2006 Dodge Caravan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Caravan model:
Mechanical Lemon, Regret Buying
By chrzanow on 01/05/12 11:57 AM (PST)

2006 Dodge Caravan SXT 4dr Minivan (3.3L 6cyl 4A)

This car is a LEMON. 70,000 miles entire navigation and panel unit failed. 100,000 miles alternator died, transmission aux unit blew out, radiator failed, lots of oil leaks. 120,000 miles another alternator died, retractable doors fail, plastic parts on stow and go seats failed causing seat frame to not stow, cooling system leaking, and now warning lights keep coming on and off (ABS, airbag, etc) for no reason. This car is junk. I will NEVER buy a Dodge product again. I should have learned with my 1998 Caravan. That car’s transmission blew out at 100,000. Now at 150,000 the computer keeps dying and not allowing the car to start.

5 Year Review
By joegiant on 09/28/11 07:21 AM (PDT)

2006 Dodge Caravan SXT 4dr Minivan (3.3L 6cyl 4A)

Have had "Bonnie" now for 5 years. #1 thing about the van - value. Bought new and Chysler was giving these away at the time so I thought I'd take one since we needed the "family vehicle" for kids sports etc. etc. As noted on Edmunds reliability rating, our SXT 3.3L did in fact have the water pump go at 45k. The rack and pinion steering was replaced within the first year of ownership. Aside from regular maintenance, that's about it. Currently 71k on the odometer. Will admit, for a lower hp'ed V6, not real good on gas. 21mpg all around I'm guessing, lil' better on the hwy but nowhere near the sticker 26 mpg. Very comfortable ride IMHO. American made (Fenton, MO) which is hard to find today.

Very good vehicle
By CassM on 07/08/09 19:19 PM (PDT)

2006 Dodge Caravan SXT 4dr Minivan (3.3L 6cyl 4A)

Very few problems at 39,000 miles. All minor. Great ride. Cant complain, after 3.5 years. I expected much worse, from reading 'expert' reviews before I bought the vehicle.

Not, so good
By gavalladares on 01/30/09 11:14 AM (PST)

2006 Dodge Caravan SXT 4dr Minivan (3.3L 6cyl 4A)

This is not a real good car, I thought It will start to break down after five years of the date was built. I got a 2006 and it's down already. I had 14 months since I got it, and I'm disappointed with it. I believe the problem I got now it has to do with the ignition coil, the other problem, I had it with the "check engine" light, The mechanic said it was the catalytic converter. The paint job is not very good, the back seat is uncomfortable, the interior materials used are cheap. The engine lacks torque. You can't expect more of it. You have to drive it with care. The back seats are uncomfortable.

First Minivan I can say I LOVE to drive!
By Soccer Dad on 04/11/08 15:38 PM (PDT)

2006 Dodge Caravan SXT 4dr Minivan (3.3L 6cyl 4A)

Great ride and handling, and sleek styling. Lots of head and leg room for front passengers over 6 ft tall.

Great
By speeking9 on 11/19/07 21:43 PM (PST)

2006 Dodge Caravan SXT 4dr Minivan (3.3L 6cyl 4A)

I love the Caravan, my second one. Handles great and rides like a Cadilac. Great heater for Alaska winters at 40 below and starts very easy cold temps. The Caravan is the best auto I have ever had by far and I have had a lot cars of all brands and not one has ever met the reliability the Caravan has.

First Month
By Robert on 09/26/06 20:00 PM (PDT)

2006 Dodge Caravan SXT 4dr Minivan (3.3L 6cyl 4A)

Have owned a Grand Caravan in the past. Like the looks and the size of the standard. SXT model came equipped with all of the desired options. Appreciate the comfortable mid-row bucket seats. Keeps the kids seperated and happy (and that makes me happy). Looking forward to many family trips.

The fun ride
By michelle becklehimer on 08/19/06 07:09 AM (PDT)

2006 Dodge Caravan SXT 4dr Minivan (3.3L 6cyl 4A)

I bought this van to go on vacations and for my son who is in sports. It's easy to handle and easy to park, and I will buy a another one just like it because it is so convenient for me to have all the room and the good gas mileage

Pretty nice little van.
By Reid Benham on 08/04/06 16:35 PM (PDT)

2006 Dodge Caravan SXT 4dr Minivan (3.3L 6cyl 4A)

Nice to drive, wish it gave better gas mileage. Driver's seat is difficult to move back and forth. No defects in material or workmanship. In 6,600 miles I have changed the oil twice and rotated the tires, not bad for American Iron.

A basic people hauler
By Duff on 06/09/06 12:52 PM (PDT)

2006 Dodge Caravan SXT 4dr Minivan (3.3L 6cyl 4A)

Performance is fair to good. Acceleration from a stop is mediocre, but at highway speed passing acceleration is very good. Ride is good and comfort is very good. The standard Caravan is more reliable than the Grand Caravan (backed up by Consumer Reports), probably because it has fewer creature comforts. If you are looking for a basic people hauler that is also comfortable for long trips, gets decent mileage (better than the larger engine of the Grand Caravan), is fun to drive and nice looking, the Caravan is a solid choice.

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.