Used 2003 Ford Escape XLT Popular 2 SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Ford Escape - Consumer Reviews

2003 Ford Escape SUV

View reviews for a specific Escape model:

Most Helpful|
LOVE MY ESCAPE
By JANET

2003 Ford Escape SUV XLT Popular 2 Fwd 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I THINK THE ESCAPE IS THE PERFECT SUV. I ENJOY THE RIDE AS IT IS SMOOTH AND COMFORTABLE. IT DOES NOT FEEL LIKE A TRUCK, EVEN THOUGH I HAVE THE BENEFITS OF HAVING A TRUCK CAPACITY. MY PASSENGERS STATE THAT THE BACK SEAT IS ROOMY AND COMFORTABLE FOR THEM.

Favorite Features

ON MY ESCAPE I HAVE THE SIDE STEP RUNNER AND I THINK IT MAKES THE VEHICLE LOOK MORE SPORTY AND SINCE I AM SHORT IT GIVES ME THAT EXTRA BOOST TO STEP INTO THE VEHICLE.

Great Little SUV
By ca_giraffe

2003 Ford Escape SUV XLT Popular 2 Fwd 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I purchased my red Escape from Barber Ford in Ventura, CA. It is the XLT, Popular 2, 2WD. It also has a sunroof and sidestep bars. I had rented an Escape prior to purchasing my own, and found the car to be affordable, fun, and practical. I have driven my Escape 12K miles in the past three months, and it has performed well. I am 6' 1", and appreciate the power driver's seat. I have not had any problems with my car, and would recommend it to others.

Favorite Features

The sunroof is larger than I've seen on other small SUVs. The 6-CD changer is a nice standard feature as well. My other favorites include the rear cupholders (my 5-year-old son can reach them from his carseat) and the center console.

Suggested Improvements

I would like to see larger side mirrors and better speakers (should have gotten the MACH sound system).

Wonderful little SUV.
By fun to drive

2003 Ford Escape SUV XLT Popular 2 Fwd 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

With 10K miles on it, my wife and I are loving our new Escape: the combination of small size outside and great interior space, the fun driving experience, the "Mach" radio upgrade, etc. Build quality is excellent - no glitches at all. Ride is a good mix of car and truck -- not nearly as tippy as the little Toyota and Honda we tested. My only complaint is my own fault -- I ordered 2 wheel drive, not 4 wheel. The Escape can really accelerate quickly from a stand-still, but with only 2 wheels to transfer the power to the ground, I can't enjoy this as much as I would like.

Favorite Features

Fun ride, acceleration, build quality.

Suggested Improvements

None really. None.

My Company Vehicle
By repcritter

2003 Ford Escape SUV XLT Popular 2 Fwd 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

I recieved this vehicle as a company lease and I LOVE It. As a pharmaceutical rep and travel a lot and need plenty of space for samples and promos. My vehicle has to be comfortable and spacious. While my Escape is not huge, it is sufficient for my needs and the driver's seat fits me well. My Escape has leather interior and 6 CD stereo and power seat. The visibilty is great due to the elevated chasis and well located windows. All controls are well within reach and the ride is not at all like a truck. My kids think it is SPORTY! and love to ride in it. Overall, the quality of my Escape is superior to all of my previous company vehicles.

Favorite Features

All are my favorite, my escape is the total package......

Brake for an Escape !
By Taticat

2003 Ford Escape SUV XLT Popular 2 Fwd 4dr SUV (3.0L 6cyl 4A)

This is a fun and economic vehicle. I am in love with my '02 Escape because of it's responsiveness, safety, and beauty. BUT ..... I think I got a jinxed model - I am having problems with the brake light and an apparent leak in the brake fluid liquid container. I have been to the dealer 4 times and I am ready to get rid of the car. Maybe I got a faulty model because I have researched this model and haven't stumbled upon chronic brake issue with my car.

Favorite Features

Neat design - the car is not too large or too small. I feel safe in it !

Suggested Improvements

The plastic features inside should be made of sturdier platic. There is not feature for recycling ventilation from within.