Used 2001 Ford Escape SUV Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Ford Escape - Consumer Reviews

2001 Ford Escape SUV

View reviews for a specific Escape model:

Good Little SUV
By olcrank

2001 Ford Escape SUV XLS 4WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Always impressed with handling, acceleration,and visibility. Drove on road and off road for five years never had a problem. Of course seldom "beat" the little bugger, and maintained as prescribed. Not as tough as a Jeep,and a little shy in the ground clearance dept. but all around a great little SUV.

Favorite Features

Driveability, MPG, visibility, size, ergonomic convenience.

Suggested Improvements

OEM tires pick up stones and are somewhat noisy.

Escape Now In Panama
By Ric

2001 Ford Escape SUV XLS 2WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

The Escape Rocks! I purchased it new the first year it came out. My reason purchasing the Escape was for the ease of placing my windsurfing boards and equipment on top. I have taken this SUV on many of windsurfing trips with a lot of gear inside and on the top. I have had only slight issues with the Escape. Clutch master went out on a road trip to New Orleans. Went to the auto parts store and fixed it myself. Steel trending came off of the rear tire and broke of some of the trim. Problem was the tire not the Escape. I have now retired to Panama and have taken my Escape with me. We have great roads down here but the gas is a little high down here, the highway mileage is great

Favorite Features

Dependable with a 100500 miles. Holds up well in saltwater environments. Drives like a car, not a truck. Lots of rear storage room. Gets good gas mileage for an SUV. Good sound system. Very good A/C system. Wide body which is very stable for mountain and hill driving. Very powerful engine.

Suggested Improvements

Just make the plastic trim a little stronger. Real world roof racks would be nice.

Not too shabby
By Jeff

2001 Ford Escape SUV XLT 4WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Overall pretty happy with our V6 XLT 4x4 at 83,350 now. Handled tough Colorado 4x4 trails well even without low range (as well as slippery roads). Only a few problems: idle air control valve and blower motor died. ~22 mpg HWY, ~18 city.

Favorite Features

Good looks, 4x4 option if I need it, good size vs mpg fit

Suggested Improvements

Plastic exterior trim is textured and tough to get wax out of, little less driver lumbar support (even at minimum setting), perforated leather for better breathability in summer

It's falling apart on me
By runnergirl

2001 Ford Escape SUV XLT 2WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I love the way this car looks and the way it drives. The problem I have it that it's falling apart, literally. I've replaced 2 stereos, 4 sensors, 1 sunroof motor and still need work done. The leather is peeling off 3 of 4 doors, my sunroof now has a leak, the motor is dying on the sunroof again, the front passenger door doesn't open from the outside and the tailgate only opens when it feels like it. Very frustrating when I've got a load of groceries and the tailgate won't open.

Favorite Features

Comfy and plenty of room

Suggested Improvements

There is no ventilation in the back seat. The a/c could use a little more oomph and a couple of vents in the back would be good. My daughter complains regularly about it being hot back there.

Excellent Escape 2001 AWD
By matthew516

2001 Ford Escape SUV XLT 4WD 4dr SUV (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I have no complaints. My 01 Escape has almost 100k miles and everything is still in like new working order. Hardly any squeaks or rattles. The 4 wheel independent suspension and AWD make this SUV outstanding in all conditions. GOOD QUALITY!

Favorite Features

Without a doubt the All Wheel Drive and traction in slippery conditions performs outstanding!

Suggested Improvements

The only suggestion I have is with the windshield wiper (front and rear) control levers. The front you have to lift up to turn on, and the rear you have to pull down to turn on. I sometimes get mixed up and end up spraying the windshields. Overall excellent vehicle.