The Ford-Sync features are over the top for this 58 year old reviewer and quite wonderous. I cannot comment on this amenity as of yet; there is much to learn. One has to be careful to pay attention to the road and not get wrapped up with all the technological foo-fa-doo; or so my wife keeps telling me.
Suggested Improvements
Some of the interior components seem a little cheap, but for the most part are pretty luxurious. Rear view is limited. This issue has been taken care of in the 2014 models with rear view and side view alert sensors. I would give five stars but need to see how it holds up over time.
By albyg
on 03/07/14 15:39 PM (PST)

One more note, we are averaging over 24 MPG for our every day driving which is mixed city and highway. I find this to be very good.

By albyg
on 03/07/14 15:37 PM (PST)

To date the only issue we have had with the Escape is the Ford Sync system which went out completely. They installed a new one at no charge, but it is having issues. They are replacing the touch screen next.

By albyg
on 04/29/14 18:40 PM (PDT)

Update on the Ford Sync issue. After going back to the dealer a third time, the first time to replace the Sync unit, the second time being to replace the touch screen, they determined the program to be corrupt and reinstalled it completely which took 1-1/2 days. They offered a loaner car but I didn't need one...now it's 100% and working as it should. Other than this hic-cup we are loving the Escape! Especially the 25MPG we're getting for an all around mixed city/highway average. No trips yet, so cannot attest to highway MPG.