Used 2005 Chevrolet Malibu Consumer Reviews - 174 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Chevrolet Malibu - Consumer Reviews

2005 Chevrolet Malibu

View reviews for a specific Malibu model:

2005 Mailibu Maxx Best Car Ever!
By Paul

2005 Chevrolet Malibu LT 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

Three years of great driving and lots of power with v-6 engine. Had no problems during warranty period. However, recently noticed a noise in the steering. Car is now 3 months out of warranty and dealer called GM for me and they replaced steering column paying 75% of total cost. I was happy with this gesture from GM. I was out $150 on the total cost of repair. Car has been great in snow and ice. I got 4 studless snow tires and wheels from Tire Rack.com and it is rock solid in bad weather conditions in Idaho.

Hatchback feature allows room for skis, bicycle and tons of stuff with rear seats down. V-6 that averages 28+ mpg on road at high speeds. Suspension great on mountain roads and switchbacks. I have had five 6' adults seated in this car no problem

Bring back the Maxx! Everyone who sees the cars asks about it. I was surprised to have the steering problem with less than 30K miles on the car. GM was generous with the fix cost. Perhaps they have resolved this issue with newer models of the Malibu.

GM gor it right
By Amazed

2005 Chevrolet Malibu LS 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

Bought this car from Budget Car Sales - a lease return at 70,000 Kilometers. 6 months driving & no problems. Budget supplied new premium tires and battery as part of a deal that was better than from new/used GM dealer. Gas mileage around city is an amazing 28 mpg (U.S. gallons)and freeway (interstate 90 from Spokane to Seattle at the posted speed limit 34 mpg. The flow meter on the radio is very accurate.

Great sound system!

I will NEVER buy another Chevy
By Nikki

2005 Chevrolet Malibu LS 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I purchased my Malibu 14 months ago. 6 cylinder, looked sporty and was roomy. I loved it for one whole month, and then it started to fall apart. In the last year, I have dealt with and replaced the following: power steering module twice, entire steering column, slip joint, lower control arm, tie rod, all four rotors and brake pads. The horn fuse lasts about 1 week before it blows out, and there is a short in the electrical system, and because of it I have replaced all turn signals and head/brake lamps in the last year. And the sun roof pours water into the back seat, and every drop shows on the cheap material. I am looking for a new car, and I will never ever buy another Chevy.

Good used car
By Dave B

2005 Chevrolet Malibu 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 4A)

I love the overall gas mileage. The 4 cyclinder has good pep. I have noticed the sun roof rattles? Squeeks every now and then along with the brakes as well at times. I commute 80 miles a day and find it to be a comfortable ride. I always look forward to driving since I bought the vehicle. No regrets thus far.

Gas mileage, interior/exterior design

Better brakes and interior fabric is needed.

Not too great
By Arnold

2005 Chevrolet Malibu 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 4A)

I had this car for three years. Fuel consumption is great, all controls are good location. Smooth ride. Steering control and braking is excellent. Visibilty is great. Stereo doesnt have aux input and hard or cannot be upgraded. engine are noisy. I sent the car several times to the dealership for steering problem, cd drive running continously, small area paint peeling off under 2 front door and at the luggage door. Within two years under 12000 miles, they had replaced the lower ball joint and lower arm assembly due to clunking noise in the front suspension when it hit a bump even though that I drive it carefully.

Good fuel economy, braking performance is excellent, it saves me from hitting another car in front of me.

Reliability should be improved, they should stick to the older design that work perfecly.