Used 2006 Ford Escape XLS Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Ford Escape - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Escape model:

Very Thrilled And Pleasently Supprised
By brian182

2006 Ford Escape XLS 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

I purchased my 06' Escape about 8 months ago and couldn't be more pleased. A car salesman friend of mine let me drive an automatic trans. xls and it was OK. When I drove the 5 speed manual though....look out! Very peppy / zippy. I weigh a little over 200 lbs. and this thing will accelerate very nicely in 5th gear from about 40 mph. Zippy to the degree that you don't have to downshift. It seems that 152hp 4cyl is plenty for the Escape. Of course if you have something against shifting then you want the xlt auto 6cyl. Some have complained that the exhaust sounds a bit unrefined- hogwash. Engine compartment well layed out- very easy to get at the oil filter for you do it yoursefers. Very happy.

Favorite Features

1. Oil filter right up front - super easy to get at 2. Plenty of power without having to downshift 3. Super mileage 26 combined cty/hwy 32 hwy. 4. Very maneuverable / handles respectably 5. All the seats fold down for cargo 6. Fun to drive

Suggested Improvements

1. Capet in cargo area needs more refinement in keeping it secured 2. Seats stain easily -need Scotchguard or more stain resistant fabric

Why didn't I buy one sooner?
By Blue Beauty

2006 Ford Escape XLS 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

I have been driving a Chevy Silverado 4x4 wit 6 inch lift and 36 inch mud tires that averaged 9-11 mpg on the highway. after years of that I decided to buy an Escape XLS and have been 100% satisfied with it. The 4 cylinder with the five speed manual tranny actually as decent acceleration and its fuel mileage is amazing. Everything about the macine is easy to use and functions very well.

Favorite Features

Easy and user friendly controls, flawless five speed manual transmission, very nice sound system, handles like a car.

Suggested Improvements

The stock tires aren't that great. I changed mine out wit a set of all seasons.

Stealth Ford Escape
By J.P.

2006 Ford Escape XLS 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

I had driven the Mariner & Escape, & seriously considered the Escape. 3 versions of this platform are manufactured in Kansas City, the 3rd being the Mazda Tribute. Use Edmunds & compare these two vehicles before you buy. They are 95% identical but those few percentage points really could make a difference for you as it did for me. I'm a Ford fan, I really like this vehicle & I got a base unit, which had everything I wanted, out the door for $14,900. I'm very pleased!

Favorite Features

Mazda engine, transmission & all other differences to the XLS, but still 95% Ford. Well done!

Suggested Improvements

This vehicle has all I was looking for.

Cheap Thrills
By coach2hockey

2006 Ford Escape XLS 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

I picked up a base model Escape for $15,400 before tax and title and couldn't be more satisfied. I have a city/highway commute and average 29+mpg. Plenty of room in the back for hockey equipment and the split foldown seat allows for the sticks to lay flat without using up the whole second row of seating. For a 4 cylinder there is decent acceleration even with the A/C running. Why would anyone buy a car when they can get one of these?

Favorite Features

Body side panels in matte finish makes for easy wipe down cleaning and helps protect against door dings. Even without privacy glass the windows appear to have tinting.

Suggested Improvements

Add floor mats to the base model.

A good, economical SUV to drive
By atg61

2006 Ford Escape XLS 4dr SUV (2.3L 4cyl 5M)

A good, economical SUV to drive and it serves most purposes. Although not a very powerful engine (4 cylinder) it easily makes up for it in fuel economy. Because of its size, it is nimble and can squeeze in spots better than your average SUV yet still is able to hold/transport almost the same amount as bigger SUVs without giving up a lot of space. The base XLS model is no frills but has options that you would not expect. A good value over all and I am quite satisfied.

Favorite Features

Voluminous room with rear seats folded down. 4WD.

Suggested Improvements

Some minor extra amenities found in other small SUVs.