2001 Ford Escape SUV - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Escape model:
My First SUV
By EscapeKid on 10/23/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Ford Escape SUV XLT 4WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I love it! It's so car-like and so versatile! It is also great in the snow and ice!

AWESOME AUTOMOBILE
By gla2174 on 10/23/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Ford Escape SUV XLS 2WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Love the car. Plenty of interior space for a small suv. I'm 6'4" and have plenty of driver room. I've had it for almost 1 year and it has 60000 miles and I have had NO problems whatsoever. Great car.

Best of Breed
By Escapist on 08/16/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Ford Escape SUV XLT 4WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

There's not much that I don't like about my Escape. It has plenty of power for my (admittedly basic) needs, while providing an overall smooth and comfortable ride. It does great in the snow, hauls butt up Snoqualmie pass with four adults, boots, gear, and lunch in back and skis on top. I love the exterior look, 16 inch wheels are the best. Beats the snot out of the Jeep Liberty for way less $$; smaller than a Cherokee or Explorer and I like it that way. Has an annoying creak (not crack) in the rear window; haven't been able to find the source.

Then and Now
By siya46 on 07/21/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Ford Escape SUV XLT 2WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Delivered 11/01, 87000 miles now. It was a perfect downsize from an Explorer and the 2xfwd is just fine for Michigan winters. Have kept up with recalls. No maintenance problems other than replacing 1 front stabilizer bar (it was "thunking" on bumps. Plan to run it 2-3 more years.

Great smaller SUV
By Average Joe2 on 07/14/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Ford Escape SUV XLT 4WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Great SUV overall. Had no problems through 3+ years of ownership. Has great pickup speed and better fuel efficiency than many SUV's. Comfortable ride and fun/sporty to drive. 4x4 is just as good if not better than my previous full size SUV.

Fun Car
By Pat Luegger on 07/07/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Ford Escape SUV XLT 4WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought the Escape to replace an aging TransSport because I needed 4WD & also wanted a smaller vehicle. It has been a fun car to drive but I have had a number of mechanical problems including the car stalling for no apparent reason, the coolant sign coming on for no apparent reason plus today, I had to have the vapor MGM valve replaced. (I only have 41000 miles on my car.)

Love the Escape but not the engine
By Debidoodl on 06/29/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Ford Escape SUV XLT 2WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I love my 2001 Escape XLT. It has a sunroof, 6 cd changer, great speakers, good speed. Only, at 50,000 miles, I've already had to replace the master cylinder, power brake booster, brakes, and have 2 recalls fixed. Now, my engine light is on for the 2nd time in 3 weeks. How can I be attached to a car that is making me question why I bought domestic? I've owned a Honda and Toyota, loved both of them, particularly the lack of maintenance issues. I'm struggling with whether or not to replace this car, before I finish paying it off! I'm just concerned about future issues if it's had so many at 50,000 miles!

first time buying used car
By schoolbus on 04/30/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Ford Escape SUV XLT 2WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

This is the first time I decided to let the other person take the depreciation. I have owned this car for 14 months and its been great. It had come off a lease and was in prefect shape. I had the dealer throw in a 100k warranty but haven't used it yet. I did, however, use the factory warranty right away for 3 minor problems. The car is a little bumpy since it is a SUV but has a lot of pep (V6) and handles quite nice. I only use it for local driving and going to the mountains. My husband hates the chrome yellow color but I can always find it. I don't think I will ever buy new again.

Great Value, Great Fun
By Anke2000 on 04/18/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Ford Escape SUV XLS 2WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I really love this car! It is an SUV, but small, has tons of room inside, yet handles and feels more like a compact. Although it only has 4 cylinders, since it is a standard, I get incredible control and manouverablity. I like that I sit high enough to have a great view all around (enhanced by windows everywhere -> the blind spot is minimal), it is not so hight that I need to climb up into it. All around a really great deal for such a "small" package.

Perfect SUV
By GGreenman on 04/18/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Ford Escape SUV XLT 2WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Great SUV that has answered all of our calls. Gas mileage has been consistantly in the range of 19 to 22. Once we got rid of the OEM Firestones that came with the veheicle its been unstoppable in snow. We bought the Escape new and other than a couple of factory recalls we have had "0" problems, we would not hesitate in purchasing another Ford Escape.