2006 Ford Escape - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Escape model:
Pleased as punch!
By 06EscapeOwnerGA on 01/23/06 09:33 AM (PST)

2006 Ford Escape XLS 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

I have only had one problem with my 2006 Escape XLS. The rear window wiper quit working after an ice storm. I'm sure when I tried to use it, it was frozen and the motor burned out. But, thanks to Ford's warranty plan (5 years, 75,000 miles); I'm covered bumper to bumper! I love my new vehicle and I got an outstanding deal. $17,299! For any SUV that is brand new fresh off the truck, with 3 miles on it that's a great deal. Dealer also put a new set of tires on for free when a fault spot was detected on the right front tire! Also, while they were doing that, the GM let us take an '06 Fusion and bought our lunch!

'06 Escape XLT
By dakota on 01/22/06 11:48 AM (PST)

2006 Ford Escape XLT Sport 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

The convenience of the 6 disc in dash CD is great. Plenty of interior room for hauling or keeping passengers comfy. The acceleration is normal even when put into passing mode. The view out the windshield is superb but because of the 3 headrests in the back, viewing behind you can be a little work. Overall I'm very pleased with the '06 Escape XLT and have recommended it others.

General
By Arthur Burford on 01/19/06 11:13 AM (PST)

2006 Ford Escape XLT 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

An adequate vehicle which serves my needs. I wouldn't consider it exceptional, but I think it compares favorably with other vehicles in its class.This vehicle came equipped with running boards, a feature I would have insisted upon. However, I find the running boards to be a detriment to entering and exiting the vehicle ... for children maybe? Also, the cup holders are behind the console shift lever -- between the lever and the front storage compartment, making them extremely difficult to use. Speedometer markings are difficult to read. Vehicle has on a couple of occasions gone into passing gear arbitrarily.

Love It!
By Andrew on 01/13/06 14:42 PM (PST)

2006 Ford Escape XLT 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I have driven an Explorer XLS for 6 years and decided to get something with more gas economy. I have to admit that the ride is superb compared to the '00 Explorer. The size is just right for a car like drive but has dig in and go capability of an SUV. The interior although plain to some, is perfect for me as too much "distraction" stuff is bothersome. I absolutely love it and can't think of a reason why I didn't buy one sooner than I did.

Driving the Canadian Jungle!
By Cris on 01/05/06 09:53 AM (PST)

2006 Ford Escape Limited 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

We bought our 2006 Limited Escape about a month ago. It handles great and I experience no problems driving on snow and ice - a lot different than the little car I had! It is very responsive and has all the luxury we wanted. We took it on holidays and put 2500 kms on it with no troubles. If you are looking for a small SUV that is comfortable to drive (and an easy transition from a small vehicle) this is the one. I definitely appreciate the safe feeling I have when driving it!

Uncomfortable Seats/Poor Gas Mileage
By Christine on 12/31/05 12:28 PM (PST)

2006 Ford Escape Limited 4dr SUV AWD (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I have been driving my Escape for 6 months and I just can't escape the fact that the seats are hard as rocks and are very uncomfortable. Ford needs to go back to the drawing board and take some hints from other manufacturers (Honda, Volvo). The only saving grace is that I'm in my vehicle for a few minutes a day (2 mile commute). Trips of an hour or more and I'm miserable. Just for the record I bought a Limited with every option (premium leather seats w/ heat). The gas mileage is poor (onboard computer says I'm getting 15.4 mpg). I have to use Premium gas to keep engine from pinging after working with the dealer. After only 6 months I will probably start looking for something else.

The Best
By pknox on 12/29/05 09:38 AM (PST)

2006 Ford Escape XLS 4dr SUV AWD (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

Having driven a larger SUV with an automatic transmission and larger engine, I much prefer the manual transmission Escape for its maneuverability, size, comfort, and fun. The gas/mileage is also a huge plus. Also having owned Fords, I only hope this automobile lives up to my previous experience with Ford quality.

disappointed
By Nancy on 12/19/05 17:27 PM (PST)

2006 Ford Escape XLT Sport 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

My Escape needed major repairs at 55 miles (cylinder head and gasket) and again at 3,300 (serpentine belt, pulley and bearings) . I do not like the gear transition at low speeds (between 2-3 RPM's), very jerky and a big clank when put into reverse at even a small incline.

LOVE IT
By BUFFYS45CAL on 12/13/05 23:17 PM (PST)

2006 Ford Escape XLS 4dr SUV AWD (2.3L 4cyl 4A)

I love my Escape. It was a great alternative to the gas hog Explorer. It does great in extreme conditions and I get about 280 miles per tank of gas. An all round great buy for your money.

Great 4WD capabilities and fuel economy
By IT Guy on 12/09/05 15:52 PM (PST)

2006 Ford Escape XLS 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

This SUV drives great compared to every other one I've driven. Love the fuel economy and the engine has a lot of power for a small inline-4. Lots of interior room for large people (compared to other compact SUVs). Automatically engaged 4WD feels different, but has proven reliable. The only real issue I have is with the initial quality of the Escape. I've run into 3 different issues that needed to be addressed by the dealership, but they fixed them without charge. In retrospect, two of those were fairly subtle "personal annoyances". Overall I'm extremely satisfied.

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.