Used 2003 Ford Escape XLT Popular 2 SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Ford Escape SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Escape model:

Escape Fits Our Needs
By John E. Baker

2003 Ford Escape SUV XLT Popular 2 Fwd 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

We looked at a number of "mini-SUVs." The Ford Escape fit our needs best. It's the right size (not too big and not too small), we're confident that it will be safe and reliable, and it's fun to drive.

Appearance Safety (ABS and Side Air Bags)

Standard side air bags Rubber floor and cargo area mats

LOVE MY ESCAPE
By JANET

2003 Ford Escape SUV XLT Popular 2 Fwd 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I THINK THE ESCAPE IS THE PERFECT SUV. I ENJOY THE RIDE AS IT IS SMOOTH AND COMFORTABLE. IT DOES NOT FEEL LIKE A TRUCK, EVEN THOUGH I HAVE THE BENEFITS OF HAVING A TRUCK CAPACITY. MY PASSENGERS STATE THAT THE BACK SEAT IS ROOMY AND COMFORTABLE FOR THEM.

ON MY ESCAPE I HAVE THE SIDE STEP RUNNER AND I THINK IT MAKES THE VEHICLE LOOK MORE SPORTY AND SINCE I AM SHORT IT GIVES ME THAT EXTRA BOOST TO STEP INTO THE VEHICLE.

Ford Escape
By thecloser4

2003 Ford Escape SUV XLT Popular 2 Fwd 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

This so far has been a great vehicle. would have liked to see perhaps a little more comfort in drivers seat.

a little disappointed
By MarkfromLA

2003 Ford Escape SUV XLT Popular 2 Fwd 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

The first week I had to return it because the radiator had a hole in it from the factory. Nine months later, at 12,000 miles, a wheel bearing went out. A little later, someone ran a redlight and wrecked the vehicle. It took 3 weeks to fix because Ford was VERY slow in getting replacement parts to the body shop. This vehicle has cost me a huge loss of time because of problems Ford could easily solve. Based on my experience with this vehicle, I won't buy another Ford.

It looks very attractive and runs well.

Better comfort for long trips. Paint that doesn't chip so easily. Use better quality parts from the factory. Improve speed of supplying replacement parts.

Lovin it so far!
By Escaping with it

2003 Ford Escape SUV XLT Popular 2 Fwd 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I've had it only a few weeks, but I'm loving it. No problems so far. Great power, handling, space etc for a small SUV. Mom has a Tribute ES-AWD, and I think the Ford is quicker and handles better (feels much lighter w/o the AWD). Also, the 02 Escape gear shifter is not in the way of the radio (as it does in the 01 Tribute)!! My gas mileage so far has been a little dissapointing, though.

V6, smooth shifting, responsive transmission, 6-disc CD changer, space, and definately the price

A recirculation selection for the ventilation, to block unwanted exhaust fumes from the cars in front. Map lights should be standard.